PDA

View Full Version : LT E2E starting 6/1/11...

maxpower88
05-18-2011, 00:49
Hello everyone and good day, I was hoping to receive some sound advice about what to expect this June on the LT. I will be starting my E2E on 6/1 and I have noticed the extreme weather VT has been getting lately so I was wondering if anyone has hiked in similar conditions and what did they encounter along the way (flooding, mud, bugs, trail closures, etc...).

Yukon
05-18-2011, 07:12
Expect A LOT of mud and bugs this early in the season, especially with the weather we have been having as of late. Going NOBO or SOBO?

NorthCountryWoods
05-18-2011, 08:34
Expect mud, bugs and rain. If the high water continues you will run into a few detours. On the bright side......staying hydrated shouldn't be a problem.

Deadeye
05-18-2011, 09:06
That's 2 weeks away, by then we'll be a week into drought conditions.

double d
05-18-2011, 09:19
Just got back from Vermont (5-16) and it rained all weekend! I would expect lots of mud and of course, black flies. But.......expect great towns to resupply in (Bennington, Manchester Center, Rutland, etc.). The first 100 miles will get you in trail shape for the last 180 miles, so make sure you have good gear, a good attitude and all will be well for you. You will also find that Vermont people are very kind people.

maxpower88
05-18-2011, 09:48
Right on people, and thank you for all the responses. I am heading NOBO and will be mailing myself 4 resupply boxes to Manchester Center, Rutland, Waitsfield, & Stowe, we figured on 3 days of hiking to each post office. My hiking partner and I just got off the PCT and putting in 25-30 miles per day was no problem so we are figuring on 17 mile per day average (at least) on the LT. I live in CA but moved out here from Williston VT and strangely I did not get into backpacking until I moved to CA so mud and severe weather are foreign to me while hiking.

I am rocking a 12lb base weight and I prefer to sleep in my tent, maybe having shelters at my disposal will change my mind about the tent. I have hiked through the Sierra during peek bug season and it was torture WITH a tent, I am not sure if the shelters keep out the bugs but I imagine they don’t so I will probably be pitching my Big Agnes hotel every night! We are really excited about this hike and maybe just maybe we will be the first to border this year, wouldn’t that be special. If anyone wants to join us we will be at the Pine Cobble trailhead on Tuesday 5/31 around noon, happy trails.

jlore
05-18-2011, 11:42
good luck!

mirabela
05-18-2011, 19:43
It's gonna be sloppy, but you probably won't find anything impassable.

Your mileage plans are ambitious, to say the least. Your credentials speak in your favor, but three days from Waitsfield to Stowe, especially, is *flying* in that terrain. For that matter, three days from Stowe to the border is also borderline ridiculous. Try it out & see how it goes, I guess, but don't be afraid to stretch some of those three day legs to four ...

I wonder if we know one another. I grew up in Williston too. CVU '89, what about you? My wife and I have been back here since 2003 after a decade in the Bay Area.

Praha4
05-18-2011, 20:23
you would enjoy the hike a lot more if you could wait til August, much less mud!

good luck

Papa D
05-18-2011, 21:34
I end to ended last year. If you P/M me, i'll e-mail you my exact itinerary, logistical info, etc.

Papa D
05-18-2011, 21:35
Praha4 is right - my E-E was in July which was great - July-September is prime.

maxpower88
05-18-2011, 23:16
Yeah, I am stuck with my 6/1 start date and I know my plans are ambitious to say the least but nothing is set is stone. I have 25 days to complete the trail so I figured I would just mail myself 3 days worth of food to the four above mentioned post offices and then fill in the gaps as I saw fit.

My hiking partner has hiked the LT 07, AT 08, CT 09, PCT 10 and is using this E2E to train for a 1000 mile Brooks Range AK walk in July and he seems to think our schedule will work out, maybe not exactly to plan but in a timely manner. I on other hand have way more limited hiking experience but I am fit and in the 2 or 300 miles I have walked with my buddy on the PCT I had no problem keeping up or putting in big days.

I appreciate all the info and hopefully everything will work out just fine, plans or no plans we are just going to walk to Canada no matter how long it takes, failure is not an option. (so I tell myself)

maxpower88
05-18-2011, 23:19
mirabela: I actually went to high school in NJ but my wife and her siblings all graduated from CVU, classes of 96, 98, 01 last name Bouchard.

mirabela
05-19-2011, 21:11
Thumbs up. Stay flexible and keep a good sense of humor about conditions, and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

And ... for all people piss and moan about the mud and the bugs, it's still just hiking. I've had some great times on the LT in June.

