PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks.. help.. drowning....

MadAussieInLondon
01-28-2005, 10:30
So Im looking for a new backpack... and Im quite frustrated by it.

Every gear manufacturer seems to think if its less than 60-75L then it gets a bloody crap hipbelt and harness.

Basically all I want is a good harness + hipbelt with a 50L capacity. But all the 50L packs I can find all have a really flimsy hipbelt or you just get 'fins' and a polypro webbing strap with a buckle on it.

I want the hipbelt+suspension of a 75L pack with a 50L body :( nobody seems to make this. Im not going for uber ultralight walmart plastic bag on your shoulders, and i dont care if its 4lbs. I want it comfortable FIRST and foremost, but not the 75Litre capacity they seem to bring.

gear manufacturers dont seem to realise that you can still carry 40 pounds in a 50L pack.

My other problem is my size, I dont have a huge waist so most hipbelts will touch on the ends when i tighten them, and smaller 50Lish packs dont have adjustable hipbelts, so Im mostly looking at women specific packs which seem to come in XS sizes as well as S...

And when you look at the pics on the manufacturers sites, you get a great shot of the back of it, but pretty much never any of the hipbelt+harness setup... grrrrr

Does anyone have any options?

I've looked on the web at various ones;

osprey aether 60 - cant adjust hipbelt
osprey ceres 50 - same
osprey luna 60 WS - Too heavy (5lbs for XS, 6lbs for S)
osprey aether 45 - cant find it anymore on osprey website... bad hipbelt.
macpac - everything under 75L has a crap harness/hipbelt
gregory - Siren 40 WS - looks good but havnt seen what the hipbelt is like
marmot eiger 45 - cant tell what the hipbelt is like, looks very lean and flimsy.

My two contenders I guess right now are one women specific packs;

Gregory WM Siren 40 (XS=4.10/39L, S=4.12/40L) (same autocant harness+hipbelt as my gregory reality, which is a good thing).

The osprey luna is just too heavy at 5 to 6 lbs.. otherwise.. heh.

hmm I am very much leaning toward the Siren 40... shame its not like 50 ahaha aaaaah will I ever be satisfied...

I guess I should add what I currently have;

black diamond sphynx 45L, size is spot on but the hipbelt is crap and the shoulder straps hurt after a while...

osprey aether 75 - very comfortable but too big, and they dont make a smaller hipbelt, the hipbelt draw/tightening system is very nice!

gregory reality - I think mine is about 65-70L.. nice but too big. like the autocant harness/hipbelt tho... If I could get this in say 50L capacity, Id be laughing happy... just make the body a bit narrower instead of so voluminous... spot on...

what else should I look up?

Moose2001
01-28-2005, 10:42
Wow...does all of this sound familar!! I went through the exact same exercise this past year. I too like a smaller pack with a good, solid waist belt and harness. You are correct, they are very difficult to find. I seriously looked at the Osprey Crescent 60. Same suspension system as the larger Crescent packs. Lots of good reports on Osprey packs. I think the only reason I didn't buy it was I couldn't get my hands on it before the purchase. I hate buying something that I can't see and touch first. Hmmm, I just looked at Osprey's webpage and it looks like they dropped the Crescent 60 from the 2005 line. I bet you could still find one online somewhere.

I ended up going back to a Gregory Forester pack. It was a comprimise for me. I love my Gregory Lassen but it's just too big and heavy. Of course, it's also in standby status in case I decide I don't like my current pack.

Good luck. I'd be interested in what pack you end up with!

jlb2012
01-28-2005, 10:55
Have you taken a look at a Moonbow Gearskin? Since its basically a custom pack you can get any size hipbelt you want. It also adjusts to large and small loads a lot more reasonably that other light weight packs. The hip belt is not bad - not as good as a Gregory hipbelt but similar in style and reasonably comfortable IMO.

tlbj6142
01-28-2005, 10:59
What about the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (only 3#)? I know it has replaceable shoulderstraps and hipbelts. Many folks love the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (the Ozone's little brother). The Ozone just adds a "real" frame and highly adjustable shoulderstraps and hipbelts just like those on the big-n-heavy packs.

tlbj6142
01-28-2005, 11:02
Might want to look at some of the 45-55L Arc-teryx packs. I'm not sure they have replaceable belts/straps, but I know all of their bigger packs do. So, I wouldn't be surprised if some of thier smaller packs do as well.

chris
01-28-2005, 11:03
If you are ever in Canada, something Serratus' Alpine 65 is about what you want, even if it is a mountaineering pack. Or, their Alladin II, which is about 44 L in size long and is a great pack. I've been using it for about 4 years now and love it. It been kicked around on the AT, Nepal, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Lebanon, Syria, and other locals where you might imagine gear gets a bit of a thrashing. The hip belt is good and stable.

