PDA

View Full Version : Yet another gear list - NOBO - Can use your opinions.

pyroman9
05-17-2011, 21:44
Hey all! I am just starting to plan out my NOBO trip on the AT next year. I will be going for a thru hike and most likely starting mid - late march depending on weather conditions.

My past has been in heavy mountaineering. In 12/09 I stood at the highest point in the americas, on top of Mt aconcagua. I went with a friend, but he got ill at camp 3 so i went solo to the summit on christmas day. Other than that i have hiked in the ADK mountains a bunch and in the white mountains. I have always carried heavy gear though.

So now here is my challenge to myself... I want my base weight to be under 20lbs... at least!

I will use this thread to update my gear decisions and what I will bring. I currently work in a local outdoors store and am really into finding out everything I can.

Without further wait here is what I have so far:

Tent: Trying to decide
Obi 1P elite??? 32 oz
Big Agnes Fly Creek 1??? 36 oz

Sleep System:
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 - 32 oz
Neoair sleeping pad (short most likely) - 9 oz

Cooking system:
Pocket Rocket - 3 oz
Fuel Canister - 8 oz ? i think
Titan 2 titanium pots (only bringing the smaller pot and lid) 6 oz

Pack:
Go lite Jam - 32 oz (plan to do some trimming)

Fluffy Jacket:
Patagonia Down Sweater SE - 900 fill - 9.6oz

That is all i have so far. Still need to get all the misc stuff decided on, but i am trying to get the heavy stuff out of the way first.

Thanks in advance for all opinions. I am open to all opinions and suggestions and changes. Hence the point of this thread.

Eric McKinley

Tinker
05-17-2011, 22:06
Tent: look at Lightheart Gear's solo tent or Tarptent's Moment.
Pot: Bring the big one. It doesn't weigh that much more than the small one and you won't be spilling food. Plus, the wider bottom imparts more heat to the pot's contents.
Other than that it looks very good (so far).

tuswm
05-17-2011, 22:15
Well you can get tents around 16 oz so that would help you out. I think you should spend a lot of time reading the site before spending money.

pyroman9
05-17-2011, 23:09
I do not want to do a tarp/bivi - and i do not think a hammock will work (just not comfortable for me).

So a tent is the way i would like to go. Now single wall or double - not to big a deal. the bigger decision is free standing or not. I was going to get the nemo meta 1p but then i saw the obi 1p elite is the same weight.. just cost more. However I am able to get the obi elite for virtually free due to a gift card i have to mountain gear. Not huge on the yellow color - but heck my winter mountaineering tent is bright orange, so i cant argue it.

The other tent above seems interesting by lightheart... i will have to look into some reviews... any thoughts? I see its held up by poles which is not the end of the world. I will not need them when camp is up anyways.

Thanks for the help.

levidoug
05-18-2011, 00:15
I would suggest looking at the various forums for ideas on equipment also.
I bought a BA Fly creek 2p tent but I am 6' 2". I have set it up and feel it meets my needs. A bit heavier than a 1 person, but my comfort came 1st.
Many opinions about equipment but should go with what feels comfortable and what will meets your needs.

Levidoug

pyroman9
05-18-2011, 09:53
Levidoug you have a great point. I think i have read just about every page...hahaha I have been lurking for quite some time. I just joined recently but have sat up late quite a few times reading away at stuff. I am 5'11'' and 170 lbs. I would love the comfort of a 2 man tent, but do not want to carry that much weight, so i will deal. My thought process for the free standing 2 layer tent is that if i have to stay hunkered down in the tent for a morning or something, then i can comfortably. I hate having bugs fly around me at night, so i do not want to go with the tarp/bivie/hammock. BA fly creek seems pretty nice, hence i am thinking of the 1p version.

The other thing i have to find out is how i do on a short neoair vs regular sized. I ordered both and will return the other. I fear that since the neoair is so high up off the ground, that the short pad setup will not be very comfortable. for 5 oz more i can sleep much more comfortable, so we will see.

I hear rumor that i can get the go lite jam pack down to 17oz after cutting and trimming of the accessories. so we will see how that goes.

I need a lot of gear that can be used for a bit of everything. in two weeks i am going to the presidential range again. and next month we are going to hike the Grand Teton and Gannett peak. Hopefully this winter I will be hitting up hood and raineer.

Panzer1
05-18-2011, 11:06
if you run into a week of rainy weather like this week then your going to need a good rain proof shelter. Get yourself a decent tent that you can spend a rainy week in and not go crazy.

Panzer

pyroman9
05-18-2011, 13:31
any reccommendations panzer? That is why i was leaning towards the obi 1p elite... being as light as the meta 1p .. but freestanding. lifetime warrenty. 2 layer - so much less condensation.