NorthCountryWoods
05-20-2011, 15:16
Thumbs up. Stay flexible and keep a good sense of humor about conditions, and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

And ... for all people piss and moan about the mud and the bugs, it's still just hiking. I've had some great times on the LT in June.

Yeah, but we're used to mud and bugs.;)

stranger
05-23-2011, 00:34
Yeah, I am stuck with my 6/1 start date and I know my plans are ambitious to say the least but nothing is set is stone. I have 25 days to complete the trail so I figured I would just mail myself 3 days worth of food to the four above mentioned post offices and then fill in the gaps as I saw fit.

My hiking partner has hiked the LT 07, AT 08, CT 09, PCT 10 and is using this E2E to train for a 1000 mile Brooks Range AK walk in July and he seems to think our schedule will work out, maybe not exactly to plan but in a timely manner. I on other hand have way more limited hiking experience but I am fit and in the 2 or 300 miles I have walked with my buddy on the PCT I had no problem keeping up or putting in big days.

I appreciate all the info and hopefully everything will work out just fine, plans or no plans we are just going to walk to Canada no matter how long it takes, failure is not an option. (so I tell myself)

Be advised...the PCT is nothing like the Long Trail, but you will be in good company, I think I may know your hiking partner.

The Long Trail between Appalachian Gap and the Lamoille River is no picnic, but this is more about footing than anything else, although there are some good climbs in there, and a few per day. The LT is sloppy, wet, mud, roots, stinging nettles, etc...It's also rains alot, by contrast, you could hike the 1700 miles of the PCT in California and see less than 3 days of rain.

If you're hiking with low, tell him I said hey!

maxpower88
05-23-2011, 09:30
If you're hiking with low, tell him I said hey!

Right on Stranger, Lo will be stoked to read your post and yes he is my hiking partner. I’m pretty sure that I am in for a shock with the tread, weather, and mud but that is what this adventure is about, something other than sunshine! Our plans are advanced for sure but we both trained real hard and Lo is pretty hardcore, I have the utmost confidence in our abilities and planning for this trip. All we plan to do is “hike our own hike” and I am sure we will find ourselves in Canada before you know it. Peace.

double d
05-23-2011, 09:35
Maxpower88: if you get a chance, post some of your experiences on the LT this summer. I'm leaving in late June to finish the last 180 miles of the LT (Rt.4 to North Troy). Southern part is a great hike in summer, really didn't have a problem with black flyes last summer, but I didn't go in early June either. Good luck and HYOH!

maxpower88
05-23-2011, 11:42
Maxpower88: if you get a chance, post some of your experiences on the LT this summer.
We will indeed, our plan was to start another thread and document the hike from start to finish, giving updates where and when we can. Including, pictures, trail conditions and etc...

I will post a link to the new thread on Tuesday 5/31 before we leave for the Pine Cobble trailhead, good luck this summer and hopefully we will run into each other out there.

Migrating Bird
05-23-2011, 14:02
We have had a much wetter spring this year than last. Currently Albany, NY has ranked this May as the 5th wettest on record so far. Have a great hike and enjoy.

stranger
05-23-2011, 22:32
Right on Stranger, Lo will be stoked to read your post and yes he is my hiking partner. I’m pretty sure that I am in for a shock with the tread, weather, and mud but that is what this adventure is about, something other than sunshine! Our plans are advanced for sure but we both trained real hard and Lo is pretty hardcore, I have the utmost confidence in our abilities and planning for this trip. All we plan to do is “hike our own hike” and I am sure we will find ourselves in Canada before you know it. Peace.

Sounds good, it's an amazing trail and you will love it, as long as you have protection against the bugs at night you'll be right...

Good luck and enjoy the LT, I'll be out there in just over a year! Going sobo

Amanita
05-25-2011, 12:30
We have had a much wetter spring this year than last. Currently Albany, NY has ranked this May as the 5th wettest on record so far. Have a great hike and enjoy.

VT has this spring as THE wettest spring on record. Including massive flooding from both rivers and lake champlain. So yeah, it'll be pretty wet out there.

stranger
05-26-2011, 01:34
I don't recall a single notable ford on the Long Trail, but if water is flowing you might want to factor that into your plans in terms of time.

