PDA

View Full Version : Providing trail magic?

ToeJam
01-28-2005, 11:06
Have/do any of you get opportunities to do this?

We have lucked into a few really nice deals in past years, and this year we will actually have a vehicle waiting for us at the end of our section hike, and would like to surprise some lucky passers-by. Could use your opinions tho...

We will be ending at Fontana Dam. What would be the best place to go to share some goodies? I mean, are there goodies available at Fontana for anyone coming thru, so it would be no biggie there? Maybe someplace we can drive to via a FS Road would be a better choice, but I do not know enough about that area to know if there is anywhere halfway nearby? We won't have alot of time (or money lol) to spend, have to be headed back on our drive to NY, unless we get ahead and then we can spend the night down in NC before he head back up, but we could easily run into wherever the next town with grocery store is and grab some yummies to share.

Any suggestions as to where to do this down there? And LOL it never occured to me that we could actualyl OFFEND someone by providing TM, all I know of is the reactions we saw in previous years when we came upon a clearing with some sodas and good grub etc - elation! TIA for any ideas!

Moose2001
01-28-2005, 11:49
I would suggest Stecoah Gap (NC1430. If you're getting your car at Fontana, you'll drive right through it on the way out. There's a parking area there that the trail comes down next to. Tables and a spring down the road. Would be a great place for some magic.

A-Train
01-28-2005, 11:54
This sounds like a great idea. Fontana is an excellent spot to provide trail magic because

-hikers are about to enter the smokies and can always use some fattening up and creature comforts before entering the park

-many hikers seemed apprehensive and nervous about going into the park

-this is a milestone of sorts, good spot for celebration

-there is virtually nothing around for hikers. The Fontana Village store is often scantily stocked and there wasn't a whole lot that excited me in the way of food.

Leaving food or setting up a little station at the Fontana Hilton shelter would be optimal IMO. most hikers will appreciate it greatly and don't worry about imposing on people blah blah blah. If you are somewhere with car access, well then you're not in the wilderness anyway. If someone is so offended by trailmagic (you may run into a certain individual this hiking season) then they will hopefully just decline and move on.

Trail magic can be lots of fun if planned right. Good luck..

And anytime between mid-march and mid-may there should be a steady stream of thru-hikers.

ToeJam
01-28-2005, 12:03
Thanks, guys! I will consider both of those options, and any others that are mentioned. :) Anyone familiar with the area and know if there are any decent stocked stores or pizza places semi-nearby that we will be able to hit? And yup we should be right in a good mix of ppl - this will be on Friday April 22nd.

LOL on offending people - I'm not REALLY concerned about it. ;) If anyone gives us a problem, I reckon there will be a posse of hungry hikers ready to jump them to shut them up hehe! :p

rocket04
01-28-2005, 12:05
I would suggest Stecoah Gap (NC1430. If you're getting your car at Fontana, you'll drive right through it on the way out. There's a parking area there that the trail comes down next to. Tables and a spring down the road. Would be a great place for some magic. Yeah, that is a good spot. A few of us lucked out and got some beers from some section hikers there. There's a brutal climb that comes right after that (or at least, brutal when you haven't seen the Whites), so some magic would probably alleviate the pain.

weary
01-28-2005, 12:32
Have/do any of you get opportunities to do this?

We have lucked into a few really nice deals in past years, and this year we will actually have a vehicle waiting for us at the end of our section hike, and would like to surprise some lucky passers-by. Could use your opinions tho...

We will be ending at Fontana Dam. What would be the best place to go to share some goodies? I mean, are there goodies available at Fontana for anyone coming thru, so it would be no biggie there? Maybe someplace we can drive to via a FS Road would be a better choice, but I do not know enough about that area to know if there is anywhere halfway nearby? We won't have alot of time (or money lol) to spend, have to be headed back on our drive to NY, unless we get ahead and then we can spend the night down in NC before he head back up, but we could easily run into wherever the next town with grocery store is and grab some yummies to share.

Any suggestions as to where to do this down there? And LOL it never occured to me that we could actualyl OFFEND someone by providing TM, all I know of is the reactions we saw in previous years when we came upon a clearing with some sodas and good grub etc - elation! TIA for any ideas!
The subjects of my charity of choice these days are not thru hikers and long distance hikers who afterall are almost all middleclass yuppies with reasonable incomes and prospects, and the leisure to spend weeks and months on a walking tour of the eastern Appalachians, but the AT itself. ATC is desperate for money and memberships. Thirty five maintaining clubs badly need members and support. Our MAT Land Trust is trying desperately to provide protective buffers for some of the special wild places along the trail in Maine.

The real trail magic is achieved by those who help the trail, so future generations of hikers will have an equally fine experience. I know its fun to surprise a hiker on a warm day with a cold coke. If you see a hiker and you have a spare cold coke to offer, I urge you to do so. I always do. But such spontaneous sharing is nothing compared with the lasting feeling of accomplishment from having contributed to the preservation of a wild trail.

Weary www.matlt.org

The Gnome
01-28-2005, 18:09
I applaud all your efforts to set up “Trail Magic”. I have been on the receiving end several times, ranging from a simple Wally World $1 cooler containing a welcome soda in a field to the extensive and bottomless Magic box provided by Sean at the Partnership Shelter. I have thought about providing something myself, either in the form of a Magic Box at a shelter or a jumbo pasta plate canteen operating out of the back of an RV. This is a chance to pay back some of the enjoyment I’ve had from the trail all these years.

BUT, I must post a Warning!

It is ILLEGAL to offer any service (meals, candy bars, sodas, toothpaste or a ride into town) on National Park Service or National Forest property. To do so, you require a “Special Use Permit”, which last year cost $20,000 and proof of indemnity insurance up to $4M. Obviously, these terms are way out of reach for individuals. I don’t want to go into the politics behind these restrictions but simply warn people that you run the risk of being arrested if you disregard the rules.

Having said all that, obviously the average Park Ranger is not going to arrest someone for sharing his BBQ hot dogs with a passing hiker and 99% of the time the Park Police have better things to do than spy on picnickers in the SNP. Park officials are overwhelmingly friendly and helpful. I have interfaced with many NPS Rangers and found that they all shared my love of the outdoors. They certainly are not in the job for the money or the glory! BUT, it might be your bad luck to meet the one Officer who is bucking for promotion or just got chewed out by Ohio Drive for lack of performance.

In years past, National Forest Service staff have ignored this law and allowed hiker services to operate within their boundaries without a permit. But in a recent communication with the A.T.C, it was made clear that the Jefferson and Washington Forest managers have been told to emphasize law enforcement for “National Security” reasons. This includes for example, preventing organizations from using NF parking lots to unload hiking or boating parties.

O.K. Gloom and despondency over with. This is a great thread.

So what would through-hikers like to see in Magic Boxes?

o Sealed Packed Food ( Like Lipton’s: 3 for a dollar on sale at our local store)
o Energy bars
o Toothpaste and toothbrushes (strong arm your dentist for a stack of those free samples he gets)
o Vitamin pills
o Soda cans
o Alcohol and white gas cans with a funnel duct-taped to the side and instructions not to steal the funnel or pack the empty cans out.

What’s your favorite wish?

PS: And I agree with “Weary”.
If you can’t spare the time to sharpen rocks, blaze trees or put the new roof on a shelter, you can certainly raise pen to check book and remember all the good times your had because of contributions from a previous generation.

I belong to a trail club and it has invigorated and kept me fit at a time in life when I might be excused for spending my days watching pretty girls go by.