PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Woody Gap to Neels Gap hike

jtlee1
05-17-2011, 21:26
Planning a hike from Woody Gap, GA to Hogpen Gap, GA on Memorial Day weekend. Have heard the camping ban from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap was lifted. Still not a comfortable feeling being so early to camp there after a ban! Any thoughts out there? Also, I'm curious about water sources from Woody Gap to Neels Gap. I know they may be scarce to none. Any recent updates? Thanks!!

About_Time
05-17-2011, 22:20
I was there on May 3rd. All sources per guide book had water. I heard of no bear issues when I went through Georgia. I did see a bear just north of Cowart Gap (mile 69.3). Took two picture of it walking away and then my camera battery died. The picture of the bear standing on it's hind legs looking at me as I frantically unloaded my pack to get my backup battery would have been a classic (lol), but at least I have the memory...

Pixelgator
05-18-2011, 06:47
You would probably feel safer staying out of the shelters. Just camp a few hundred yards off the trail and set up a bear bag with your food. I hike this area weekly but still haven't seen the bear.

JaxHiker
05-18-2011, 09:32
I've never seen a bear on the AT. :( They closed Blood Mtn a couple of weeks after I hiked it because a bear kept coming back. He'd already been relocated 2 or 3 times.