PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a woman's mid hiking boots -

pixie91075
05-17-2011, 18:46
Right now I'm using Keen Targhee II Hiking Shoes. The problem I've run into is that while the shoes are nice for doing walking trails (flat even ground), they just didn't seem to cut it when I did a more strenuous hike with lots of rocks, creek beds, water crossings and tree roots. I was thinking of going to a mid-ankle boot so that I could get some extra stability (I have really week ankles), but I'm worried about the back of shoe pressing too much on my Achilles Tendon and the back of my heal. Rather than asking what shoe to buy, maybe it would be more helpful to ask which shoe NOT to buy. Are there any that you have had issues with not fitting right in the ankle/heal?

Country Roads
05-20-2011, 21:03
Only ones I have had problems with are heavier full leather boots; too darn stiff. I find Merrell to have bit too curved of a last for me and Hitechs don't seem to hold up past 100 miles or so.

I use LLBean trail boots, they are actually a bit more than mid-height and they come in either waterproof or nonwaterproof and can be had in a low height also. They are a high volume boot, which I like. I leave the stock foot bed in, add an Profoot foot bed on top and then put in my 3/4 length orthotic. Perfect fit and I have the ability to take out one of the insoles, if my feet swell on a long, hot day. It is hard to find a good boot, that is why I stick with either LLBean or Cabela's brand; since I know what size and style will work for me in these 2 brands. Good luck with your search

kyhiker610
05-20-2011, 22:47
Go to an outfitter to try on boots. Your foot is different than all of ours, therefore, it will fit a shoe different than all of our feet would... (just my two cents!)

Spokes
05-21-2011, 06:45
.........The problem I've run into is that while the shoes are nice for doing walking trails (flat even ground), they just didn't seem to cut it when I did a more strenuous hike with lots of rocks, creek beds, water crossings and tree roots. ......

Have you tried them with green SuperFeet inserts?

skooch
05-21-2011, 07:47
Go to an outfitter to try on boots. Your foot is different than all of ours, therefore, it will fit a shoe different than all of our feet would... (just my two cents!)

This is good advice. I just gave up on my womans vasque bought one size too big and still hurt. Threw out the insoles for green superfeet then threw those out for being too rigid. Went back to originals and tried many combos of socks and liners. Bandaged hot spots and blisters. After 50 miles and screaming feet I found a different outfitter. I brought my bandaged feeet, current boots and fully loaded pack into the store. After 1hr and many brands I bought Saloman mid trailrunners in mens to give the toebox some more room and length. I've got only 20 fully loaded miles on these but no bandages and no blisters. Feet get tired but no pain. Please don't go to buy boots when the store is busy. It can be hard to hit on the right boot. Like kissing a lot of frogs

Spokes
05-21-2011, 11:31
... I just gave up on my womans vasque bought one size too big and still hurt. ..

Worse pair of trail shoes I ever bought were Vasque-never again. For my feet, Keen, Garmont, and Asics were primo and never a blister or hotspot.

pixie91075
05-23-2011, 15:23
Have you tried them with green SuperFeet inserts?
I haven't done anything with inserts yet, but I'm thinking I might. I ended up going with old faithful, the Keen Targhee II mid (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=keen+targhee+ii+mid&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=DnG&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9872152224047478565&sa=X&ei=s7HaTaa1B4uztweI7pHpDg&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA&biw=1259&bih=867#). I have the hiking shoes, and I found that I really do like the Keens the best. The Merrell just pinch my feet too much.

I wore the new boots on this weekend's hike, and I noticed a big difference right away. Although I was worried about the pressure the cuff would place on my heal, calf and shin, it didn't at all, and I rocked out that trail. I did notice some pulling of the plantar fascia, so I think maybe an insert with a little more arch support would be a good thing. I don't have flat feet, but I'm prone to tendentious in the plantar fascia. That's next on my to-do list of things to pick up.

pixie91075
05-27-2011, 07:26
I picked up a pair of the green SuperFeet inserts. I think the "berry" (women's) would have been ok, but I went with the green just to be safe. I'll use them this weekend on the Jones Run - Doyles River Falls (http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/JonesRunDoylesRiver/) long trail. So I'll report back on Sunday.

Mr Boston
05-27-2011, 08:12
The staff at Mountain Crossings did a great job selling me some Keens back in April. What I was really impressed with was their knowledge in lacing boots in different ways to to make adjustments for comfort. I would hope that any experienced outfitter might be able to help.