PDA

View Full Version : Help Stop Closing of Glencliff, NH Post Office

Grandsir
05-20-2011, 14:47
Thru-Hikers, Section-Hikers, Trail Angels and Friends

We need your help.

The Postal Service has announced their intention to
CLOSE THE GLENCLIFF, NH POST OFFICE.

A group has been formed to stop this closure.

As all of you know the Glencliff Post Office is a vital resupply/mail drop facility for thru-hikers and section-hikers on the AT.

Please help us oppose the close.

Please sign and send the attached petition

Attached you will find a petition and below the email addresses for the three postal officials who will decide on the closure.

James J. McCartney USPS [email protected]

Leigh A. ST Pierre - Tribuno USPS [email protected]

Deborah C. Essler USPS [email protected]

STEPS:
Download the attached petition.
Print the downloaded petition.
Fill-in the the printed petition.
Please add your personal comments in clear inoffensive language.
Sign the petition in the appropriate section.

Either SCAN and send the petition ( as an attachment to an email ) to each of the above post office officials

OR ( if you have no scanner )
MAIL the copies of the filled-in petition separately to the above officials at the following address:

The appropriate recipient's name from above FOLLOWED BY
151 Forest Avenue
Portland, ME

Please consider calling James J. McCartney USPS @ (207) 482-7168

If any of you live within a reasonable driving distance of Glencliff, NH we urge you to attend the Postal Service organized meeting to be held at the Warren, NH Town Hall at 7PM on Tuesday 24 May, 2011.

Please forward this email to anyone who you think can help.

Please post this information on any appropriate BLOG or FORUM you belong to.

Thank you in advance.

--
Grandsir
[email protected]

10-K
05-20-2011, 14:54
Good luck, but if it's slated to be closed I doubt a petition is going to affect the outcome - especially at a PO that small.

It really is a bummer since the PO is right across the street from the hostel.

But, it's easy enough to get a ride into town.

Cookerhiker
05-20-2011, 15:11
Does the hostel accept mail drops?

Sly
05-20-2011, 15:26
Does the hostel accept mail drops?

The Companion has the Hostel address as a PO box

P.O. Box 25, 1396 N.H. Route 25

However, they accept FedEx and UPS to

Hikers Welcome Hostel
1396 Rt.25NH
Glencliff, N.H. 03238

I also noticed a mistake in the Companion for the hostels url. It should read www.hikerswelcome.com

Lauriep
05-20-2011, 15:56
Many WhiteBlazers know that the Glencliff, NH is one of the most important post offices on the A.T. It is the middle of a long stretch with very few services, and even fewer opportunities to resupply. It's also *the* recommended location for northbound thru-hikers to send winter gear since it's right before the first mountain above treeline, where hikers suddenly encounter dramatically harsher weather and colder temperatures.

ATC is taking this proposed closure seriously and is voicing our support of retaining the PO in Glencliff by sending a letter to Postal Service officials and sending a representative to the public meeting in Warren, NH (May 24 at 6:00pm.).

Please help us take steps the support the continued operation of this vital post office by following the requested actions above.

The petition is attached.

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Grandsir
05-20-2011, 17:02
TIME CORRECTION

The meeting on the 24th starts at 6PM

NOT 7PM

Grandsir
05-20-2011, 17:18
Meeting Time Corrected

Start Time is 6PM

Not 7PM

Thru-Hikers, Section-Hikers, Trail Angels and Friends

We need your help.

The Postal Service has announced their intention to
CLOSE THE GLENCLIFF, NH POST OFFICE.

A group has been formed to stop this closure.

As all of you know the Glencliff Post Office is a vital resupply/mail drop facility for thru-hikers and section-hikers on the AT.

Please help us oppose the close.

Please sign and send the attached petition

Attached you will find a petition and below the email addresses for the three postal officials who will decide on the closure.

James J. McCartney USPS [email protected]

Leigh A. ST Pierre - Tribuno USPS [email protected]

Deborah C. Essler USPS [email protected]

STEPS:
Download the attached petition.
Print the downloaded petition.
Fill-in the the printed petition.
Please add your personal comments in clear inoffensive language.
Sign the petition in the appropriate section.

