PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap

handballdon
05-20-2011, 13:47
After viewing a photo of the AT; I began to hunger for getting back to a section hike. The photo shows a sign that starts with "Sweat Heifer Creek Trail 1.7". I wound enjoy finding the live scene from the above mentioned photo.

The AT maps shows that Newfound Gap crosses Hwy US 441 near this location. I would appreciate any help with that area. I plan a short section hike covering three days and two nights. My main concern is: is there safe parking if I should drive to the gap? :-?

Thanking you in advance for any response to this, my first thread!

schmuttis
05-23-2011, 08:07
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=10%20&sectionID=82

mile 29.6 - no safety rating as of yet. If you take the hike, how about giving it a safety rating?

bigcranky
05-23-2011, 10:02
You could hike the entire north end of the AT in the Smokies in 3 days. Park at the ranger station at Big Creek and get a shuttle to Newfound Gap early the morning of day 1, then hike to your car. Safe parking, and you get to start at the top and hike (mostly) downhill. Beautiful hike.

Note that you will need to make shelter reservations 30 days in advance of your hike.

patrick8654
06-18-2011, 19:20
Big Cranky,
Do you have any suggestions for shuttles from that area? I am looking to go from Newfound Gap to Max Patch and I'm trying to find a shuttle.

Mountain Pig
06-18-2011, 21:48
Curtis at Standing Bear has shuttles. You can also park at his place for 2$ a day.

bigcranky
06-19-2011, 09:15
+1 on Standing Bear Farm. Also, the outfitter in Hot Springs does shuttles. But I like Curtis and have had several fun rides from him.