PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Presents For A Hiker

Mother Natures Son
05-18-2011, 18:27
My wife (Angel Eyes) birthday is coming up soon and I'm clueless on what to get her. I am looking to get her something hiking related but what? She has all the stuff a good hiker would need, boots, pack ect. Anyone have any ideas? :banana

Sierra Echo
05-18-2011, 18:30
A gift certificate!

Spokes
05-18-2011, 18:38
Buy her a pair of her favorite hiking socks and slip a gift certificate inside for a deluxe pedicure at her favorite salon. Every hiker I know loves the chance to pamper their feet.

johnnybgood
05-18-2011, 18:39
A gift certificate!
Nice call !!

Many Walks
05-18-2011, 18:52
This is something we do on special occasions. Reserve a cabin or fire tower through the NPS for the weekend of her birthday. You can day hike around the area with her. A nice bottle of wine and snacks shared on a summit would be fun as well as a nice meal prepared by you back at camp. The thought may be appreciated more than another piece of gear.

Jersey Tim
05-18-2011, 19:51
This is something we do on special occasions. Reserve a cabin or fire tower through the NPS for the weekend of her birthday.
You can do that? That's kinda awesome.

BradMT
05-18-2011, 21:08
My wife (Angel Eyes) birthday is coming up soon and I'm clueless on what to get her. I am looking to get her something hiking related but what? She has all the stuff a good hiker would need, boots, pack ect. Anyone have any ideas? :banana

As one of her 25th Anniversary presents last year, I bought my wife a Neoair... she said it's the best gift she's ever gotten. Totally revolutionized how she sleeps on our backpack trips.

Not sure if that gift reflects very well on me as a husband, but it sure reflects well on her as a fantastic wife :D

4Bears
05-18-2011, 21:30
Buy her a pair of her favorite hiking socks and slip a gift certificate inside for a deluxe pedicure at her favorite salon. Every hiker I know loves the chance to pamper their feet.

Plus 1 on this or maybe a whole day of pampering for her and a friend at a day spa.

Hikerhead
05-18-2011, 21:48
Buy her some pickles to take on her next hike.

Many Walks
05-18-2011, 22:34
You can do that? That's kinda awesome.
Absolutely. There are a lot of old towers that have been restored and are now being rented to the public through the National Recreation Reservation Service. We're going to the one in Lassen NF for Fathers Day. Last fall we had one in the Shasta NF. It's always a great view with lots of hiking opportunities around them. Here's the link to the National Historic Lookout Register that shows the towers in each state. http://nhlr.org/default.aspx (http://nhlr.org/default.aspx) If a tower is a rental there will be a tower symbol in the rental column to the right. New Jersey has a lot of towers, but none are rentals unfortunately. I've been trying to work with the Forest Service to organize volunteers to renovate the tower at Pilot Peak just off the PCT between Quincy and LaPorte, CA, but they move slower than cold molasses with all the bureaucracy. Overall though the program is pretty cool. They run about $75 a night and can sleep about 6-8 in the tower and on the catwalk with more camping around the base. They generally have a couple of beds. For two people it's a little pricey, but talk about a room with a view!