Either SCAN and send the petition ( as an attachment to an email ) to each of the above post office officials

OR ( if you have no scanner )
MAIL the copies of the filled-in petition separately to the above officials at the following address:

The appropriate recipient's name from above FOLLOWED BY
151 Forest Avenue
Portland, ME

Please consider calling James J. McCartney USPS @ (207) 482-7168

If any of you live within a reasonable driving distance of Glencliff, NH we urge you to attend the Postal Service organized meeting to be held at the Warren, NH Town Hall at 6PM on Tuesday 24 May, 2011.

Please forward this email to anyone who you think can help.

Please post this information on any appropriate BLOG or FORUM you belong to.

Thank you in advance.

--
Grandsir
[email protected]

Toolshed
05-20-2011, 17:30
I have a hard time trying to understand the rationale behind the expense of keeping this open for a few hundred hikers a year -Especially if the hostel will hold your packages.

Jeff
05-20-2011, 17:32
I have a hard time trying to understand the rationale behind the expense of keeping this open for a few hundred hikers a year -Especially if the hostel will hold your packages.

+1 Right on the mark !!

Frogdown
05-20-2011, 18:23
It will close. Your government does not care about you. Get over it.

Blissful
05-20-2011, 18:31
I was concerned when I went through there last summer it could close. Esp as the USPS is losing money every year and are already seeking to hault Sat deliveries. Hope they can retain it.

Rain Man
05-20-2011, 18:43
Please help us take steps the support the continued operation of this vital post office by following the requested actions above.

Done. Petition signed and sent to all three of those reps.

Rain Man

WingedMonkey
05-20-2011, 18:54

Hostels come and go.

Razor
05-20-2011, 22:14
And post offices should come and go!

Toolshed
05-20-2011, 23:46
Hostels come and go.
SO does the mail.. but much less of it now.:-?

CrumbSnatcher
05-21-2011, 00:09
is the pay phone still there?

Spokes
05-21-2011, 06:24

ATC is taking this proposed closure seriously and is voicing our support of retaining the PO in Glencliff by sending a letter to Postal Service officials and sending a representative to the public meeting in Warren, NH (May 24 at 6:00pm.).

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Has this effort been broadcast across the ATC's social media sites like Twitter and Facebook?

earlyriser26
05-21-2011, 06:45
The post office is in the RED big time. Not only will small office like this one be closed, goodbye Saturday delivery soon. This is just the start. I'm sure everybody wants the small close to them to stay open, but this is rather selfish. They have got to go. BTW my brother is a postal worker and the pay is over the top. That has to go too.

Spokes
05-21-2011, 11:25
The post office is in the RED big time. Not only will small office like this one be closed, goodbye Saturday delivery soon. ..........

Even more reasons to put rural post offices in the side room of someones house like Glencliff is.

10-K
05-21-2011, 13:19
Even more reasons to put rural post offices in the side room of someones house like Glencliff is.

That way you can watch Criminal Minds while you're sorting mail.

p.s. Your avatar isn't up to your usual standards....

Spokes
05-21-2011, 13:23
heheheheheeee.......... It's been slim pickin's lately.

jersey joe
05-21-2011, 13:51
Many WhiteBlazers know that the Glencliff, NH is one of the most important post offices on the A.T. It is the middle of a long stretch with very few services, and even fewer opportunities to resupply.
I used mail drops on my thru hike and didn't even use the Glencliff PO. I found Hanover and Gorham adequate. I will concede that I went 8 days between resupply which is a bit high and was putting in higher than average mileage.

DLANOIE
05-21-2011, 13:58
Meh, every good thing must come to an end!

Jim Adams
05-21-2011, 14:03
why am I not able to send to these emails? I have tried several different ways and none are accepted.

geek

Lone Wolf
05-21-2011, 23:03

+1 Right on the mark !!

agree. no biggie the PO closing

The Solemates
05-23-2011, 13:31
agree. no biggie the PO closing

agree. especially since as a taxpayer I'm paying to keep a dying PO open

Jeff
05-23-2011, 13:42
Hikers can pick up warm weather gear in Hanover...it's just three extra days of hiking with a heavier pack.

