PDA

View Full Version : Should leashes be required?

Jonnycat
05-18-2011, 08:58
We have all come across a dangerous situation involving an unleashed child on the trail, and yet, there is still no consistency regarding leash laws for children.

As an outdoorsy-type person, I am a firm believer that children should be leashed any time they are outside of the home, for their own safety, as well as for the safety of others.

I know many will say that their child is well-trained, but there really is no way to predict how a child will behave in every situation; for this reason, we need stricter leash laws.

What say you?

http://i56.tinypic.com/vo3l3o.jpg

Deadeye
05-18-2011, 09:04
The little buggers nip at your heels, eat you food, and occupy the women you're trying to impress. Leave 'em at home.

BobTheBuilder
05-18-2011, 09:07
I believe in individual liberties, so I believe people have a right to have their children unleashed on the trail. Just like I have a right to use my hiking poles and bear spray on them if they act aggressively toward me. I'm so sick of parents running up behind a child I encounter on the trail, telling me that they're harmless, they would never hurt anyone, etc. Hey, if they have teeth, they can bite. It doesn't matter if they're tiny little baby teeth or not, they're still dangerous. And don't get me started about people who allow their children in shelters.

rusane
05-18-2011, 09:28
I had one pee on me. Unconscionable. I say leash 'em, better yet, leave them at home with the nanny where they belong.

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2011, 09:45
Retracted.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-18-2011, 10:03
leash em.....

DAJA
05-18-2011, 10:06
Yes, my hiking partner and I are terrified of unknown children, be respectful of others.

I'm guessing your wife has never been bitten in the face by a child leaving her to carry a scar for the remainder of her life... But I bet you feel good knowing your sarcasm is at others expense.. Nice how you feel protected behind this invisible barrier of the internet...

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2011, 10:32
I'm guessing your wife has never been bitten in the face by a child leaving her to carry a scar for the remainder of her life... But I bet you feel good knowing your sarcasm is at others expense.. Nice how you feel protected behind this invisible barrier of the internet...

I will concede that point and in that regard I apologize.

Tipi Walter
05-18-2011, 10:33
Let's get a little more into this:

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/c/b/7/60599/captionerf4c4129e40372edbd0bb2022ec21bdb7ed3a5535. jpg

Atop Cheoah Bald.

Rain Man
05-18-2011, 10:50
I know many will say that their child is well-trained, but there really is no way to predict how a child will behave in every situation; for this reason, we need stricter leash laws.

Only way to know is to look at cases and statistics. How many attacks and deaths are caused each year by bites of these critters? (whether victims are humans or other critters)

Here in Nashville two pit bulls just killed a neighbor's small dog in the neighbor's yard. That happen a lot with the critters you're asking about?

My own yard is full of various neighbors' dogs' dumps. Sometimes they are even on leashes as they dump in my yard. Maybe the owners should be leashed too?

Rain Man

nufsaid
05-18-2011, 11:02
Only way to know is to look at cases and statistics. How many attacks and deaths are caused each year by bites of these critters? (whether victims are humans or other critters)

Here in Nashville two pit bulls just killed a neighbor's small dog in the neighbor's yard. That happen a lot with the critters you're asking about?

My own yard is full of various neighbors' dogs' dumps. Sometimes they are even on leashes as they dump in my yard. Maybe the owners should be leashed too?

Rain Man

Did you miss that this in the Hiking Humor forum? By the way I love my dogs and children. And as long as they are well behaved, I have no problem tolerating other peoples d&c. I actually really enjoy interacting with them. But I have seen many examples of both that were not well behaved and were annoying at best. The safest way to avoid any hassles may be to have all of them leashed.

Panzer1
05-18-2011, 11:02
I think this is a sad thread. That child may have some kind of mental disorder.

Panzer

Grampie
05-18-2011, 11:09
Let's get a little more into this:

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/c/b/7/60599/captionerf4c4129e40372edbd0bb2022ec21bdb7ed3a5535. jpg

Atop Cheoah Bald.

The caption should read: There is a pretty girl over there and I think I'll pee on her pack to get some attention.

Feral Bill
05-18-2011, 11:48
Don't forget the muzzels.

