PDA

View Full Version : Water bladders...yes or no?

Joker4ink
05-18-2011, 21:28
Water bladders: Some people love 'em, some people despise 'em. I'm just wondering how many people use bladders in their pack. Or do you only use quart/liter bottles? Maybe even a combination of both even. I use one with a small Poland Springs water bottle as backup or to put a flavored beverage in.

Lone Wolf
05-18-2011, 21:33
no. bladders not needed. most leak.

JaxHiker
05-18-2011, 21:49
I'm taking one week after next. Just got the Sawyer 3-way filter and I figure I can use it as a gravity filter in camp. Otherwise it'll be dry unless water is scarce and I feel the need to stock up.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-18-2011, 21:54
I have 2 Camelbak bladders and have never had a leak..that's not to say it never will but I've had it for years..I also carry a Nalgene bottle I like being able to drink whenever I want without having to dig out a bottle. I also have a MSR Dromedary bag..but it does have a slow leak at the cap so I don't take it anymore...

Skidsteer
05-18-2011, 22:16
Hate 'em. When they leak it's a disaster. Especially in the Winter.

I have friends that use them with no problems so maybe it's just me.

I use a quart bottle.

Praha4
05-18-2011, 22:20
don't use them in the winter, freezing temps makes them leak.

I've never had a problem the rest of the year with my Platypus Big-zip, love it. They are much easier to use while hiking than water bottles. That said, i always carry an empty 1.0L gatorade bottle, to mix propel or other electrolyte drinks

chiefduffy
05-18-2011, 22:20
Used to use a bladder until I ran out unexpectedly on a hot climb one day. Easy to see how much water you have left in a bottle...

ChinMusic
05-18-2011, 22:22
32-oz Gatorade bottle for most areas. Have a 4L Platy that I use in camp or for stretches that are possibly dry.

For the most part I just use the 32-oz Gatorade bottle. I don't want to have a bladder leaking (read tons of journals with such mishaps) or have to futz around cleaning the thing. I just throw out my bottle and get a new one when the mood hits. They make a good pee-bottle too.

Walkintom
05-18-2011, 22:31
I use a 3L Big Zip and also carry a 1L bottle.

Bladder is wonderfully convenient to make sure I drink enough while hiking but the insurance of the 1L is nice.

TallShark
05-18-2011, 22:41
Two 1L nalgenes and a 1L platy. Something about an over stuffed pack pushing up against a full bladder seems like a bad idea.

Point Man Chef
05-18-2011, 22:50
I use a 2 litre Camelbak and a 1 litre nalgene bottle. I use them in different ways depending on how the day is going. I have learned not to pass up a water source on long stretches or climbs. As far as a leak, I have not had that experience but I pack all my important gear in a trash compactor bag and place the bladder in such a way in case if it were to leak/sweat it will nor affect the contents of my pack.

Uncle Walkie
05-18-2011, 22:52
carry 2, 1 liter Nalgene bottles, then have a 2 liter collapsible Platypus used when making camp/cooking

have carried a Camelback in the past but the hose can quickly get nasty..mold etc....not to mention leaking.....some like the ease of drinking from a tube when walking, but stopping to fish out a bottle and drink doesn't take that much time...I have to rush in my real life too often...on the trail I want to slow down!

10-K
05-18-2011, 22:53
Nope.... Gatorade bottle and camel up at stream crossings.

harryfred
05-18-2011, 23:09
2L Outdoor Products. one I have used for 3 years, never had a leak problem, and I am rough on it. I have a second I use if I know I will camp between water sources that are several miles apart. I also carry a Gator Aide bottle for Gator Aide and one for water if I think I might run my bladder dry. I also have a modified bag out of boxed wine I use for camp water but I can fill with a couple of liters and carry in the top of my pack If I camp a long way from a water source. In cold weather, blow back through your hose to keep it from freezing.

Jonnycat
05-18-2011, 23:29
I use a 2L or 3L platy on top of the stuff in my pack (not in the hydration pouch), depending on temperature/distance to next water. When they get ratty looking I relegate them to camp duty to decrease the chances of a leak in my pack.

So far this works out great, and carrying an extra platy is only an ounce or two.

Leanthree
05-18-2011, 23:47
I use a camelback in the desert but other than that I like 1 nalgene (I know it is heavier than a gatorade bottle but I like having one for hot drinks) and 1 or 2 gatorade bottles depending on the expected water availability and whether I want the flexibility to dry camp.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-18-2011, 23:50
I carry one sometimes to take water to a dry campsite or on a long stretch without water sources but I usually just keep water in some sort of re-purposed plastic bottle.
I definitely do not do the bladder with the drinking hose thing.

