PDA

View Full Version : Roam Highlands

Grampsb
05-20-2011, 03:48
Planning on taking my grandson on a 2 backpacking trip in the Roan Highlands. What would be a good starting and end point. We would have 2 cards.

Thinking of starting at Roan Mountain and go from there.

Thanks

Egads
05-20-2011, 05:46
How old is the grandson? Consider base camping if very young

Grampsb
05-20-2011, 08:14
He is 19 almost 20

Tennessee Viking
05-20-2011, 08:18
Iron Mtn Gap to 19E or Hughes Gap to 19E

Carvers Gap to Dennis Cove

bus
05-22-2011, 14:20
Ditto on the Hughes to 19E. Or if ya take it slow, do Carvers Gap to 19E, make sure you do the Grassy Ridge blue blaze and at least stop by the Barn.

One thing to consider if you are doing this in the summer is to be sure to be up and over the Humps before the afternoon lighting storms set in.

We left the Barn to late last time and stopped for too many pictures and just got to the woods north of Big Hump before the bolts started.

I love this area. Water was plentiful last June. Weather was a mix of early fog/rain then clear then lightning.

If you end at 19E park at Mountain Harbour Hostel. Safer and they are nice folks.

Have fun!!!

Tenderheart
05-22-2011, 14:53
Planning on taking my grandson on a 2 backpacking trip in the Roan Highlands. What would be a good starting and end point. We would have 2 cards.

Thinking of starting at Roan Mountain and go from there.

Thanks

Definitely Carvers's Gap to US 19E. This is 15 miles of some of the most scenic areas of the trail. Be sure and stay at the Overmountain Shelter. This is where the Overmountain Trail comes through from East Tennessee and NC. The settlers followed this trail to King's Mountain, NC to defeat the British in the turning point engagement of the Revolutionary War. Long-horned steers were grazing on Little Hump and Big Hump when I went thru in 2000.

Tenderheart
05-22-2011, 14:57
George Washington once said that if he ever had to make a last stand, he wanted to stand with the Overmountain men because they knew how to shoot and fight.