PDA

View Full Version : Snow Conditions - Late June early July

Volcano_God
05-17-2011, 14:29
Hi there!

Anyone know whether the snow will have melted off most of the trail by late June? I heard there has been a lot of snow, and for it to melt this year will take a long time.

Are there any sections of the trail you would suggest for a 10 day (~100 mile) trek during this time that are both scenic and will not have snow issues?

Thanks!

DavidNH
05-17-2011, 15:28
This all depends on what part of the trail you are talking about.

From Springer north to England there will most likely be no snow anywhere.

In Green mountains of Vermont, no snow but probably plenty of mud and bugs.

White mountains and up in Maine.. most snow should be gone (but some may remain on highest peaks) and up in Maine you can expect mud, high water stream crossings and so many bugs the state calls the black fly it's state bird!

DavidNH
05-17-2011, 15:29
make that New England.. not England.

and as far as 10 day hike goes.. I'd suggest Shenandoah National park VA.
No snow. Very nice trail, and plenty of bail out points if there's rain.

Nean
05-17-2011, 15:49
make that New England.. not England.

and as far as 10 day hike goes.. I'd suggest Shenandoah National park VA.
No snow. Very nice trail, and plenty of bail out points if there's rain.

Ummm, yeahhh, errr ya know, he's asking about the Colorado Trail....;)

It's still snowing up in them there mountains, but usually come late june early july you can get through w/o too much problem. I think Aug. is a great month to be out there but that doesn't work for a lot of folks. My favorite sections were between Monarch > Spring Creek > Molas Passes. Forget the mileage but that seemed around 10 days.:)

Volcano_God
05-17-2011, 16:13
Are there any sections that you would say that definitely should not be attempted due to snow conditions?

brian039
05-17-2011, 16:27
Hi there!

Anyone know whether the snow will have melted off most of the trail by late June? I heard there has been a lot of snow, and for it to melt this year will take a long time.

Are there any sections of the trail you would suggest for a 10 day (~100 mile) trek during this time that are both scenic and will not have snow issues?

Thanks!

It all just depends on how fast the current snow melts, which depends on the temperatures between now and then. I'm also keeping an eye on this because I'm doing a thru-hike starting the end of June. Here's a link to a website that tracks snow levels: http://www.coloradotrail.org/snowandweather.html

It's just a wait and see game.

DavidNH
05-17-2011, 16:39
Oops! my mistake. Just assumed this was about the AT. This was posted in the Colorado trail forum and that makes all the difference and I didn't even check to see what forum the post was in!

Sorry guys.

David

Volcano_God
05-17-2011, 16:50
Also, do you guys know if backcountry passes are needed anywhere?

Nean
05-17-2011, 17:55
No passes needed.

Mags
05-17-2011, 19:47
VG, I wrote this doc that may help answer some questions?

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide

Northern Harrier
05-30-2011, 19:43
I'm hoping that by the last week of July the really deep stuff will have melted away. Hoping to thru hike the CT...

bearcreek
05-31-2011, 09:20
Still 6' of snow in the San Juans above 11,000' and in the vicinity of Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, and Georgia Pass. Melt rate right now is about a foot a week and that is accelerating. If you time your hike to hit Georgia Pass in mid July or later you should be good. That's 4-6 days from Denver depending on your speed.

There likely will be some localized spots that don't melt off completely this year at all, so be prepared.

Volcano_God
05-31-2011, 14:08
thanks for the updates. I will continue to check back here for some info in the coming weeks. We may just start at waterton canyon in order to avoid the snow entirely.

Mags
05-31-2011, 16:26
thanks for the updates. I will continue to check back here for some info in the coming weeks. We may just start at waterton canyon in order to avoid the snow entirely.

