PDA

View Full Version : Where to park?

CentralVaAt
05-18-2011, 20:52
I'm looking for suggestions on a good parking spot a close to midway through the park as possible where I can leave a car for 4-5 days? I'll be hiking southbound to another car that I want to leave at the welcome center right outside of the park. Who do I contact about about leaving a second car there? Thanks for any help!

johnnybgood
05-18-2011, 21:40
Bryd Visitor Center at Big Meadows is a good place to park a car midway for a week.
Simply fill out a backcountry pass at the entrance station listing information about the car being left at Bryd Visitor Center.
Also alert the staff at the visitor center about your plans.

Afton Inn is the best place I know to leave a car for 5 days , although I have left a car for 3 days at the pull off just before entering SNP.
I would still recommend leaving the car at Afton Inn . Go to the front desk and let the clerk know what your plans are and they will give you a waiver form to fill out .

It's been a few years since my '09 thru of the park and if there's a more secure place then maybe someone else can chime in.

CentralVaAt
05-19-2011, 07:08
Thanks! How far is the walk to the Afton Inn from rockfish gap? Also, what is the name of the little welcome center right on top of Afton Mountain kind of in between SNP and the BRP...is that still open? I used to leave my car there for day hikes sometimes.

Skid.
05-19-2011, 08:05
Also, there have been posts on here about extended parking at the 4-H Center on the outskirts of Front Royal, stop in their office and fill out a form. There is a side trail to the AT from the center, this is about 1 mile south of the Rte 522 crossing.