Gramps
05-23-2011, 23:58
OK, let me put a few things straight here. First, I am one of the aformentioned postal workers. Have been since 1987. I will be the first to admit we are well-paid, no argument here. However, not one of your tax dollars goes to pay for anything related to my job, not overhead, pay, benefits, nothing. It's been that way since the early 1970s. The only thing we have ever gotten from Uncle Sam since then is reimbursement for free matter for the blind, and that stopped some years ago. There are several reasons for us operating in the red. Primary among them is the mandate put on us in 2006 by Congress to pre-pay for future retiree's health benefits. But they want us to pay for 75 years worth in 10 years. Think of it this way- your homeowner's insurance is $1000 a year. Your insurance company wants you to pay it for the next 75 years, $75,000. But you have to pay it in the next 10 years. For us, that's $5.5 billion a year, on top of paying current health benefits of around $1.2 billion. On top of that, we have overpaid into the old civil service retirement system some $50-$75 billion and the current system some $6.5 billion, both due to outdated accounting practices. We are asking Congress to reimburse this money to us a little at the time to pay the pre-funding requirement. And this isn't a bailout either. Stopping Saturday delivery will only make the problem worse because once that's gone, it's gone forever. Someone else will fill that void. That would begin the death spiral of the post office. And remember also, some 35 million folks do not have a computer in their home least you think people will just use that to pay bills, communicate, etc.

earlyriser26
05-24-2011, 00:32
OK, let me put a few things straight here. First, I am one of the aformentioned postal workers. Have been since 1987. I will be the first to admit we are well-paid, no argument here. However, not one of your tax dollars goes to pay for anything related to my job, not overhead, pay, benefits, nothing. It's been that way since the early 1970s. The only thing we have ever gotten from Uncle Sam since then is reimbursement for free matter for the blind, and that stopped some years ago. There are several reasons for us operating in the red. Primary among them is the mandate put on us in 2006 by Congress to pre-pay for future retiree's health benefits. But they want us to pay for 75 years worth in 10 years. Think of it this way- your homeowner's insurance is $1000 a year. Your insurance company wants you to pay it for the next 75 years, $75,000. But you have to pay it in the next 10 years. For us, that's $5.5 billion a year, on top of paying current health benefits of around $1.2 billion. On top of that, we have overpaid into the old civil service retirement system some $50-$75 billion and the current system some $6.5 billion, both due to outdated accounting practices. We are asking Congress to reimburse this money to us a little at the time to pay the pre-funding requirement. And this isn't a bailout either. Stopping Saturday delivery will only make the problem worse because once that's gone, it's gone forever. Someone else will fill that void. That would begin the death spiral of the post office. And remember also, some 35 million folks do not have a computer in their home least you think people will just use that to pay bills, communicate, etc.
Sorry, but we just can't aford to keep offices like this open. My younger brother retired last year as a postal worker at age 50, his retirement is very generous. I am also a public employee and while my salary is nothing special, my retirement plan is also crazy generous. i will retire this year at 55. NICE for me, bad for tax payers.

emerald
05-24-2011, 01:00
The world will not come to an end should Glencliff's post office close. A.T. hikers can manage without the services it provides.

chomp
05-24-2011, 14:07
Warren is a short hitch away. This is a very small issue.

Pedaling Fool
05-24-2011, 14:18
I used mail drops on my thru hike and didn't even use the Glencliff PO. I found Hanover and Gorham adequate. I will concede that I went 8 days between resupply which is a bit high and was putting in higher than average mileage.
I don't see any petition drive helping in this case. The USPS is in dire dire straits -- financially.

Pedaling Fool
05-24-2011, 14:19
I don't see any petition drive helping in this case. The USPS is in dire dire straits -- financially.
Sorry, don't know how I quoted jersy joe's post -- didn't intend to.

Sierra Echo
05-24-2011, 16:57
I seriously doubt a petition is going to change the POs mind.

Lone Wolf
05-24-2011, 16:59
I seriously doubt a petition is going to change the POs mind.

especially an online petition. they're useless

Gramps
05-24-2011, 20:53
Sorry, but we just can't aford to keep offices like this open. My younger brother retired last year as a postal worker at age 50, his retirement is very generous. I am also a public employee and while my salary is nothing special, my retirement plan is also crazy generous. i will retire this year at 55. NICE for me, bad for tax payers.