Negative! :) Waterton Canyon is closed through 2011:

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2#Waterton%20Canyon

Volcano_God
05-31-2011, 16:40
Thanks Mags!

bearcreek
05-31-2011, 21:48
The preferred alternate while the work is going on is to start at the Indian Creek trailhead (FS #800). This trail hits the CT at Lennys Rest which is about 6 miles up from the conventional trailhead at Waterton Canyon. Nicer hike than Waterton Canyon which is just a roadwalk anyway. Details at http://www.coloradotrail.org

kgottshalk
06-06-2011, 21:03
I just got back from a week of day hiking out of Silverton, we generally hit full snow cover around 10,600-10,800. We were snowshoeing over 11,000 ft.

Karl

Volcano_God
06-06-2011, 21:33
I also just found an article in the Daily Camera by Jenn Fields, called "Big ol' Snowpack."

According to her: "Paul Magnanti, a backpacker, ski tourer and author of a Colorado Trail End to End guide, told me that the current snowpack is "troublesome to anyone into hiking and backpacking.""

Dogwood
06-06-2011, 22:47
Volcano God, we just went around in circles about snow pack in the Sierras on Blissful's "Worried About the Snow" thread.

Although the Sierras is not CO or the CT I think the MAIN ideas in BearCreek's post #12 apply in both places. It's getting warmer and the days longer and the snowmelt is accelerating EVEN if some light snow may still fall at higher elevs! Temps are on the rise!

I know you want an ABSOLUTE answer about snow. Hikers can freak out about snow conditions. Sometimes for good reasons. I know what you are going through! It's a bit of a waiting game right now. That's OK! YOU are not hiking for, what, another 3 wks, maybe more? Don't be over anxious! The longer you follow snow levels the more you will realize things out west and mid west CAN change FAST! UNDERSTAND, that trail conditions WILL change in the next few weeks! MUCH snow will melt by late June/early July! Current trail conditions DO NOT equal trail conditions in late June/early July!

I'm currently awaiting a bit more snowmelt for a Cali PCT section hike from Chester to Truckee and a thru of the Tahoe Rim Trail. Currently, in these places deep snow begins at around 6500 '. I've been keeping a careful watch on temps. We just had a dusting on some of the low peaks around Carson City in the last couple of days, BUT Hurray, looking at an extended forecast for my next hiking area in Cali I'm noticing a definite warming trend. FINALLY! Took long enough this yr! Mid to high 70's with a couple of low 80's thrown in!

After that I'm heading east to the CT to finish that trail and finish the CDT SOBO from Copper Mountain. I know what you are going through! Be patient and KNOW snowmelt is accelerating and snowfall, is diminishing! Think sunny warm thoughts!

If it really bothers you take the info that everyone has provided, get a CT elev profile, and pick a 10 day(100 mile) section at a lower elevation where trail conditions(snow pack) should not be, or as great of, an issue in late June/earlyJuly!

Mags
06-07-2011, 00:06
I also just found an article in the Daily Camera by Jenn Fields, called "Big ol' Snowpack."

According to her: "Paul Magnanti, a backpacker, ski tourer and author of a Colorado Trail End to End guide, told me that the current snowpack is "troublesome to anyone into hiking and backpacking.""

...don't believe a word that schmuck says.... :)

The article can be found here:
http://www.pmags.com/colorado-daily-big-ol-snowpack

I'm also quoted saying that my gut feeling is that everything is a about two weeks behind. Still think that is an accurate assessment for the most part. Or, to put it another way, normally I'd say mid-late June is a good time to start the CT. This year? STart late June to early July and you should be fine.

On Track
06-07-2011, 10:57
Good info above! Maybe worth adding is that DRIFTS will remain after most of the snowpack is gone. For example, in early July most of the snowpack will likely be melted and you'll hike a dirt trail easy to follow. But you'll encounter drifts, slippery and maybe some post-holing still. Not a big problem, just might influence your choice of shoes, gaiters, etc.

Volcano_God
06-16-2011, 15:47
Just FYI, for those of you who use facebook, I found the Colorado Trail Association's page there.

There is plenty of info from people who are doing volunteer work on the trail, those who are traveling the trail, and those who have been on it recently. I have found a lot of good information about what the snow conditions are like there. :)

DuctTape
06-17-2011, 21:24
Just wanted to second that advice on looking at the CTF's Facebook page, they keep very good snow-level updates.