You might also check out some of Arc'teryx's de-tuned mountaineering packs, like the khamsin.

mattyg2
01-28-2005, 11:08
Try contacting the manufacturers directly.

I know the larger capacity aethers have a removable hip belt to help customize the fit, and I have heard other people sending their 60's back to have a new belt put on. Give them a call and see if they can just fit the right belt for you and ship it directly.

Gregory also has a very good reputation, and one of the best suspension systems (in my humble opinion) if you don't mind the extra weight.

I'm sure one of these companies would be able to help you out, or put you in touch with someone that can.

good luck,
Matt

tlbj6142
01-28-2005, 11:18
Try contacting the manufacturers directly.This is a problem when shopping online. Many of the local outfitters have access to various sized replaceable parts. Yet another reason to shop at your local outfitters.

A-Train
01-28-2005, 11:21
Mad Aussie,

Why not check out the ULA packs made by Brian Frankel? I believe the P2 has a very strong frame and hipbelt amd can hold on the upside of 45 lbs or so. It only weights around 48 oz or so.

I have no experience with the pack but knew a couple thru-hikers in 03' that loved that pack and were not lightweighters by any means. Good luck

SGT Rock
01-28-2005, 11:23
Have you taken a look at a Moonbow Gearskin? Since its basically a custom pack you can get any size hipbelt you want. It also adjusts to large and small loads a lot more reasonably that other light weight packs. The hip belt is not bad - not as good as a Gregory hipbelt but similar in style and reasonably comfortable IMO.

I completely agree with HOI, the Gearskin is a miricle. A custom pack at a good price and weighs very little. It can adapt from small to large loads easy.

tlbj6142
01-28-2005, 11:33
I completely agree with HOI, the Gearskin is a miricle. A custom pack at a good price and weighs very little. It can adapt from small to large loads easy.My bother (Father Ounce '04) just completed an AT thru-hike with his Gearskin. He did have an issue with the hipbelt getting too big in the middle of his hike due to weight loss. So, he bummed a pack from me and sent his off to Moonbow for an express fix. I think he had it back in less than a week.

lightning
01-28-2005, 12:02
i have the medium aether 60 (3#6oz?). got the newer model (2002, i think) and, as matt mentioned too, had to send mine back twice:
(1st) to cut hipbelt to fit my 30" waist and fix a stay that ripped thru the top. they were aware of the problem, returned quickly and "fixed." the hipbelt compressor straps were now functionless.
(2nd) to repair mesh pockets (new at the time) and functionless comp.straps. returned super-quickly and fixed, with NEW hipbelt.
i believe i have a great pack -now-. i think i'll attempt my first thru-hike with it (06).
(rumor has it the year i bought mine was the first year they began manufacturing overseas???)

Wastrel
01-28-2005, 12:06
My wife just switched to a silly nylon Gossamer Gear Miraposa at 1 lb, so we have an Arc'Teryx BOREA available.

Black GridStop, 2,900ci / 47L, 3#-15 oz, Panel & top loading, multitudes of pockets.
It's short torso with a medium hipbelt. My wife is 5'-3" x 115 lbs, but it fits my 5'-10" x 160 lb. frame as well. Check it out at Moosejaw.com. or I can send you some pictures if you're interested.

Tough as nails with a quite substantial suspension and interchangable hipbelt.
Same as new condition !! Sells for $275, asking $150. It needs a new home!

Jim

TDale
01-28-2005, 12:11
Just to ask the obvious, have you considered external frame packs? Usually have great hipbelts and suspensions even on lighter, smaller models.

The Solemates
01-28-2005, 13:12
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7291

RenaissanceMan98
01-28-2005, 13:33
Check out the P-2 on this site:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

It's getting great reviews from ultralighters as well as mainstream reviewers.

You order the size hipbelt that you need, along with several other options

dje97001
01-28-2005, 14:15
I don't contribute much to this site (lack of information), and I always feel like a broken record when I do... my wife and I have ULA P2s, no idea how many liters it can carry (I don't think in that volume) but it is around 4000 cubic inches--google tells me that is around 65 liters (collar goes up to 80L) which seems too large for you. The P1 has 3350 cu in. (55 L) but can go up to 4250 cu in (70L) with the collar. The shoulder pads/hipbelt look identical (from what I can see in the photos) to the P2's and they are certainly comfortable at 30-35 lbs. of weight and manageable at 40. This was an editor's pick in backpacker's 2005 gear guide. Brian seems like a great guy and was extremely helpful when I had questions. The range of the P1 certainly seems to cover the gap your are looking at.

dje97001
01-28-2005, 14:29
Correction: ULA's fusion was tabbed by backpacker this year, the P2 was in 2003, the P1 wasnt, but I think this recognition indicates a solid track record by ULA (Even if you aren't a fan of the mag).

