PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning a Thru Hike

widowmaker3v
05-17-2011, 13:26
I am 26 years old and spent 6 years in the Marine Corps Infantry before medically retiring due to combat related injuries. I am planning to do a thru hike in either 2012 or 2013. I plan on doing the C and O canal for my shakedown (183miles 14 days). What is the average weight of a pack? Shoes or boots? What are some of the most popular packs, tents, sleeping bags, footwear, and clothing used on the trail? What does the usual gear list consist of? Any recommendations or advice for someone planning on a thru-hike? Thank you very much for any help

Spokes
05-17-2011, 13:44
These two articles should be helpful. I used them planning my 2009 thru hike. Lots of tried and true information. Ignore any pop-up screens if you get them.

Hiking an American Classic- The Appalachian Trail (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530)- This 10 page article from BackPacker Magazine is full of interesting stuff plus gives you a run down of what to expect in each section. I printed a copy and referred to it often.

The Mountain Crossings Method (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4)- The only gear list you'll need from pack guru Winton Porter. It'll give you a 14-16 lb base weight cold weather pack minus food and water. Tweak for summer to go even lighter. I'd add a trash compactor bag as a pack liner.

Cheers!

emerald
05-17-2011, 13:53
Go to Appalachian Trail Conservancy's website and read what they have to say about planning a through hike.

The C&O Canal is flat and is not what I would consider to be a good shakedown hike.

widowmaker3v
05-17-2011, 14:02
Thanks alot Spokes!! and Emerald are you familiar with the Maryland Virginia area? if so where do you think would be a good shakedown? I have hiked a bunch in Shenendoah (even sections of the at) What is the ideal length of a shakedown hike? the reason i said C and O canl was because it is the longest i found in the area but the fact that it is flat could make it a false feeling of what to expect so thanks for the input

emerald
05-17-2011, 14:15
It's also suggested people don't take experience with the A.T. in Pennsylvania as representative of what a through hike would be like or their preparedness for such a hike.

You might want to tackle a part of it in the hottest and most humid part of summer, but you should also do some hiking elsewhere that involves the up-and-down kind of hiking more characteristic of Georgia.

emerald
05-17-2011, 14:29
Completing Vermont's Long Trail has been suggested by many as good preparation for an A.T. through hike and a good indicator of one's readiness, but it should be possible to approximate the experience closer to home.

Spokes
05-17-2011, 14:30
I agree with emerald, the ATC site has good info too. Pennsylvania is tough. They say the locals go up on the mountains every night and file the rocks down extra sharp just for the thru hikers. Too funny.

I say go and do as many shakedowns wherever you can. The goal being to constantly tweak your pack and equipment. Where do you prefer keeping your first aid kit, water bottle, sack with valuables, water treatment kit, etc.... You get the picture. Once you get over that learning curve the rest is just hiking and enjoying the scenery.

Have fun.

bigcranky
05-17-2011, 15:10
A week or two on the trail would make a good shakedown. Maybe start at Harper's Ferry and just hike south until you want to stop. Good resupply in Front Royal and in SNP.

The Mountain Crossings method is a great start. Will send you a PM with a slightly broader list.

Have fun.

Feral Bill
05-17-2011, 15:24
Do you have any special needs due to your injuries?

WingedMonkey
05-17-2011, 15:27
No need to hike parts of the AT that you are going to hike again later on your thru. A long hike on the C&O with a loaded back will condition you for a thru hike. If you need more miles start further east or keep going west onto the Great Allegheny Trail. Plenty of sucsessful thru hikers have done the AT after miles put down in flat Florida.

If you really feel the need to do some ups and downs you could take the Tuscarora trail south from the C&O and join the AT to go north back to the C&O at Harper's Ferry.

widowmaker3v
05-17-2011, 16:10
Right now im working on getting the few major things for hike this is what I have looked at any critique or feedback would be greatly appreciated
Pack: REI Flash 65 or Osprey Atmos 65
Tent: REI Quarter Dome T1
Sleeping Bag: Marmot Plasma +15 or Marmot Never Summer
Sleeping Pad: Therm-A-Rest Z-lite

brian039
05-17-2011, 16:15
In addition to the good advice people have already given, read a few trail journals from http://www.trailjournals.com/ to give you an idea of what daily life is like on the trail. Gear is pretty much personalized for each thru-hiker, just try to stay below 30 lbs with food and water.

Spokes
05-17-2011, 16:27
Several ways to skin a catfish widowmaker3v.

The Osprey Atmos 65 is bombproof. They changed the design slightly over the past couple years making the actual torso measurements come up some 2 inches shorter than the 2008 model and still were able to keep the same S-M-L sizing scheme (somehow). So I say make sure you try them on. They're comfortable as hell. I'm sure you'll get others who will recommend the ULA packs. They're pretty sweet too and thru hiker tested.

Lots of people rave about the REI Quarter Dome as an economical alternative. It'll be your home on the trail so consider what you pay your mortgage payment. You really only need a 1 person tent. Weight is ALWAYS a factor to consider since you have to lug it.

