PDA

View Full Version : Long-Haul Food

ChinMusic
05-18-2011, 21:20
What meals/snacks have you carried the furthest before finally eating it, giving it away, or throwing it out?

I just noticed that I have a couple snacks that have racked up a gob of miles.

Dogwood
05-18-2011, 21:35
If I notice I'm not using something on the trail, whether it be food or something else, I carefully weigh the pros/cons of ditchig it, mailing it hoime, or mailing it to someplace where I think I might need it.

I purposefully try to CAREFULLY plan my trailfood out so I hit my next resupply with VERY little or nothing left! The more you do it the better you get at it.

ChinMusic
05-19-2011, 10:13
My bag was pretty empty on my last section as I dropped down to 19E. Still have a couple "survivors".

bigcranky
05-19-2011, 10:42
I had an Enertia Foods spaghetti meal in my food bag for several years. It was part of my menu planning each time, but for whatever reason I never ate it. When I finally opened it up, the tomato powder was rock solid and unusable. And man, I was hungry that day.

Dogwood
05-19-2011, 15:38
I had an Enertia Foods spaghetti meal in my food bag for several years. It was part of my menu planning each time, but for whatever reason I never ate it. When I finally opened it up, the tomato powder was rock solid and unusable. And man, I was hungry that day.

LOL! Most of those Enertia portions are so small with so few cals I could easily chow two of them! That spaghetti one is one of the worst in this regard. Hey where the heck did my Snickers go? I left it right there next to you Dogwood! Ummm, I thought that was for me!

They are tasty though! Enertia has to tweak up the cals/portion and the portion sizes to meet hungry hiker demands.

garlic08
05-19-2011, 15:46
I might have a ramen last a couple of hikes without getting eaten. I eat them uncooked and they aren't very appetizing, but they're cheap and pretty easy to find. I carry one as an "emergency meal" if grocery pickings are otherwise pretty slim. It's also easy to throw it away or put in a hiker box when I find something better.

I'm in Dogwood's school of trying to perfectly plan my food bag so I hike into town empty. I got pretty good at it on the AT.

max patch
05-19-2011, 16:42
I purposefully try to CAREFULLY plan my trailfood out so I hit my next resupply with VERY little or nothing left! The more you do it the better you get at it.

Not me. I intentionally carry one day extra food in case I "need" to have it (bad weather, illness, injury) or "want" to have it (decide to slow down or stop early a couple days for whatever reason). The flexibility is worth the 2 pounds for me.