WingedMonkey
05-18-2011, 11:54
If you people would stop feeding them they would go away.

Rain Man
05-18-2011, 12:52
Did you miss that this in the Hiking Humor forum?

No, I did not.

Rain Man

rusane
05-18-2011, 12:56

I've seen horrific news reports of children shooting other children, tying other children to railroad tracks and other such atrocities. Clearly ALL children can't be trusted and should therefor be leashed!

Spokes
05-18-2011, 13:03
Unattended children will be sold to the circus.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-18-2011, 13:05
Did you miss that this in the Hiking Humor forum? By the way I love my dogs and children. And as long as they are well behaved, I have no problem tolerating other peoples d&c. I actually really enjoy interacting with them. But I have seen many examples of both that were not well behaved and were annoying at best. The safest way to avoid any hassles may be to have all of them leashed...

Actually I had missed that this the humor forum until just now.....But..humor or not...Small kids should be leashed..for their own safety...
They run off, fall over cliffs, chase dogs and or bears and just may bite some one or pee on em.....:banana

DLANOIE
05-18-2011, 13:06
Leashed!!!very very short leashes!!!

reddog176
05-18-2011, 13:07
Unattended children will be given 2 shots of expresso, and a free puppy. ;)

rusane
05-18-2011, 13:09

In 2007, the serious violent crime offending rate was 11 crimes per 1,000 juveniles ages 12–17, with a total of 277,000 such crimes involving juveniles
http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/beh5.asp

Shocking! You just can't trust them. They should all be held accountable for their peers actions

hikerboy57
05-18-2011, 13:10
bungee cord them to your pack. as W.C. once said"I love children, as long as theyre properly cooked!"

nufsaid
05-18-2011, 13:15
No, I did not.

Rain Man

Lighten up Francis. Have you considered that your neighbors may be going out of their way to lead their leashed dogs into your yard to take dumps? :rolleyes:

rusane
05-18-2011, 13:19
Since 1980, serious violent crime involving youth offenders has ranged from 19 percent of all serious violent crimes in 1982 to 26 percent in 1993, the peak year for youth violence. In 2007, 17 percent of all such victimizations reportedly involved a juvenile offender.

All you child apologists should be ASHAMED of yourselves. The statistics don't lie - CHILDREN ARE DANGEROUS

nufsaid
05-18-2011, 13:52
Since 1980, serious violent crime involving youth offenders has ranged from 19 percent of all serious violent crimes in 1982 to 26 percent in 1993, the peak year for youth violence. In 2007, 17 percent of all such victimizations reportedly involved a juvenile offender.

All you child apologists should be ASHAMED of yourselves. The statistics don't lie - CHILDREN ARE DANGEROUS

The statistics on annoying unleashed children must be much higher.

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2011, 13:59
What about cub scouts? I hear children are far more dangerous when they form a pack.

Old Hiker
05-18-2011, 14:07
Unattended children will be sold to the circus.

"The Ransom of Red Chief" comes to mind!

rusane
05-18-2011, 14:33
What about cub scouts? I hear children are far more dangerous when they form a pack.

You are correct. From the same source;

"In over half of all serious violent juvenile crimes reported by victims in 2007, more than one offender was involved in the incident."

:bse

BobTheBuilder
05-18-2011, 14:34

Rain Man

Well, it WAS a humor thread, and it WASN'T really about dogs, but it did have the word "leash", so I guess that is close enough if you felt the need to get that off your chest. Besides, its really difficult to find a dog thread on this site, so I agree. Carpe Threadum!

general
05-18-2011, 14:45
Have you considered that your neighbors may be going out of their way to lead their leashed dogs into your yard to take dumps? :rolleyes:

very possible.

general
05-18-2011, 14:47
i capture unleashed children, give them all of their shots, and sell them on the black market for $50 each.

rusane
05-18-2011, 18:59
Since no amount of debating the subject on WB is going to change the child leash law, I do have some constructive advice for when you inevitably encounter one off leash:

Even if said child is sitting quietly on the side of the trail as you pass, be sure and rattle your trekking poll inches from their face. It is the only thing that will stop them from pouncing on you! Remember also to approach with an aggressive as possible posture - we all know that will sooth the situation and won't instigate anything at all.