I like Marmot stuff. My cold weather bag is the Helium. I swapped it out for a cheap 40 degree LaFuma synthetic during the summer (didn't care for the way it felt and the inside zipper lining stitching fell apart after only 2 weeks. Sure they me a new one but it still sucked)

I've used virtually all the Therm-A-Rest line. To me the Z-lite is agravating. I used a ProLite Plus but next time will just take my old RidgeRest which is lighter and has more insulating power to boot.

Lots of options.

tolkien
05-17-2011, 17:24
Pack: External frame. More comfortable, more sturdy.
Bag: Synthetic. More sturdy, cheaper.
Footwear: Boots. More sturdy, less likely to roll an ankle.
Bring a well-stocked first aid kit just in case, and a good knife.
Also, lurk on the forums.

Blissful
05-17-2011, 18:21

Sorry...have to differ on all of these....
None of these selections mean they are more sturdy (like a synthetic bag?). I've seen boots fall apart just as much as trail runners. Cheaper can mean it fails on a thru hike or not up to expectations like temp bag ratings and are heavier, My internal frame catalyst is comfort galore

Boots keeping ankles from rolling is a misnomer unless they are heavy 4 lb mountaineering type. Poles and exercised ankles are what helps prevent it.

And a well stocked first aid kit can mean just a few items necessary

LDog
05-17-2011, 18:53
Right now im working on getting the few major things for hike this is what I have looked at any critique or feedback would be greatly appreciated

I would strongly recommend that you look at the mountain crossings list, read the prep articles under the Thru Hiking Info tab above, read the forum threads where folks ask for feedback on their packing list, and peruse the basic info over at backpackinglight.com before you buy anything.

Figure out what traditional camping gear you can leave behind, and how you can lighten your load with the stuff you really need - Especially in categories like shelter, backpack, sleeping pad, water treatment, and cooking gear. By lightening your load, you can employ a lighter pack and maybe wear trail running shoes instead of boots. All that will mean you can hike longer and farther with less discomfort.

(There are some great cottage industry companies making great gear right here in the USA that weighs less than you might find at the big box outfitters.)

Conventional wisdom is to get all your other gear together before you buy a pack. You'll have to fit everything, plus food for ~five days and a couple liters of water. Besides required volume, what all that adds up to in pounds may limit your pack choice too. You really don't want to spend several hundred bucks on a pack and tent only to find out what you really need is something different.

Don't ask me how I know ...

Finally, thank you for your service, and I hope to see you on the trail.

Mags
05-17-2011, 19:51
I wrote a quick and dirty guide to the Appalachian Trail. Helps points a hiker planning a backpacking trip on the AT start out:
http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-the-appalachian-trail

AS I said in my doc, planning for the AT can be a bit like drinking from a firehose! Hopefully this doc may make things a bit simpler. :)

Rocket Jones
05-17-2011, 19:58
Like others have suggested: read, read, and read some more. Soak up the collected wisdom here and don't worry about changing your mind about some things a dozen or two times.

Go visit your nearest outfitter and REI. Try the various packs (I have the Flash 65 and really like it), test them with weight in them. Same with shoes or boots and tents and sleeping bags and pads.

You don't need the latest and greatest to enjoy your hike, but get out as often as possible so you become familiar with your gear. Even a night out in your backyard counts.

Don't get so wrapped up in gear that you're not having fun.

Hooch
05-17-2011, 20:29
Recommendation fail.

Not necessarily so. Comfort is more a matter of fit than it is of the matter of the frame being internal or external. An external frame doesn't make the pack more sturdy, either. Sturdiness comes more so with quality construction than anything else.
It's also heavier. Down bag construction has come a long way, expecially in regard to materials, DWR finishes, etc. Down is still the gold standard for warmth, period.
Big negative. Poorly constructed boots are just as likely to delaminate or come apart as poorly constructed shoes or trail runners. This is a very personal choice that a person has to make for themself. Personally, I'm a big fan of Salomon trail runners. Worth every penny.

stickman
05-17-2011, 20:51
Het, Widowmaker3V, I just wanted to say thanks for your service! I'm proud of you and all who serve or served. FWIW, my son was also wounded in Iraq (Army, 82nd Airborne). He's pretty OK, and didn't have to retire but got out when his enlistment was up. Maybe one day he'll also want to thru. Best of luck to you on your hike.

widowmaker3v
05-17-2011, 21:13
wow i greatly appreciate all the help guys!!!! Ive been reading alot of trailjournals today and it sounds amazing. I am going to REI tomorrow to get some hands on with the gear because reading about it online is completely different than actually seeing and testing.

stranger
05-18-2011, 07:32
Andrew Skurka just put out a rough draft of his gear guide, you can request one at www.andrewskurka.com

stickman
05-18-2011, 08:06
One more piece of advice, WidowmakerV3: if in doubt, leave it out. There is always a way to add a piece of gear later if you decide you really need / want to carry something. I'd go as light and minimalist as possible at the beginning. All you REALLY need is some food and a warm, dry place at night.

BTW, I'm doing a 75 mile section of the AT in mid-June. I live in Arlington, Virginia, and will drive down to mid-state, shuttle, and hike back to the car. There maybe a couple of other folks along but that's not certain. I'm about twice as old as you and walk slow, but if you'd like to join up and do that as a shake down, send me a pm and I'll show you the details.
Stickman