PDA

View Full Version : Baxter opens for camping, Katahdin still closed 5/20

TJ aka Teej
05-20-2011, 07:22
"Road conditions will allow the opening of Abol, Katahdin Stream, Daicey Pond, Kidney Pond, Russell Pond and South Branch Pond Campgrounds on Friday, May 20. Roaring Brook Campground will open to camping on Sunday, May 22. The Park Tote Road will be open from Togue Pond Gate to Foster Field and from Matagamon Gate to South Branch Pond. The Roaring Brook Road will open on Sunday, May 22. Chimney Pond, Roaring Brook, Trout Brook Farm and Nesowadnehunk Field Campgrounds remain closed. All trails above treeline remain closed. Check this site for daily updates and campground and trail openings as conditions improve."

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

Jaybird
05-20-2011, 07:34
"Road conditions will allow the opening of Abol, Katahdin Stream, Daicey Pond, Kidney Pond, Russell Pond and South Branch Pond Campgrounds on Friday, May 20. Roaring Brook Campground will open to camping on Sunday, May 22. The Park Tote Road will be open from Togue Pond Gate to Foster Field and from Matagamon Gate to South Branch Pond. The Roaring Brook Road will open on Sunday, May 22. Chimney Pond, Roaring Brook, Trout Brook Farm and Nesowadnehunk Field Campgrounds remain closed. All trails above treeline remain closed. Check this site for daily updates and campground and trail openings as conditions improve."url]http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/[/url]

Hope to get there in abt 5 years (as i continue my section hiking on my "20-year-plan")

hiking DWG NoBo to Kent,CT
w/ "Piece O' Work"
May 28-June 12

Blissful
05-20-2011, 20:59
When do they think the trails will be passable? Like how much snow is up there? I was just curious.

TJ aka Teej
05-20-2011, 22:56
When do they think the trails will be passable? Like how much snow is up there? I was just curious.

MATC is up on the Hunt Trail doing work, it won't open til they're done. There's still plenty of snow on the tableland and at Chimney Pond. I'll be up there Sunday > Wednesday, hope to learn more. We need clouds. Clouds eat snow.

bobqzzi
05-20-2011, 23:29
. We need clouds. Clouds eat snow.

Could you please explain?