PDA

View Full Version : Single Serving Mashed Potatoes

Gaiter
05-18-2011, 15:47
I found single serving mashed potatoes packets, first time i've seen them, nice for short trips where i don't want to eat a big bag of mashed potatoes for dinner... but what i'm curious about is: has anyone tried to cook in the bag like you can do oatmeal or grits, does it expand too much, does the bag hold up?

schnikel
05-18-2011, 17:47
I use them often on trips but never tried to heat them in the bag like outmeal. They do expand a lot but the hardest might be having all the flakes rehydrate. It would be much harder and a small bag of outmeal. It might be more trouble than its worth.
Give it a shot though, its only about 1$ right?
Schnikel

solobip
05-18-2011, 17:57
I tried to mix a regular size in the bag, there was a lot of flakes on the bottom, and seemed too dry I kept adding water and oil to cream it out. It was ok but next time I will use a bowl. I put the bag in a cuzy, mashed it up, stirred it and still had dry corners and bottom. But that was a regular size bag. I haven't seen the singles yet.

scope
05-18-2011, 18:01
Eating oatmeal out of the bags they come in? This seems like a lot of trouble to me and wondering why one would do this. Is it a cleanup thing? A lightweight thing? I don't burn my trash and it seems like this would create more trash weight to carry to the next garbage can.

Gaiter
05-18-2011, 18:07
oatmeal and grits out of the single serving packets is an easy way to minimize morning cleanup, just gotta heat some water, which is especially convenient if you are heating up water for a cup of coffee or tea anyways... pour in a half the water at first, stir really well getting the bottom corners and then add the rest of the water, i usually just hold mine in a hanky to deal with the heat...

Gaiter
05-18-2011, 18:08
here is the link to the single serving mashed potatoes...
http://www.idahoan.com/idahoan_new_products_2009

Uncle Walkie
05-18-2011, 19:39
I've tried a couple of brands of instant mashed potatoes in single servings...the Idahoan are muuuuch better

I never cook them in the bag though...I do add some of the pre-cooked bacon to them..with salt and pepper they are great

scope
05-19-2011, 08:56
oatmeal and grits out of the single serving packets is an easy way to minimize morning cleanup, just gotta heat some water, which is especially convenient if you are heating up water for a cup of coffee or tea anyways... pour in a half the water at first, stir really well getting the bottom corners and then add the rest of the water, i usually just hold mine in a hanky to deal with the heat...

I get that its easier cleanup, especially in the a.m. when you have to pack everything back up, but seems to me you have much nastier trash now than with just the paper envelope which can be put in a ziploc to be thrown away later while recycling the ziploc.

LDog
05-19-2011, 09:04
I get that its easier cleanup, especially in the a.m. when you have to pack everything back up, but seems to me you have much nastier trash now than with just the paper envelope which can be put in a ziploc to be thrown away later while recycling the ziploc.

You still have just the paper envelope which can be put in a ziploc to be thrown away later. It's just damp.

Dogwood
05-19-2011, 16:03
I've tried a couple of brands of instant mashed potatoes in single servings...the Idahoan are muuuuch better UncleWalkie

That's my take too.

FWIW, the only dehydrated mashed potatoes that I commonly find outside of health food stores that DO NOT contain HYDROGENATED or PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OIL are the Idahoan ORIGINAL FLAVOR. AS far as I know all the other flavors of IDAHOAN DO CONTAIN H and PH OILS. Don't eat that shart!

I get the Idahoan Original typically at WalMart in 2 and 4 oz packages for about 45 to 80 cents each and flavor them with Butter Buds, a pinch of sea salt, and some spices. I mix them with dehydrated hummus too for something different. Buying bigger boxes and dividing into sized portions to meet your own needs cuts the cost even more.

I have never tried cooking them in a bag. Try it! Pour some hot water into the pouch. See how it goes. Just don't melt the bag!

Blissful
05-19-2011, 18:54
I use them in my Ramen broth after the noodles (and veggies I put in) are gone; tastes good

garlic08
05-20-2011, 09:52
You don't even have to cook instant potatoes. I've been eating them for years reconstituted in cold water. The French have a name for cold potato soup--vichyssoise.

It's much easier to do in a small plastic cup. I have tried them with cold and hot water in the packets and it is real hard to get the bottom mixed.

It bothers me a little to see individual packaged servings of nearly everything. There's so much trash.... It's not that hard to buy the larger box or package and repackage servings for yourself in small bags that can be reused after dumping the contents in a reusable cup. Cheaper per serving, too. Rant over.

Dogwood
05-20-2011, 19:41
Who Knew? I came to WB this afternoon for a French lesson! I've heard that word many times- vichyssoise- but never know what it was. Now, I speak French!

Oui oui vichyssoise.

mweinstone
05-20-2011, 19:55
eighty eight. 88. thats the percent sodium in a pack. searves 4. 22% of the salt you need in each. times 4 equals heart attak in a bag. bad crap. really deadly. not a joke. horrid marketing. if you could hold in your hand the rotten small bit of real potatoe in each serving, you would laughh. then die. then make that death rattle. please. i love you all so much. cant you bother yourself with plain flakes and soup them up? might be cool? chicks would think your more creative and veganlike.lol.please, if you have friends or children, dont eat the pre deathed loads.

Papa D
05-20-2011, 20:29
I didn't know that hikers ate oatmeal in any way other than out of the bag - I just rip the top off of one and pour in a little water - hot or cold - doesn't matter - easy breakfast with coffee and a bar (hot) or a snack (cold) - as for the potato thing, just zip lock half the bag but ..... why would you not want to eat a whole bag of potatoes ..... maybe you should increase your miles a bit - ha ha

Joker4ink
05-23-2011, 22:55
I have eaten mashed potatoes on the trail before. I have never purchased any single serving packets though. I use the small (quart size I think) Ziplock Freezer bags since you can pour boiling liquids in them without fail. Do not use regular ziplock bags for this, however. You can add any pepper or salt right in the bag before you go. It's cheaper than the single serving packets. That's also how I eat oatmeal on the trail.