PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a pack rain cover?

Uncle Walkie
05-18-2011, 20:03
I backpack when I can, right now I am accumulating gear for thru hike...three years out...

Do I really need a rain cover for my hike? If the things I'm really concerned with are waterproofed inside my pack, then should I bother outside?

Have considered a blaze orange one for safety during hunting season...but ...your opinion?

Thanks

Spokes
05-18-2011, 20:09
I mostly curse mine. Next long distance hike I'm leaving it home.

Jonnycat
05-18-2011, 20:14
My raingear is a poncho, which fits over me _and_ my pack, eliminating the need for a seperate pack cover.

Skidsteer
05-18-2011, 20:17
I backpack when I can, right now I am accumulating gear for thru hike...three years out...

Do I really need a rain cover for my hike? If the things I'm really concerned with are waterproofed inside my pack, then should I bother outside?

Have considered a blaze orange one for safety during hunting season...but ...your opinion?

Thanks

No, you can use a trash compactor bag inside your pack to keep your gear dry or use a Packa.

NEPilgrim
05-18-2011, 20:22
Like Skids suggested, I too use a trash compactor bag inside my pack. Didn't want to spend over $20 for a pack liner. But I'd also recommend a pack cover. One reason is that nothing really is waterproof, only water resistant. If you're caught in constant heavy rains for extended periods, then water can eventually find its way into your pack. This happened to me. A liner & cover will eliminate any problems. Together, they way mere ounces. I feel it's worth it. Hope that helps. Good luck preparing for your TH.

10-K
05-18-2011, 20:34
I use one though I admit it does wet out eventually.

It's great for short showers or a light drizzle especially if it's close to the end of the day. I put my pack in my tent with me and when it's wet that kinda sucks.

One thing that I do like about it is that I can take my pack off and put it on the ground when it's raining without my pack getting muddy.

sbhikes
05-18-2011, 20:37
You can make a pack cover from a heavy-duty black lawn and leaf bag. Those things are made to have sticks put in them so they are strong and can withstand brushing up against plants on the trail. Just cut two holes at the top for your shoulder straps. Then tuck in all the excess bag behind your back or however you can so it doesn't make a lot of noise as you walk.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-18-2011, 20:59
I use a trash compactor bag inside my pack AND rain cover outside...I use the rain cover even when it's not raining..why? It helps to protect an expensive pack with a much less expensive cover....It also protects my pack from UV damage over the years...so..the cover gets uv damage..It's much cheaper than the back pack..And the 2 or 3 ounce weight won't kill anybody..just my opinion...

Joker4ink
05-18-2011, 21:18
I go with a trash bag as a pack liner. It keeps the rain off your gear and, if you have a bladder in your pack and it should somehow leak, your clothes, bag and gear stay dry since it is not inside it.

Dogwood
05-18-2011, 21:29
This IS NOT ONLY but very often another decision based on saving wt.

Do I really need a rain cover for my hike? If the things I'm really concerned with are waterproofed inside my pack, then should I bother outside? - Uncle Walkie

Do you not mind your backpack getting wet and possibly absorbing more water without a rain cover? Based on what you said and if the answer is no then you probably don't need a rain cover.

I carry a rain cover often or when I think rain is a definite possibility because I DO depend on carrying non or marginally WP items in outside pocket storage areas of my pack. If I know there is a great chance of prolonged or heavy rains or if I was thruing, say the Pacific Northwest Trail, I might even elect to carry a pack liner AND a pack cover.

If you're caught in constant heavy rains for extended periods, then water can eventually find its way into your pack. This happened to me. A liner & cover will eliminate any problems. Together, they way mere ounces. I feel it's worth it. Hope that helps. Good luck preparing for your TH. - Pilgrim

Ditto.

Papa D
05-18-2011, 21:30
I actually have really good results with mine - it's a sea to summit. It is of course still important to keep things that should be kept dry in dry bags inside your pack. I also keep a little piece of tyvek at the bottom of my pack - it keeps water from wicking in when I set it down

JaxHiker
05-18-2011, 21:51
I have the JRB cover which has multiple uses. Unfortunately on the last hike it became a funnel after a while and just directed the water down my neck. :(

Walkintom
05-18-2011, 22:34
My poncho is made to cover my pack and that's enough for me.

DavidNH
05-18-2011, 23:29
you want all the protection you can get. Line inside of pack with one or even two layers of trash bag and also use pack cover (unless you have a poncho that covers your pack). If you don't use a pack cover.. the pack material will soak and be heavier.

That said, a pack cover on it's own is absolutely NOT adequate. Water will find its way in.

David

rusane
05-19-2011, 01:05
For those concerned with weight:

I am willing to bet the water absorbed in a soggy pack weighs more than a pack cover. A typical pack cover weighs 4oz, thats only half a cup of water. Your pack will easily absorb much more than that. Of course, for long dry spells, your carrying an extra 4oz.

Woodturner
05-19-2011, 03:51
As others have already said, it's still a good idea to bag some things inside your pack, but I consider a pack cover one of the MUST haves. On more than one occassion when rain actually felt good, the pack cover was the only rain gear that I was using.

It is my humble opinion that, except in a narrow temperature range, the real purpose of raingear is not to keep you dry, but to keep you warm. Sweat will make your clothes just as wet as rain will.

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 08:28
Do I really need a rain cover for my hike?

No, you do not "really" need a rain cover. As several have said also, I use a trash compactor bag instead. It's a multi-use item, besides.