Amanita
05-18-2011, 23:54
I carry a 2 liter camelback (6oz) and a 3+ liter nalgene canteen (3oz) plus another small water bottle. I use aqua mira so the nalgene canteen is used to treat water, which is then poured into the other two. the small water bottle is kept with between 1/8 and 1/2 liter of water depending on how hot/dry the day is. I fill the camelback when I treat, and then sip slowly all day until it goes dry. Once the camelback is empty I check for the distance to the next water source and ration the small bottle. I also try and pay attention to have plenty of water for a big climb, but try not to fill up before I reach "developed" water or if I won't drink most of it before I hit camp. For example, carrying 2 liters of water IN to town and around all day isn't fun.

I find the camelback helps me keep momentum. Sipping slowly rather than "cameling up" at the source also decreases the number of times I have to urinate in a day. Not such a big deal for the men folk, but for us ladies finding a good spot to pee and taking the time to dig a cat hole can be a real chore.

rusane
05-19-2011, 00:45
I use a 3 litre bladder and carry a klean kanteen as well. I'd lose it without the bladder. I take frequent small sips especially when ascending. I can't imagine not having it. Perhaps it's mostly psychological, but it gets me up the hill. I carry the kleen kanteen to mix powdered drinks in, to use around the campsite, and to have something for my canine companion if he's with me and we haven't crossed an appropriate water source in a long time.

I do know from my days as as a paramedic that if you drink too much water in one go, as a stowed bottle encourages you to, most of it passes through without rehydrating you. Even if you use a bottle, you should drink lots of small sips.

Gaiter
05-19-2011, 01:30
i like them, plus my dog learned how to drink from the hose so the doggie bowl not needed as much.. the two holes i've had to deal with: one was from my own stupidity, the other was from just wearing the bag out, surprised that it made it as long as it did...

daddytwosticks
05-19-2011, 07:22
Use a combination of 1 L and 20 oz plastic sports drink bottles. Use a platy big zip style waterbag while in camp. Sometimes those water sources are a long way from camp. :)

flemdawg1
05-19-2011, 08:34
2l bladder and a nalgene/gatorade bottle. Probably going to take a 750ml platy instead of the bottle next time. for sports drinks. I've had 1 bladder leak in 5 years, pinhole easily repaired.

scope
05-19-2011, 08:49
I carry both a bottle and bladder... bottle for filling up on the fly, bladder for camp. I've gotten away from using the bladder w/hose when I hike a distance unless I know its sort of a dry section, or its a day trip. Nice to have a reservoir of water in camp, so I take a 3L Platty which rolls up and is easy to pack when not is use. Had it for about 7 years now with no issues.

JaxHiker
05-19-2011, 10:00
Used to use a bladder until I ran out unexpectedly on a hot climb one day. Easy to see how much water you have left in a bottle...

This is my biggest beef with bladders. However, I decided to pick up Camelbak's FlowMeter and it's actually pretty cool. Not 100% accurate but it gives you a good idea of your water situation.

bigcranky
05-19-2011, 10:43
I do carry a bag to collect and treat water (Platy 6-liter big zip.) But for walking I carry 1-liter soda or gatorade bottles.

Namaste
05-19-2011, 10:46
Yes to bladder. Never had any leaks. I also carry a water bottle in side pocket. I drink a lot of water.

tolkien
05-19-2011, 10:58
My plan is two or three 1L Platypus water carriers (instead of one big one in case of a leak) and a smaller water bottle for tea bags/water mix.

Chop
05-19-2011, 11:05
Used to use them for a lot of hiking till I tried the gatorade bottle method.

With bottles:

Better cleaning

Can see how much water I have

Always accessible

No more leaks

Replace easily

Easy/quick to fill at streams

It has been a very good change for me, ymmv.

ChinMusic
05-19-2011, 11:48
My plan is two or three 1L Platypus water carriers (instead of one big one in case of a leak)
This is important in very dry regions, like out west. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I don't do that for the AT.

Berserker
05-19-2011, 12:47
I use 1 liter platys with a drinking hose. I store the platy (or platys if I need to carry extra water for a "dry" stretch) in my side pocket so I can fill it easy, and in case it leaks so water won't go all over inside my pack.

