PDA

View Full Version : Good hikes north of NJ

dklax77
05-18-2011, 18:12
My friend and I are currently planning a trip for this summer to hike Mt. Katahdin. We live in New Jersey so instead of driving all the way up to Maine for such a short hike, we are looking for some other hikes to do along the way. Anything between New Jersey and Katahdin is good as long as it is not one that we have already done (Mt. Washington and the Presidentials, Lafayette, 100 mile wilderness, Mahoosic).

What are your favorite mountains/hikes you have done on this portion of the AT?

LIhikers
05-18-2011, 22:33
How about Stratton Mt. in Vermont?

weary
05-18-2011, 23:05
My friend and I are currently planning a trip for this summer to hike Mt. Katahdin. We live in New Jersey so instead of driving all the way up to Maine for such a short hike, we are looking for some other hikes to do along the way. Anything between New Jersey and Katahdin is good as long as it is not one that we have already done (Mt. Washington and the Presidentials, Lafayette, 100 mile wilderness, Mahoosic).

What are your favorite mountains/hikes you have done on this portion of the AT?
You don't say how long you have. But Route 4 to Route 27 over Saddleback in Maine is a great hike. If you have the time, take the side trail to the summit of Abraham, and do a traverse of the Bigelow Range from Route 27 -- or Stratton -- north to the Long Falls Dam Road.

And if you still have time, the Long Falls Dam Road to the Kennebec River and beyond are excellent sections.

jersey joe
05-19-2011, 08:07
I hiked up to Mt. Laffayette from Franconia Notch in NH last summer. Fantastic hike!

DaveSail
05-19-2011, 14:22
I'd like to see those new steps on Bear Mountain !! David

skeeterbait
05-19-2011, 17:15
Just have to point out there's a LOT more hiking in Baxter than just Katahdin. Climbing Hamlin Peak from Chimney Pond for one - great views of Katahdin from there!
You could also check out some of the hikes along the coast of Maine, Cadillac Mt for one, or Acadia National Park.

dklax77
05-19-2011, 22:12
Thank you all for the recommendations!

We don't really have much a time limit, it just has to be before the end of August when college starts.

All of these trails sound great though...NH and VT seem to have some of the best mountains on the AT.

Cookerhiker
05-20-2011, 10:14
Start at Massachusetts Rt. 2 in North Adams, hiking north through Vermont, and see how far you get. You should at least experience the high points of Glastonbury, Stratton, and Killington mountains plus indulge in some of the VT ponds like Stratton and Little Rock.