Spokes
05-18-2011, 13:51
Check out this tried and true cold weather gear list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) and your base weight will be between 14-16 lbs. Tweak it for summer to go even lighter. Add a trash compactor bag as a liner.

Cheers!

STICK
05-18-2011, 23:15
Hey Pyroman, I am planning a thru, but in 2013... anyway, I am planning a NOBO and starting around the same time as you.

Here is my gear list that I am compiling for it. My cold weather base weight is listed at around 14.4 pounds and my summer weight at 10.2 pounds. However, I figure by the time I am ready to go, they will be even a little lower...

AT Thru Hike Gear List (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aqh886ycFM9kdEs3VnNWTUsxQmJxbWJYdldCTzJ2M 0E&hl=en)

Also, here is my current summer list which is around 11.8 pounds, but in the next few months I will have it just over 10 pounds. Changes are noted in the list:

Stick's Summer Gear List (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aqh886ycFM9kdEtWdURCMzN5cG5samRwSWpYZFB5e Xc&hl=en)

Hope it helps.

~Stick~

Amanita
05-19-2011, 15:38
So now here is my challenge to myself... I want my base weight to be under 20lbs... at least!

Pack:
Go lite Jam - 32 oz (plan to do some trimming)

20 lb base in a golite jam? I've never tried on the jam, looked to small for my gear, but I do not think it's a good idea with that much stuff, even if you some how manage to make it all fit.

Get all your other gear sorted out BEFORE you pick a pack. This includes all the little stuff like MP3 player, shampoo, and toilet paper. Then figure out the volume and weight of it all. Using a stuff sack of known volume can help with determining volume.

Shop for a pack knowing what volume and weight capacity you need. Make sure that when you try on the pack it's loaded with AT LEAST the amount of weight you expect to carry including food and water. When you get it home leave the tags on, put all your stuff in it and try it on again. Make sure it rides comfortably with all your gear, food, and water before you take the tags off.

Good luck, 20lb base is totally doable without any compromises or desperate measures. Hell, it's even doable with a 5 1/2lb pack. Remember that the only thing more important than your pack is your shoes, getting a good fit is paramount, so don't just jump on the lightest pack you see first, it'll make a big difference down the trail.

Panzer1
05-19-2011, 16:24
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P7VmI%2BlaL._AA300_.jpg
any reccommendations panzer? That is why i was leaning towards the obi 1p elite... being as light as the meta 1p .. but freestanding. lifetime warrenty. 2 layer - so much less condensation.

I use the Black Diamond lighthouse. 3 pound 3 ounce, free standing, single wall, 2 person, side entry, window on other side wall.

Panzer

Pedaling Fool
05-19-2011, 16:44
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P7VmI%2BlaL._AA300_.jpg

I use the Black Diamond lighthouse. 3 pound 3 ounce, free standing, single wall, 2 person, side entry, window on other side wall.

Panzer
I remember talking to someone at Uncle Johnnies with that same exact tent (I believe in 2006). They were considering getting a new one because of the condensation issue. Personally I would think al singlewall tents have a condensation issue, but I've never owned one that I can remember.

Brup Bup
05-19-2011, 18:33
-If you do more hiking (from dawn to dusk) lighter gear will make you happier
-If you do more camping "luxury" gear will make the camping time more comfortable
-Lightweight shoes... a lb on the feet is worth 5 on the back
-Get a higher rated sleeping bag (or quilt) and sleep in all your clothes
-Check out an umbrella and rain skirt set-up
-Tarp and bivy combos will be lighter than a tent. The bivy sack will add 5 to 10 degrees to your sleep system and keep the bugs away
-Eat out of the pot you cook in
-Use aquamira drops instead of a water filter
-Check out the myriad of alcohol stoves
-It is easy to get out of hand with clothes and misc items.
-some use dr. bronners for everything
-everything weighs something. buy a kitchen scale, weigh everything, keep a spreadsheet and stick to it.
-backpackinglight.com - want a sub 10 lb base weight, go there
-sectionhiker.com - has a page with all the ultra light gear makers
you have a lot of time... take it to try out friends gear and find out what works for you.

Tinker
05-19-2011, 22:44
You read this thread, right?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52867&highlight=tinker+lightheart+tent

LIhikers
05-21-2011, 19:30
..... My thought process for the free standing 2 layer tent is that if i have to stay hunkered down in the tent for a morning or something, then i can comfortably. I hate having bugs fly around me at night, so i do not want to go with the tarp/bivie/hammock....

Let me suggest you look at the Rainbow made by Tarptent. Not the 2 person version, just the single. It's got a ton of room for 1 person and you can sit up in it with no problem.

Jersey Tim
05-21-2011, 22:37
Nemo tents, while light for what you get, tend to be expensive. Something from a cottage gearmaker like SMD or Tarptent (which are single-wall fully enclosed tents, not tarps in the traditional sense) can save you both ounces and dollars.