Just curious if you don't mind, but how did your brother retire at age 50? Civil service retirement is age 55 with 30 years, FERS is 55-57 with 30 years. I will be going in about 2 1/2 years, age 60 with 30 years, and the annuity part from USPS while OK will not allow me to retire by itself. Most of my retirement will come from my TSP and the rest from SS. I didn't mean to come across as being defensive, but the bashing of public employees has gotten old real fast, especially when stated facts are full of misinformation. OK, I'll get off my soapbox. (BTW, I'm still trying to locate this infamous busdriver in WI who makes over $100,000 a year!):p

Sierra Echo
05-24-2011, 21:00
PO is now offering early retirement. In fact they are paying people with 25 yrs in to retire.

10-K
05-24-2011, 21:26
Just curious if you don't mind, but how did your brother retire at age 50? Civil service retirement is age 55 with 30 years, FERS is 55-57 with 30 years. I will be going in about 2 1/2 years, age 60 with 30 years, and the annuity part from USPS while OK will not allow me to retire by itself. Most of my retirement will come from my TSP and the rest from SS. I didn't mean to come across as being defensive, but the bashing of public employees has gotten old real fast, especially when stated facts are full of misinformation. OK, I'll get off my soapbox. (BTW, I'm still trying to locate this infamous busdriver in WI who makes over $100,000 a year!):p

I would eat worms to get access to the TSP... especially with a match.

earlyriser26
05-24-2011, 21:27
PO is now offering early retirement. In fact they are paying people with 25 yrs in to retire.
Yep. My brother took the early retirement package with 25 years. Lots of public employees can retire after 30 years at any age. Lots of teachers retire before 55. Police and Fire have it even better. Often in the 40's. Me, I am 55 with over 30 years in. Nice perk, but very expensive for the taxpayer. Thats what happens when you use OPM (other peoples money)

10-K
05-24-2011, 21:30
Yep. My brother took the early retirement package with 25 years. Lots of public employees can retire after 30 years at any age. Lots of teachers retire before 55. Police and Fire have it even better. Often in the 40's. Me, I am 55 with over 30 years in. Nice perk, but very expensive for the taxpayer. Thats what happens when you use OPM (other peoples money)

Your retirement pay isn't what's killing us.. It's your health insurance...

Tinker
05-24-2011, 21:33
It will close. Your government does not care about you. Get over it.

(Matthewski with punctuation :D).

I was ready to check my schedule and make a special trip up there to attend the meeting (which, unfortunately, is probably wrapping up as I type this).

nhres
05-25-2011, 19:42
Glencliff has nothing, Warren 4.7 miles away has PO and a store, restraunts which the hikers usually thumb too anyway. The Glencliff PO has 75 boxes with approx 1/2 being used by residents, if that. If they were to close it, the residents would get mail by home delivery, which I don't know about you but I would like that, the rest of the world gets it, I don't need or care to be going out everyday in the cold and snow to pick up my mail, and what about the elderly residents in the area that don't drive and it's too far for them to walk there. This PO is for the residents mostly not about hikers and it's selfous of them to fight to keep it open for what, they pickup a package once or twice a year. You hike hundreds of miles, what 4.7 more to Warren. If it closes, the area will be taken over by the Warren PO and they will deliver to the Hikers Welcome. It will only add 4.1 miles total to the Warren rural carriers route but another section she does for another town will be taken away so she wouldn't be adding more to her route. Glencliff only has 1 employee which is being borrowed from another office since the Glencliff Post Master retired so she wouldn't lose her job, she would go back to the office she was in before.
Maybe the hikers ask the Hikers Welcome to get some supplies . Do most of you know that if you print and pay for your packages online you save a few dollars. UPS and Fedex deliver and can pickup from the hikers welcome and if the Warren po takes this area over they will to, provide pickup and delivery service. I don't know about most of you unless your rich, but if they close all these little non needed po's,maybe the price of a stamp or price to mail a package will stop increasing so much. Every penny does count