Spider
05-19-2011, 13:06
tough to clean and tough to fill unless you've got a spout. easier to stick with gatorade bottles, cheaper too.

skooch
05-19-2011, 15:21
I carry a 2 liter camelback (6oz) and a 3+ liter nalgene canteen (3oz) plus another small water bottle. I use aqua mira so the nalgene canteen is used to treat water, which is then poured into the other two. the small water bottle is kept with between 1/8 and 1/2 liter of water depending on how hot/dry the day is. I fill the camelback when I treat, and then sip slowly all day until it goes dry. Once the camelback is empty I check for the distance to the next water source and ration the small bottle. I also try and pay attention to have plenty of water for a big climb, but try not to fill up before I reach "developed" water or if I won't drink most of it before I hit camp. For example, carrying 2 liters of water IN to town and around all day isn't fun.

I find the camelback helps me keep momentum. Sipping slowly rather than "cameling up" at the source also decreases the number of times I have to urinate in a day. Not such a big deal for the men folk, but for us ladies finding a good spot to pee and taking the time to dig a cat hole can be a real chore.

That's what I like too. And I read somewhere that the body cannot absorb more than 4oz at a time.:rolleyes: The rest just goes to pee. sippy is the way to go.

Joker4ink
05-19-2011, 15:58
My girlfriend and I use 3L Nalgene bladders and we have never had any serious problems. After extensive use and multiple marks on the reservoir bags, they have never leaked. I once had an issue where a few small drops leaked out of the bottom reservoir attachment. I called Nalgene to order a new one but they shipped me out one free of cost. I would say their customer service is excellent and have no reservations about purchasing more in the future.

Panzer1
05-19-2011, 16:10
I've been using my 4L Dromlite bladder for 10 years without a leak.

However, in the winter,you must drain the hose, especially at night.

Panzer

garlic08
05-19-2011, 16:45
I thought bladders and hoses were a cool gimmick until I started desert hiking. If you set your pack down on a downed acacia branch, the thorns will go through the pack and into your bladder. Anything thinner than a Gatorade bottle is not suitable. Acacia will also reach out and grab your bite valve while you're hiking and rip it right off, then you have to staunch the flow with one hand while you get the pack off, find the valve, and fix it with the other hand, where you cannot afford to loose any water.

I learned how to put a rigid bottle in a side pack pocket I can reach without taking the pack off. I agree completely with small sip method--that works really well.

bulldog49
05-20-2011, 08:48
I've used Platy bladders for years, never had one leak. After a trip I just leave them sit in the sun or under a lamp until they dry out. Don't see any need to "clean" as water is the only thing I ever put in them. I don't baby them either. I've dropped full ones, I leave them laying around on the ground in camp and squeeze them tightly on or into my pack.

They are so light I always carry two, as backup in case and also I fill both in camp to lessen trips to the water source. Plus you can't beat them if you are hiking thru a dry area and need to carry extra water. When empty they roll up and take no space whatsoever.

stars in her eyes
05-20-2011, 10:31
I've used bladders in the past, but I found them to be more trouble than they're worth. They leak, the valves break, the valves get filthy if you aren't militant about keeping them clean....

My go-to water container has been a pair of those tall SmartWater bottles or a pair of nalgenes. Easy to filter water into, easy to keep clean, if they leak they won't drench the entire contents of your pack like a pack-based bladder will, and they're very cheaply replaced if they break.

Chad
05-20-2011, 12:12
I carry a 2L bladder and a 1L bottle as well. As for leak protection, I keep the bladder outside of my pack liner so that even if it does leak my stuff is safe.

I'm curious though for the people who carry one or two water bottles, how often do you have to stop for water?

swjohnsey
05-20-2011, 18:23
I am carrying 2 1 liter Gatorade bottles. I seldom use the second one except for a pee bottle (I give it a good rinse befor using it for drinking water, hygine ya know).

Papa D
05-20-2011, 20:37
I think that a camelback is pretty great for a trail run or day hike. I hate them for backpacking - empty Gatoraid bottles are pretty much the lightest and most convenient water vessel - in winter I carry a nalgene bottle that I can use as a hot water bottle on super cold nights

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2011, 21:06
I have had two Camelbaks take a Huge Dump in my pack. Switched to Compeditor, still on the fence.

jeremiah j
05-21-2011, 00:44
Bladder- too much trouble, I can deal with a bottle.

Jim Adams
05-21-2011, 14:53
bladders are a hassle. I carry a gatoraide bottle or 2.

geek

sir limpsalot
05-22-2011, 16:20
3L bladder and 32 oz nalgene cantene for mixing up flavored drink mixes. being old, fat and outta shape...i need the constant hydration from a bladder.

Knocky
05-23-2011, 20:52
While I like a good 100 oz bladder, I don't always fill and carry them. If I know water is easily available, I'll go with the Platypus roll up 1 ltr bottles, and fill the bladder if I know a long dry stretch is ahead, or I am not sure of re supply.