But the P1 and P2 allow selection of various sized framesheets and hipbelts (they can be different, m belt and lg frame...etc.)

MadAussieInLondon
01-28-2005, 15:08
after poking around Ive found out that Gregory Europe make a European only pack

http://www.esc-outdoor.co.uk/chaos.htm

which fits exactly what I wanted, same suspension system + hipbelt as my reality, and running at 45Litres...

another photo here (scroll down + click on the chaos)
http://www.gearshack.co.uk/acatalog/Midsize_Packs___about_40_50_litres.html

so I think, this might be what I was looking for... hmm.. must do more checking...

Kerosene
01-28-2005, 16:43
What about the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (only 3#)? I know it has replaceable shoulderstraps and hipbelts. Many folks love the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (the Ozone's little brother). The Ozone just adds a "real" frame and highly adjustable shoulderstraps and hipbelts just like those on the big-n-heavy packs.The criteria are close to those I used to select the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.shtml). You can adjust the suspension quite a bit and use a woman's hip belt and shoulder straps if needed. The frame feels incredible under 30 pounds, and several folks claim it can handle up to 40. Here is my review (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3235) of the pack.

Peaks
01-29-2005, 10:47
Just to ask the obvious, have you considered external frame packs? Usually have great hipbelts and suspensions even on lighter, smaller models.

If you look in the 2005 Backpacker Gear Guide, Kelty is about the only firm still making and external frame pack. And the Forester and Aether packs are lighter than the Kelty Trekker.

TDale
01-29-2005, 12:38
Coleman, Outdoor Products, Jansport, and Texsport are some of the other makers of externals. I own a kelty and an OP external. 30 pounds in my golite Gust and 30 pounds in an external are two totally different experiences. The external may weigh a little more but IMHO the comfort factor is worth it. YMMV.

Stuart
01-29-2005, 13:13
The Arc'teryx Bora 50 seems to me to be the pack you may be looking for. Interchangeable hipbelts, both men and women's. Bora's are reputed for top notch suspension w/ premium shoulder straps and hip belts. Weighs in a 4.6 pounds.

Here is a link to the Bora 50 @ arcteryx.com.....

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?group=Packs&prod=1882#

Haiku
02-04-2005, 00:52
Hey Bloody Cactus,

I switched to a Granite Gear Vapor Trail in Front Royal, and never regretted it for an instant. I love that pack....

It has a complete suspension without using aluminum stays, ultra-ultra-ULTRA padding on the back and belt, and good shoulder straps. You'd probably want a medium or small size (try them on first, if you can find a shop that supplies them in England). The whole thing weighs around 2lbs.

Or, A-Train's suggestion of the ULA P2 is good as well, but those packs are custom made, and may take longer to get.

Haiku.

stupe
02-04-2005, 14:11
My main pack is an external frame , I've had up to 40+ pounds in it on long hikes, sometimes in snow and ice. I got rid of the hip belt years ago, and I don't miss it at all. I cut the belt off my smaller internal frame pack as well.
I believe in the heretical notion that all a hip belt does is stabilize the load. I feel that if you pack properly, and watch your step (something you have to do anyway) the hip belt is unneccesary. Even if a hip belt helped support the weight , most of us gentlemen have no hips to speak of. So what is the hip belt hanging onto? My skinny a** is way too small!

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 14:36
Hey Bloody Cactus,

I switched to a Granite Gear Vapor Trail in Front Royal, and never regretted it for an instant. I love that pack....
===================================
If you've got your load down below 26 - 28 lbs I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more comfortable pack than the Vapor Trail. I got mine in 2003 during my thru-hike. Switched from a Gregory Reality to the Vapor Trail in Pearisburg, VA.

Only other pack I suggest you look at is the Fusion by ULA. Same manufacturer as the P2 but more akin size-wise and weight-wise to the Vapor Trail. After my thru-hike my wife took a liking to my Vapor Trail and I couldn't get it back. Thought about buying a second Vapor Trail and then heard about the Fusion. Also a 2 lb pack but has stronger suspension than the Vapor Trail.

Good luck finding the right pack. Lotsa choices out there.

'Slogger
AT 2003