I have a Gregory pack cover that I used for about a year, then retired it. If anyone would like it, I'll mail it to them. It's blue and fits my Gregory Reality pack.

I made several of these for just that purpose. To me, it's a great idea.

Rain:sunMan

Blissful
05-19-2011, 09:01
I use both. Also depends on your pack. I had my gregory out for 15 minutes in a solid rain during my TV interview without a pack cover and it was soaked through with the inside contents damp. I wouldn't take the chance and the ultralights weigh little.

Blissful
05-19-2011, 09:02
I actually have really good results with mine - it's a sea to summit. It is of course still important to keep things that should be kept dry in dry bags inside your pack. I also keep a little piece of tyvek at the bottom of my pack - it keeps water from wicking in when I set it down

Neat suggestion on the tyvek, never thought of that.

I have a Sea to Summit too, used in in wet PA for the first time, love it

Rick500
05-19-2011, 09:08
I use one. It's orange, so it's a part-time multitasker. I also use a compactor bag inside my pack, so, yeah, it's probably overkill.

I also used the pack cover to keep the cold wind off of the spot I was sleeping in Thomas Knob Shelter last October when they were doing repairs and put up a new log wall but hadn't yet sealed it up. :)

Skywalker
05-19-2011, 09:28

Thanks
Heck yes!

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail

Doc Mike
05-19-2011, 11:28
I use one. It's orange, so it's a part-time multitasker. I also use a compactor bag inside my pack, so, yeah, it's probably overkill.

I also used the pack cover to keep the cold wind off of the spot I was sleeping in Thomas Knob Shelter last October when they were doing repairs and put up a new log wall but hadn't yet sealed it up. :)

There is a tarp over that now at least there was a few weeks ago. A sign said they would fix it when the weather warmed up.

Rick500
05-19-2011, 13:20
Yeah, there was actually a tarp over it when I was there. The wind was coming in through the crack where the wall meets the floor. That's where the pack cover came in. :)

Tipi Walter
05-19-2011, 13:38
I use a pack cover---OR X-Large---but it doesn't work in heavy downpours as the water comes down my back and into the pack. I still carry it as I don't want to line my pack with a pack-liner and deal with yet another layer of material between me and my gear---plus my pack body full length zipper sort of negates a liner. And forget about a Packa---there's none made that will fit my huge loads.

A pack cover is valuable in the winter as you do not want your pack to get wet and then frozen whereby the zippers don't work and the pack fabric is like cardboard.

In a hard rain my usual technique is to dump the pack on the ground with the cover on, lean it up just right against a tree and squat and wait out the worst of the storm. This way, my pack gear stays dry and no water can get down behind the pack around the harness.

bulldog49
05-19-2011, 15:24
My raingear is a poncho, which fits over me _and_ my pack, eliminating the need for a seperate pack cover.

Except for when you stop and take your pack off. :-?

jeffmeh
05-19-2011, 15:29
I use a pack cover---OR X-Large---but it doesn't work in heavy downpours as the water comes down my back and into the pack. I still carry it as I don't want to line my pack with a pack-liner and deal with yet another layer of material between me and my gear---plus my pack body full length zipper sort of negates a liner. And forget about a Packa---there's none made that will fit my huge loads.

A pack cover is valuable in the winter as you do not want your pack to get wet and then frozen whereby the zippers don't work and the pack fabric is like cardboard.

In a hard rain my usual technique is to dump the pack on the ground with the cover on, lean it up just right against a tree and squat and wait out the worst of the storm. This way, my pack gear stays dry and no water can get down behind the pack around the harness.

Custom Packa?

Jonnycat
05-19-2011, 18:06
Except for when you stop and take your pack off. :-?

My pack has a DWR coating on it, and during the two times I have it off (while eating and when setting up camp), that coating (as well as putting it under a tree/log/berm or under the poncho with me) has been sufficient enough to keep the inside contents dry.

Panzer1
05-19-2011, 21:25
since I use my pack as a pillow, I need to keep it as dry as possible. I don't want to bring a dripping wet pack into my little pup tent and get water all over. So I use a silnylon pack cover (weight 3.9 ounces) I leave the wet rain cover outside at night.

Also, when you set your pack down on the wet muddy ground the rain cover helps keep it clean.

Panzer

TIDE-HSV
05-19-2011, 21:43

I've used orange vests in hunting season, but I've considered sewing a broad orange stripe up the middle of my pack cover, and, because of college loyalties, I hate all orange... :D

George
05-19-2011, 22:21
I did PA in nov, much of the trail is on state game lands so loads of deer hunting, the blaze orange pack cover was perfect. many hunters thanked me as a lot of hikers wear no hi-vis making for a potentially bad incident for everyone involved, even if no one is shot a near miss is disturbing for both parties

garlic08
05-20-2011, 09:40
I don't use a pack cover, but my pack is silnylon so it doesn't absorb water the way other materials do. I put all my insulation in one trash compactor bag and if it's well tied, I even trust it for brief immersion.

In hunting season, I carry a traffic vest I use for cycling and wrap that around the pack. I just got a bright yellow cycling wind shirt and I'll bring that along for hunting hikes, too. I agree with being as visible as possible during hunting season, and I usually enjoy encountering hunters--they usually have a pot of coffee and pot of something good to eat nearby. In exchange, I'll tell them what game and signs I've seen, and share map details they may not have. A little mutual respect and trust go a long way.

traildust
05-20-2011, 09:50
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!