PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning for Virgina

Graywolf
05-19-2011, 00:25
usually I can get planning done alone, but this is such a short notice that I need some help to speed it up.

Im heading to the Potomac Flute Festival in D.C. for June 24th and 25th. Im going to head out somewhere in Virginia and head north to Harpers Ferry where I have my girlfriend picking me up the day before the festival.

I want to hike about 10 miles a day. I have about 23 days to get there, I will be taking a bus to Virginia. I need to know where to get oto the trail at.. Any ideas??

Looks like Im looking somewhere around Central Virginia..You think Pearisburg is too far or maybe Troutville??

Thanks in advance to all who ehlp me with this..

Graywolf.

Skid.
05-19-2011, 08:27
Depending on your physical shape, you may find you can do more like 12-15 miles, especially in Shenandoah Nat'l Park. That will make as much as 300 miles, taking a day off once in a while to food shop, wash clothes, etc. which would put your start around Daleville/Troutville.

d.o.c
05-19-2011, 08:54
if you do troutville i could probly help you get from bus station in roanoke to any trail head from 311 to bearwallow gap no issue could go furthur if u need..

Blissful
05-19-2011, 08:59
Agree with d.o.c and SKid, I'd start there.

Graywolf
05-19-2011, 23:46
Thanks Doc and Skid. I was looking at starting at teh james River and talked to a shuttle driver in Buena Vista. Ill chew on this a couple of days. My new problem is guide books or maps. I liek to have a guide or map basically for finding out where I am at. But I have 10 days to get it.. Anyone have any clues?? I dont like hiking blind and like to know what mountain or knob I am on, or where the next crossing is..

Thanks is advance. Doc, Ill sned you a Pm..

Graywolf

Skid.
05-20-2011, 07:46
[QUOTE=Graywolf;1162130]I dont like hiking blind and like to know what mountain or knob I am on, or where the next crossing is..
Graywolf[/QUOTE

I like Bob '501' McCaw's "Thru-Hiker's Guide", although I heard it has been combined with another guide this year, so his latest edition would be 2010. It only lists landmarks, like road crossings, power lines, shelters, water, etc (no detailed descriptions); gives elevations for those landmarks; and it has a profile of elevations at the bottom of each page, so it gives you an idea of whether you are coming to a climb (or a downhill), and how high it will be. Also in the back, there are details on specific towns, and places to get groceries, shuttles, find a motel, etc. Not nearly as detailed as the Official "AT Guide and Maps", but I just tear out the pages I will need and take them with me, along with the Official AT Map.

Blissful
05-20-2011, 08:35
Well if you start at Daleville, you can pick up maps at the outfitter there.

d.o.c
05-20-2011, 09:44
outdoor trails is a good spot for bout anythng you may need for this hike...

Graywolf
05-21-2011, 15:37
Thank you everyone. Have the guides and maps in the mail. Actually found out the outfitter in Lynchburg has them, which thats where I will be getting off the bus, but found out after I already ordered the guides. Oh well, good reading till I leave out..

Heading to Lyncheburg and getting on the Trail at the James River crossing.. have ticket in hand and ready to go.. Thanks people..
\Graywolf

d.o.c
05-21-2011, 15:42
sweet have a rockn walk. happy trails