PDA

View Full Version : Exit from AT at GA/NC

rowdyredMTSU
05-16-2011, 21:56
Sorry if this is posted at the wrong location. I'm new to the site. I am planning a one week section hike from springer to the NC border. Does anyone know the most convenient location to exit the AT from the Bly Gap area? My destination is the Bly Gap tree but would it be easier for me to backtrack or hike on through to Deep Gap for usfs 71? I'm still in the early planning stages so any info would be helpful. Basically, what is the fastest way to civilization after crossing the GA/NC border?

chiefiepoo
05-16-2011, 23:22
Came through this section last week. You really owe it to yourself to go up Courthouse Bald for nearly 800' in 1.3 miles on the way to FS 71. Big parking lot there with many chances to ask for a ride to US 64 and Franklin or west toward Hayesville. A shuttle driver was asking $15 pp to ride the ~ 7 down to 64 and then 15 mi more into F'lin. Alternative is to hike from AT and FS 71 down the Kimsey creek trail 3.7 miles to Standing Indian CG. The road from CG to US 64 is paved and is shorter then FS71. Locals might have a better take on this, just my recent experience.

map man
05-17-2011, 00:20
For the sake of future section hikes you might string together, it would be better to go on to USFS 71/Deep Gap than to backtrack to Dick's Creek Gap, or find a non-AT route from the vicinity of Bly Gap to some road. You could pick up a future AT section hike right where you left off at Deep Gap (so long as you didn't plan to hike in winter -- Deep Gap is not accessible to vehicles during most winter months).

Trailweaver
05-17-2011, 00:39
You plan to hike north to Bly Gap. You will be crossing FSR 72 just after Plumorchard Shelter at Blue Ridge Gap. If you hike to the left down that road one mile, it runs into a paved road, where you could have a shuttle driver pick you up. If you want to hike north to Bly Gap, cross the road and go 3-4 miles to Bly Gap. The shortest way out is to backtrack to Blue Ridge and get a pick up. Most shuttle drivers will not pick you up on the FSR because it's in awful shape and no one wants to tear up their vehicle, but it's an easy hike out to the paved road.

If you continue from Bly Gap north, you will have to hike out to Deep Gap, and the FSR there (which is in much better shape to drive on) for a pick up. It is 6.8 miles from Bly Gap to Deep Gap (according to my AT guide).

Either way, arrange your pick up in advance or make your cell phone calls from a high place on the trail, because you cannot get reception at either Blue Gap or Deep Gap. The FSR from Deep Gap is a better road, but much longer (several miles) to the nearest paved road. Shuttlers will drive there with no problem.

shoe
05-17-2011, 02:55
I'm with map man. Hike on to Deep Gap so you can pick up where you left off.
I have ATT and I get cell phone service at Deep Gap.

If you need a shuttle I would call Ron Haven in Franklin.

generoll
05-17-2011, 06:35
IMO, it's always better to hike too you car rather then count on a pickup when you end your hike. Park at Deep Gap (where FS 71 ends) and have your shuttler pick you up there and take you to your starting point. FS 71 is a well maintained forest service road and easily driveable in any type of vehicle. The parking lot is unmistakable and has trash cans and the sight of your car there at the end of your hike will certainly be welcome.

Send me a PM if you want shuttle info.

Liv2Ride
05-17-2011, 07:45
IMO, it's always better to hike too you car rather then count on a pickup when you end your hike......

I absolutey agree.

10-K
05-17-2011, 07:50
This gets asked so often it needs to be a sticky......

moshi
05-17-2011, 10:27
Add a little extra mileage and hike out Chunky Gal Trail to Hwy 64.

moshi
05-17-2011, 10:29
Basically, what is the fastest way to civilization after crossing the GA/NC border?

Did not see this part.

I agree with map man.

Kerosene
05-17-2011, 13:55
I got off my GA section hike at Deep Gap at the base of Standing Indian. Actually, I walked the 4 miles down the Kimsey Creek Trail to the Standing Indian Campground, from where I hitched a ride with the campground attendant to my car at the old Rainbow Springs Campground.

rowdyredMTSU
05-17-2011, 19:46
Thanks so much everybody. My plans are to leave my vehicle at the FS 71 parking lot near Deep Gap because as a few of you have mentioned, the thought of my truck at the end of a hike sounds extremely comforting. My preliminary plan is for my girlfriend to follow me to the parking lot at Deep Gap. We will drop my truck off and drive to lodging near Springer. The next morning my girlfriend will drop me off at FS .09 m. from Springer. If for some reason my gf is not able to make the drop off my plans are to get a hold of Standing Indian Campground, generoll, or Ron Haven for transport. Does this sound like a solid plan? Thanks again everybody

max patch
05-17-2011, 20:37
That will work perfectly.

Let me throw one last thing out for you to consider.

I've left a car at Deep Gap many times without issue. However, if this was my trip I'd leave my car inside Standing Indian Campground and pay a small fee to do so. You'll have to hike the 3.5 mile Kimsey Creek Trail to get from Deep Gap to Standing Indian. (Do not leave a car for multiple days at the backcounty parking area outside of Standing Indian Campground).

chiefiepoo
05-17-2011, 20:58
That will work perfectly.

Let me throw one last thing out for you to consider.

I've left a car at Deep Gap many times without issue. However, if this was my trip I'd leave my car inside Standing Indian Campground and pay a small fee to do so. You'll have to hike the 3.5 mile Kimsey Creek Trail to get from Deep Gap to Standing Indian. (Do not leave a car for multiple days at the backcounty parking area outside of Standing Indian Campground).

Very good idea here. It will save him and GF 14 miles or so of gravel road. And Kimsey creek trail is a nice walk.