PDA

View Full Version : LL bean Ultralite 30 degree long bag

blackwater slim
05-19-2011, 13:48
What about this bag with Primaloft...and for colder temps maybe paired with a sea to summit thermalite liner (25 degree)? Would cost around $250 combined but would have some versatility...How is the bag with all around issues...temp, fit, cost? What about the line as well? Can't find a lot of info other than ll bean site on the bag...Want to hear from you!!!
Thanks

kanga
05-19-2011, 14:41
good weight and good price. i have not tried this bag but i have had an ll bean 0* synthetic bag that i have used for 20 years. i don't know about their quality of bags these days but my bag has taken some hard core use and rough treatment and is still in incredible condition. as for temp rating, it held it's zero for probably 10 years. i'd say it's around a 25 now. also, ll bean really stands behind their gear. i used one of their solo tents for 12 years and when one of the poles finally snapped (completely my fault) and i called them to see if i could buy another one, even though they didn't make my tent anymore and hadn't for years, they found me a replacement pole, and not only did they give me the pole for free and didn't charge shipping, they sent me the whole set of three.

blackwater slim
05-19-2011, 21:20
I guess I'm asking about two different things, but mostly the bag. Is this 30 degree bag a true 3 season bag? What would the EN rating be on it? i couldn't find that either. I like the weight listed and the packable size but does that mean its really a summer bag that they are just saying its good down to 30 degrees? ...and with the sea to summit liner..will it really help 25 degrees or even 15 degrees? And will it be loose for comfort or will it make the combination like a straight jacket?

WhoDey
05-19-2011, 21:52
I am not so sure about this bag. I doubt that you would be comfortable in it at 30 degrees. The 2 reviews on the site don't even mention what temperatures they used it in. The reason you can't find the EN rating is probably because they do not have their bags tested. In regards to the liner, not a chance it adds 25 degrees. It may add about 5-10 or so degrees at the most. I would spend a little more money and get a quality down bag if you aren't set on synthetic. You may want to keep your eyes on the For Sale section in case something pops up.

blackwater slim
01-16-2012, 11:13
Well I got the LLbean bag, and a sea to summit silk liner. With some warm clothing to add in, (I'm a cold sleeper), I have been warm down to 24 degrees. It packs small and weighs about 2lb 2 oz in the long version. It has been a good purchase so far.

jmcglash
05-03-2012, 10:51
Do you have any idea if the bag would fit someone 6'4" and about 250lbs? The shoulder girth I'm looking for is about 54".

Thanks

Whack-a-mole
05-03-2012, 12:02
I am 6-3 260, and my LLBean down bag is VERY snug. It does a great job of keeping me warm, and it's like climbing into a cloud, but it it hard to get zipped up for us bigger guys. I don't know the dimensions though, so I know I'm giving you vague info. I've had it about 10 years. It fit perfectly when I bought it, but it got stored under the bed for a while...I'm sure it shrunk while it was under there...never store your bag under your bed...:-)

jmcglash
05-03-2012, 12:26
I hear you! That is why I hang my bags when not in use. :) The girth thing I death with by going from 285 to 250 now if I can get to 220 I can avoid several of my bag selection issues I am currently dealing with.

blackwater slim
05-03-2012, 12:38
I hear you! That is why I hang my bags when not in use. :) The girth thing I death with by going from 285 to 250 now if I can get to 220 I can avoid several of my bag selection issues I am currently dealing with.

I think it would be to tight...I'm 200 lbs at 6'5" and its at the smallest I think I could stand...but I squirm and move a lot

jmcglash
05-03-2012, 13:00
I think it would be to tight...I'm 200 lbs at 6'5" and its at the smallest I think I could stand...but I squirm and move a lot

Thanks. I may need to look at the Katahdin at 37 1/2" width vs 34" for the Ultralight.

The search continues. I really do not want to take my 5 1/2 lb bag to Philmont!

Whack-a-mole
05-03-2012, 22:21
I just picked up a Western Mtn Caribou. It has a 65" chest girth. It's about the biggest I've seen. It was a little expensive, but it seems to be a nice bag at only 1lb 9oz. Now I have a sweet LLBean 15 degree bag for winter and the WM for when it's a little warmer. Taking a trip to Unicoi gap in three weeks to give it a try.

jmcglash
05-04-2012, 00:12
That looks like a great bag but a little expensive? Dang I think a Caribou will have to wait at little while longer to sit in my pack. I fear light costs and I will not be trading pounds for dollars at that level.
I had head of Western Mountaineering but the Caribou is a very nice bag and will stay near the top of my wish list for the time being.

Thank you for the pointer.

skinewmexico
05-04-2012, 20:06
WM is the gold standard of sleeping bags.

blackwater slim
08-05-2012, 19:58
I found a Stoic (Backcountry.com in-house brand) down, top zip, 800 or 850 fill 15 degree bag on backcountry.com for undr 200 bucks...waiting for COLD weather to try it out but for the price seems like a deal...must have been clearance, as I havent seen them on there anymore, and the Stoic website hasn't been updated since spring 2011...out of curiosity I called and asked and the person said they are still in business etc. Anywy the Stoic seems like a great deal and seems like quality...if true it sure beats paying close to 500 bucks for similar bags... at this point I think I got a steal...one frozen night on the trail and I might feel differently. Time will tell.