PDA

View Full Version : Day pack or full pack up Katahdin?

Uncle Walkie
05-19-2011, 01:42
I want to listen to reason and the voice of experience.....

my tough guy instincts tell me "if you're going to hike SOBO, start with and end with your pack...up and down Katahdin"...

...but I see many posts that say use a daypack provided at the ranger station....

for you SOBO thru hike vets...what say ye?....

fiddlehead
05-19-2011, 06:02
I prefer to always have my pack with me.
It's not so heavy.
If it was, I'd take a day pack up THAT hill.
Up to you.
Just remember the weather up on top is way different than the weather at the bottom and you need some foul weather gear. (and it gets foggy up there too)

Have fun.

Migrating Bird
05-19-2011, 06:15
Leave your pack inside the office at the Ranger station a Katahdin Stream Campground. They have day packs for you to use. This is standard operating procedure. Carrying a full pack up is discouraged especially if you plan on doing the knife edge trail.

10-K
05-19-2011, 08:01
Day pack from the ranger station for sure.

Why would you want to carry a heavy pack when you could carry a lighter one? 5 miles up, 5 miles back.

Skid.
05-19-2011, 08:08
1,400 hikers start, about 350 finish. Lots of those who don't finish are 'tough guys'.

Amanita
05-19-2011, 08:09
HYOH but...

Big K will punish your body enough with a daypack. YOU are hiking the AT, not all your gear!

naturejunkie
05-19-2011, 08:44
The only thing you accomplish by hauling a full pack up Katahdin as a SOBO is to increase your chance of injury. It would suck to have your hike end before it has even started.

Uncle Walkie
05-19-2011, 08:44
"YOU are hiking the AT, not all your gear!"

simple as that statement is, it's profound..a perspective changer thanks Amanita!

max patch
05-19-2011, 09:00
I finished my thru on a day when K was closed because of snow and ice. The ranger let me and one other hiker on K with the REQUIREMENT that we carry our full packs. He said if we were to break a leg or something and needed rescue we would have to spend the nite up there before someone could help us and we would not survive without tent, sleeping bag, and our fleece. So I guess if we could hike up carrying 50 pounds in the snow and ice that anyone could do the same.

The next summer when I went up with a daypack, 2 quarts of water, a sandwich, and a rain shell it was a bit easier. :)

Blissful
05-19-2011, 09:08

my tough guy instincts tell me "if you're going to hike SOBO, start with and end with your pack...up and down Katahdin"...

No way Jose.

Its hard enough with a daypack. Or you can do like me, and carry your pack, just leave non essentials like tent, bag, pad etc in the ranger station in a big garbage bag. I still "carried" my pack up and down. had a comment on it too. The guy thought I was nuts :)

I mean if you are in Max Patch's situation, sometimes its unavoidable. But for a newbie starting out SOBO, you will totally regret carrying everything, as will your knees.

peakbagger
05-19-2011, 17:23
The Hunt trail (AT) up Katahdin requires some "gymnastics" to get up and over boulders including the infamous iron rungs in a few spots. You will be using your hands to pull yourself up some tight spots. Going down, you most likley will be butt sliding down over boulders. A full pack is going to get in the way. No matter what the weather bring enough gear to cover all your exposed skin as the weather can change substantially from top to bottom.

I have carried a full pack a couple of times over the knifes edge, but wouldnt recomend it to anyone who hasnt down it before with a day pack.

brian039
05-19-2011, 18:23
I'd rather be smart than tough.

kayak karl
05-19-2011, 20:18
got to take a full pack if you want to be a purist,,,,,,,,,,,,

10-K
05-19-2011, 21:13
I'd rather be smart than tough.

+1

Never use your back when you can use your head.

Mismatch
05-19-2011, 21:18
What about hiking poles? Do they help on Katahdin or just get in the way?

Migrating Bird
05-20-2011, 06:55
I have found that I like my poles except the short section just below the table lands. They save my knees on the decent.

tolkien
05-24-2011, 20:32
Take an external and a walking stick. You'll make it with your main pack, reasonalby. Also, look into the Kelty Yukon 4800 if you don't already have a pack.

tolkien
05-24-2011, 20:33
Take an external and a walking stick. You'll make it with your main pack, reasonalby. Also, look into the Kelty Yukon 4800 if you don't already have a pack.
Although, you should take any opportunity to make you hike easier and safer. I don't normally say this, but HYOH.

jersey joe
05-24-2011, 21:58
I took my full pack up on my northbound thru hike and don't regret it. Carried that sucker the whole way, wasn't leaving it behind.

Tinker
05-24-2011, 22:01
I did Katahdin as part of a section hike, nobo, finishing on the mountain. I had an expensive tent which I let my son use the night before. I carried the tent up the mountain with me in my 14 oz. pack. No big deal.
Do watcha wanna do. :)

Lone Wolf
05-25-2011, 04:27

...but I see many posts that say use a daypack provided at the ranger station....

full pack. day hiking katahdin is a NOBO thing. don't be like them

Uncle Walkie
05-29-2011, 22:14
Tolkien,

thanks for the external frame recommendation..I'm a big fan of externals.

matter of fact I'm gonna hike with my old ALICE pack...made a few mods, but I love it...have been told many times it's not a good idea, but I have maaannnnnyy miles with it and am satisfied.

have tried externals but wasn't pleased

Uncle Walkie
05-29-2011, 22:15
full pack. day hiking katahdin is a NOBO thing. don't be like them

Lone Wolf, roger...you a Marine?

Silverstone
05-29-2011, 23:17

Where does one find such a pack? As far as I can tell, they're not made anymore. In fact, an external frame backpack over 45 L is harder to find than a good-smelling thru hiker.

The only one I've found is that Jansport Carson model at 4900 cc.

If anyone out there knows of a larger-volume external frame model, I'm listenin'...

DrRichardCranium
05-30-2011, 07:23
I took my full pack up on my northbound thru hike and don't regret it. Carried that sucker the whole way, wasn't leaving it behind.OK, but for most of us, the AT only goes south from Katahdin. What's the point of haulling a fulll pack with sleeping bag, tent, extra clothes, cookwear and a few days food, when you're only going to wind up back at the ranger station anyway? It makes no sense.

jrwiesz
05-30-2011, 08:00
Where does one find such a pack? As far as I can tell, they're not made anymore...If anyone out there knows of a larger-volume external frame model, I'm listenin'...

Kelty still makes externals, in their current line, I do believe.

ebay has them for sale occasionally.

I have two or three of the Tioga, a couple of the Sonoma(I think it was called?).

Of course, I've seen the Sonoma go for $300+ on ebay.

The Tioga, you can get for maybe, $20. :sun

4shot
05-30-2011, 08:00

It's a good idea to seek out those with reason and who "speak with the "voice" of experience as you plan your upcoming through. I did the same thing. what you will find in posting questions about a thru-hike is that you will get varying and conflicting opinions on how to execute one. In the end, nobody but you will care what you didon day 1 of a 5-6 month hike.

what you will also find -is that if you target a specific group with your questions i.e. "SOBO thru hike vets" you will also get a bunch of responses from morons like myself who apparently are lacking in reading comprehension skills! (I did SOBO about 100 yards one time when I left my water bottle at a lunch spot somewhere in VA. - does that count?);)

Uncle Walkie
05-30-2011, 11:12
thanks 4Shot