PDA

View Full Version : Sock suggestions?

MisplacedMainer
05-17-2011, 09:10
I know most people have their own favorite hiking socks, and that its quite subjective, but I was just curious as to what is everyones favorite/most liked sock type or brand?

Tinker
05-17-2011, 10:08
http://www.defeet.com/product.php?id=407

My current favorites. I've used Smartwool and find the Woolie Bullies to be as comfortable yet more durable. I've also used Sam's Club Omni-wool socks, which are as good as Smartwool and less expensive, and Thor-lo hikers which are the most durable but not nearly as comfortable as socks containing at least 50% Marino wool. Ragg socks are not Marino and are itchy, requiring liners which, generally, do not wick as well as wool and, in my case at least, actually increase heat as they rub against the wool outer socks.

Doc Mike
05-17-2011, 10:22
darn tough

JAK
05-17-2011, 10:28
Keep an eye out for wool dress socks, like 78% wool, 20% nylone, 2% spandex or whatever. Don't be afraid of knee socks either. You might like them with short, or you can always cut them down. Make great hiking socks, and wash and dry easily in the field.

tiptoe
05-17-2011, 10:32
darn tough.

High Life
05-17-2011, 11:17
just picked up two pairs of Darn Tough yesterday , hiking-trek cushion 1/4
65% merino wool -31% nylon 4% lycra/spandex..
www.darntough.com (http://www.darntough.com) if your in the boston area ,check out hiltons tent city 272 friend st. - they have them pretty cheap 13.95 and then will ship them
www.hiltonstentcity.com (http://www.hiltonstentcity.com)

MisplacedMainer
05-17-2011, 11:47
Had never heard of darn tough until today. apparently people really love them. I'll have to pick up a pair or three and give'em a go. :-?

Chuch
05-17-2011, 11:51
Darn Tough here as well. USA made on the best knitting machines money can buy. They stand up to the name. My favorites are the crew or 1/4 with cusion on the bottom only. Not all merino wool is equal and they use the best.

bigcranky
05-17-2011, 11:58
The Darn Tough are good. I also like various Smartwool socks.

dmax
05-17-2011, 12:00
darn tough

Chad
05-17-2011, 12:17
I had never heard of Darn Tough socks before either. Is it necessary to wear a liner sock with these socks?

tiptoe
05-17-2011, 12:27
I don't. They fit nice and snug. I've not had blisters wearing them.

Tipi Walter
05-17-2011, 12:33
Socks . . . . they come and go. I started with the wool-type rag socks, Wigwams, etc and then went with the Thorlos for a long while and then got involved with a couple pair of Bridgedales and now sit comfy with the Smartwool Mountaineer---their heaviest merino sock. The more cushioning, the better, and I use these socks in the winter and the summer. I can't pull the double sock routine---one will invariably ruck up over or under the other---not good.

Doc Mike
05-17-2011, 12:56
no liners needed in darn tough and no blisters so far (knock knock on wood)

Spokes
05-17-2011, 13:51
I really like Bridgedales but came to enjoy Darn Toughs towards the end of my thru hike.

Oh, and don't get caught up in thinking you need a separate "sock liner" since most modern hiking socks have double loop inner construction which acts as a built in liner anyway.

Cheers!

Chuch
05-17-2011, 13:55
Yeah, I am a little bit bias lol, but I suppose its ok. I have been fortunate enough to visit Darn Tough's 3rd generation family owned and operated knitting faciltiy in VT and its a sight to see. What sight? American's still running a sock factory of this size....hand inspecting each and every pair you can put on your feet. They support their community, their employees and also build and design socks in conjunction with our Military. Give them a shot for those of you that haven't, I think you'll dig em'. I am a sucker for companies with character and who have a story to tell. That's Darn Tough in the world of socks.

MisplacedMainer
05-18-2011, 08:32
Yeah, I am a little bit bias lol, but I suppose its ok. I have been fortunate enough to visit Darn Tough's 3rd generation family owned and operated knitting faciltiy in VT and its a sight to see. What sight? American's still running a sock factory of this size....hand inspecting each and every pair you can put on your feet. They support their community, their employees and also build and design socks in conjunction with our Military. Give them a shot for those of you that haven't, I think you'll dig em'. I am a sucker for companies with character and who have a story to tell. That's Darn Tough in the world of socks.

I'm a big fan of made in America products. Even if these were just "okay" ones, I would still buy some just to support that company. Guess I'll be spending some money today! :)

Skid.
05-19-2011, 08:30
Another vote for Darn Tough.

LBJ
05-19-2011, 08:33
i know most people have their own favorite hiking socks, and that its quite subjective, but i was just curious as to what is everyones favorite/most liked sock type or brand?

smartwool!!

rusane
05-19-2011, 08:38
Darn Tough

d.o.c
05-19-2011, 08:58
darn tough

MisplacedMainer
05-19-2011, 09:01
you all sure you don't work for darn tough?! ;)

Doc Mike
05-19-2011, 09:10
I wish I did might get a good price on the socks. lol

Rick500
05-19-2011, 09:11
Injinji toe socks. With or without FiveFingers shoes. I used to have problems with my little toe rubbing up against the one next to it, causing blisters. Solved.

I also like Dahlgren alpaca wool socks. Darn Tough is great too.

So there's my top three, in that order.

The Old Boot
05-19-2011, 15:23
Has anyone tried hand knit socks at all?

I use them with a thin pair of synthetic socks now but I've not done anything but day hiking with them so I don't know how they'd be for the smell factor after several days.