At least the springs will be flowing well.

Jeff
05-26-2011, 08:35
This video may not be a river crossing, but the trail in Vermont can get pretty wet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSVK8ZIv9QQ

DavidNH
05-26-2011, 08:52
Anyone who thinks the mud will have dried up by June 1 is dreaming. Vermont has had a record wet spring. I'm talking serious rains. Lake Champlain is still, as of mid to late May, two feet above flood stage. Expect more mud than you ever dreamed of. Expect hoards of bugs. I'd recommend you bring gaitors and serious heavy duty bug repellent (go for Ben's 100) and a bug net. even if you bring a tent, good to sleep near shelters. There's always water near by as well as an out house. Plus if the sky does open up, one can retreat into shelter.

David

stranger
05-26-2011, 09:30
Anyone who thinks the mud will have dried up by June 1 is dreaming. Vermont has had a record wet spring. I'm talking serious rains. Lake Champlain is still, as of mid to late May, two feet above flood stage. Expect more mud than you ever dreamed of. Expect hoards of bugs. I'd recommend you bring gaitors and serious heavy duty bug repellent (go for Ben's 100) and a bug net. even if you bring a tent, good to sleep near shelters. There's always water near by as well as an out house. Plus if the sky does open up, one can retreat into shelter.

David

It's Vermont, there's mud in August! Let alone June.

double d
05-26-2011, 10:24
If someone doesn't like hiking in Vermont mud,well..................don't hike in Vermont! I'll be on the LT this summer for finish my LT hike, can't wait.

Snowleopard
05-26-2011, 20:05
Currently tornado warnings in VT. Two separate warning areas, baseball size hail, rotation in two locations. It just passed Barre VT and is heading toward NH.

Painted Turtle
05-26-2011, 20:15
I am heading up to Rutland to do some hiking this weekend and they are calling for Tunderstorms and than more tunderstorms followed by some thunderstorms. Water levels are gong to be high for a while.

Snowleopard
05-27-2011, 07:31
7" of rain last night in the Montpelier/Barre area, baseball sized hail and possibly tornado touchdowns. There's serious flooding in the Montpelier area. Expect it to be wet.

Baseball sized hail would not be fun on the trail.

Cookerhiker
05-27-2011, 08:10
You've got lots of good advice above. Just 2 points to add:

1. Re. tenting vs shelters vis-a-vis bugs: you're hiking in black fly season but unlike mosquitos, BFs are not active at night; they shouldn't bother you in shelters.

2. Don't know how much of a purist you are but as you descend the Killington massif towards Rt. 4, I'd use the original LT, currrently a blue-blaze alternative, to hike right over the crest and past the Inn at the Long Trail (http://www.innatlongtrail.com/Home.html)where you can enjoy good pub food and a Guinness.

FYI I thruhiked the LT in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248) in the Aug-Sep timeframe but I also section-hiked it 1977-81, nearly all around Memorial Day weekends so I've hiked with the black flies.

stranger
05-27-2011, 09:17
Just remember...15 years ago all this stuff happened, but there was no internet, no whiteblaze.net, no weatherchannel.com, etc...

Don't worry about the weather, respect it and pay attention, but try not too worry...expect mud, rain and bugs, if you get hailed on, duck out under a tree, rock, shelter, hold your pack over your head, etc...

Hike one day at a time, soon enough, you'll reach Canada

Slo-go'en
05-27-2011, 10:02
There is little traffic on the LT in June due to it being peak black fly and mud season. Therefore, getting shelter space is usually not a problem. Once past the AT section of the LT, tent sites are rare.

A bug bivy which can be used inside a shelter is a better idea then a tent. Starting a small, smokey fire as soon as you get to a shelter to help drive off the bugs will be SOP for most of the trip. Sure the BF's go away at night, but until they do, they can drive you crazy if you don't have a bug bivy to hide in.

25 days to do the LT is not unreasonable. But hiking the LT will take a lot more effort then the PCT!

NorthCountryWoods
05-27-2011, 13:46
7" of rain last night in the Montpelier/Barre area, baseball sized hail and possibly tornado touchdowns. There's serious flooding in the Montpelier area. Expect it to be wet.

Baseball sized hail would not be fun on the trail.

Just pulled under the canopy of a gas station in Georgia and the hail let loose yesterday. Only golf ball sized there, but it did do some damage in the 10-15 seconds it fell.

Crazy.