PDA

View Full Version : where theyat?

hikemikehike
05-19-2011, 18:09
where are most of the thru hikers this time of year? im going out on a section hike on monday and im wondering if we will be alone right there. im going from reeds gap to the james river.

hikemikehike
05-19-2011, 18:09
in virginia

Pedaling Fool
05-19-2011, 18:28
You'll see them.

Blissful
05-19-2011, 19:29
Plenty through there now. Put some Snickers in your pockets, they'll love it. :)

Amanita
05-19-2011, 20:01
Just remember, do not feed the wildlife! Fed hikers learn to associate humans with food. A fed thru is a dead thru.

4shot
05-20-2011, 08:00
You'll see them.

you'll most likely smell them before you see 'em. If you always hike with the wind into your face you have no danger of sneaking up on them unawares. If you do get between one of them and their food bag, it can be dangerous. avoid eye contact and slowly back out of the area. show them that you are no threat to their ramen and pasta and you will be safe.another safety tip" for you: wear some deodorant and after shave. Thru hikers can smell them for several hundred yards so you'll not be able to scare one unexpectedly. Good luck, I hope these safety tips help!;)

birchy
05-20-2011, 08:24
I have a hostel just south of the AT mid-point and "peanut" thru hiker #104 was here last night with handstand

OldFeet
05-20-2011, 11:19
Plenty through there now. Put some Snickers in your pockets, they'll love it. :)

I usually carry some fruit too in case l encounter a thru hiker. They'll even sit up and beg it it's offered properly. Also if they appear threatening you can toss it in the woods and they'll chase after it so you can escape.

DripDry
05-20-2011, 11:28
I hiked South from Reeds Gap last weekend and saw 6 or so- you should be in the middle of the "bubble" there when you go.

ShelterLeopard
05-20-2011, 12:13
Just remember, do not feed the wildlife! Fed hikers learn to associate humans with food. A fed thru is a dead thru.

"Honey, here- give this snickers to the nice hiker. Nice 'n slow, keep your hand flat, or he might bite it accidentally. Don't worry, he's more afraid of you than you are of him."

sarman
06-01-2011, 18:52
Had two dozen stop by Loft Mtn campground this past weekend for trail magic. Nobody had to be tranquilized and relocated to the deep woods after being fed.