PDA

View Full Version : Forest service road connecting to the trail between Woody Gap and Blood Mtn?

jtlee1
05-19-2011, 08:09
On google maps, it looks like a road named Dick Creek Rd, originating at Turner's Crossing, dead-ends into the AT at this section. Can anyone confirm?

bloodmountainman
05-19-2011, 08:46
This road was closed to thru traffic after Blood Mt became a wilderness area.....I don't know what year this wilderness designation occured.

jtlee1
05-19-2011, 12:22
Ah. OK, thanks for the info!

Red Hat
05-19-2011, 22:28
But there is another forest service road from 180 to Jarrard's Gap near the Lake... on the opposite side of Blood Mtn (west) instead of east side. Dick's Creek Rd is off of Hwy 9 south of Turner's Corner and follows the creek which has some nice swimming and great trout fishing, even if it does end way before Blood Mtn.

max patch
05-20-2011, 09:08
Blood Mountain wilderness was so designated in the early 1990s. Mt 1971 GATC map shows the road open all the way from Lake Winfield Scott to the Turners Corner side. I've walked the road from LWS to Jarrad Gap where it crosses the AT.

From Turners Corner you take the road to get to Blood Mountain Falls.

jtlee1
05-20-2011, 10:01
I've seen the FS road from 180...does it go all the way to Jarrard's Gap and T into the trail? Or does it stop short of the trail?

max patch
05-20-2011, 10:32
Looking at Google maps it shows the road starting at 180 and dead ending before it reaches the AT. That is not correct. The road goes all the way to Jarrard Gap and continues on the other side of the trail. I've walked the road from LWS to the AT. If you are driving it certainly looks like you could drive to where it is gated in the residential area but I've never done that. I've always parked at LWS when in the area and finish up my day with a quick swim in the lake.

It certainly looks like you could walk the road to Turners Corner if you wanted to. I haven't done that yet.

Carl in FL
05-20-2011, 12:37
Forgive me if I'm a bit dense, but it sounds like you're saying that the Forest
Service Rd to the North side (FSR 378 aka Jarrad Gap Rd) crosses the AT and
then becomes Dick Creek Rd to the south, and that there is vehicular access
to the AT from the north side, but not from the south.

I am trying to identify as many start/stop walking points as I can, in case
you are curious. I had this on my list until I read that Dick Creek Rd is
closed.

jtlee1
05-20-2011, 13:01
Carl in FL, that is precisely what I'm trying to do, as well. Planning a hike on Memorial Day weekend. Here's a copy/paste from some email correspondence I've had with the GATC Information & Education Director:

Todd,

I’ve contacted our District Leader for that section who is very familiar with the area. He indicates:
There are three points along the AT between Woody Gap and Neel Gap.
1) Miller Gap Rd – off Hwy 180 – It will dead end at the C-O NF boundary, about ½ mile from the trail – one can walk in to the trail, but it is not a blazed trail – I’ve transported people before who were lost there.
2) Happy Hollow Circle – if you drive to the end of the road, the AT is about 200 yards away. One car can park there.
3) Lake Winfield Scott rec area provides access by the Slaughter Creek trail and the Jarrard Gap trail.

My colleague was able to find Dick Creek Road on Google maps but he says:
On further examination of the FS road map, I think that Dick Creek Rd. is a figment of Google’s imagination. The FS map shows no Dick Creek Rd. MapQuest shows no such road.

Hope this helps!

jtlee1
05-20-2011, 13:03
max patch, I see that you are a local, so I assume you have been on that section, perhaps, many times? I would like to get more of your insight...

Carl in FL
05-20-2011, 13:19
max patch, I see that you are a local, so I assume you have been on that section, perhaps, many times? I would like to get more of your insight...

We're learning, probably, that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing,
courtesy of Google maps. It's great for exploring but I think I'd defer to
Max Patch for the real skinny. But - a few comments from my notes:

1) Miller Gap Rd -- I had that pegged at more like 1000 feet. If it's really
2500' or so, unblazed, that's a good way to get lost.

2) Happy Hollow Circle – looks to be equally as far, so don't trust the Google
maps to place road-ends accurately.

3) Lake Winfield Scott rec area -- Slaughter Creek trail is much longer route than the
Jarrard Gap trail.

jtlee1
05-20-2011, 13:21
And I should have included bloodmountainman in my request for more insight. Looks like he lives VERY close by...

Carl in FL
05-20-2011, 13:30
Ask your colleague about FSR 34 - that is supposed to be Dick Creek Rd, very commonly called Dick's Creek Rd.

jtlee1
05-20-2011, 13:39
I'll see what I can find out...that was the colleague of the GATC Info and Ed Director. I'm not actually sure who it was. ;-)

max patch
05-20-2011, 15:09
and that there is vehicular access
to the AT from the north side, but not from the south.

The road used to go from Turners Corner, cross the AT, and go to 180. Blood Mountain Man said that the road was gated when they designated the Blood Mountain Wilderness. There is a gate on the Turners Corner side and a gate on the 180 side just past LWS. On the 180 side the road is gated, I'm guessing, about a mile from the AT. I haven't hiked from the Turners Corner side so I don't know how close it gets to the AT.

jbell615
05-20-2011, 15:11
Are there any no camp zones as of recent on AT in GA from Woody Gap and North?

max patch
05-20-2011, 15:12
And I should have included bloodmountainman in my request for more insight. Looks like he lives VERY close by...

He knows more about the area than I do. I only know about the sections that I've hiked. I'm a couple hours away so I'm not a "local".

max patch
05-20-2011, 15:13
Are there any no camp zones as of recent on AT in GA from Woody Gap and North?

The camping ban in the area was lifted a few days ago.

jtlee1
05-20-2011, 15:22
Thanks max patch. That clarifies things!

jtlee1
05-20-2011, 15:33
yeah, i saw where Sky Valley was located. I guess Local compared to me!

max patch
05-20-2011, 15:41
3) Lake Winfield Scott rec area provides access by the Slaughter Creek trail and the Jarrard Gap trail.

One of our favorite day hikes is to park at LWS and take the Jarrard Gap Trail to the AT, head NOBO on the AT to the Slaughter Creek Trail (stopping for lunch at Woods Hole Shelter) and then take the Slaughter Creek Trail back to LWS. At LWS take a swim at the lake (nice sandy beach) and then head home.