PDA

View Full Version : Caldera Cone Storage

slugger
05-20-2011, 16:21
I just got a Caldera Cone for my upcomeing thru. Whats the best way to keep it in your pack so it doesn't get bent up or rip anything? I don't really like the case it came in as it's a bit heavy.

DBCFlash
05-20-2011, 16:27
I made my own and I roll it up and keep it in a Pringles can.

DripDry
05-20-2011, 16:30
I took the case last year and made a reflectix coozie for both halves. One side I used for a cup and the other a bowl to rehydrate my FBC meals. If you don't like it, I have seem people wrap it around a fuel bottle, etc. with a piece of shock cord.

10-K
05-20-2011, 16:35
I cut the top off a 20 oz coke bottle and roll it up and put it in there and keep it on the outside of my pack.

Caldera Cone stays safe and if I stop to drink some water I just take the CC out of the coke bottle and there's my cup.

Monkeywrench
05-21-2011, 10:46
I just got a Caldera Cone for my upcomeing thru. Whats the best way to keep it in your pack so it doesn't get bent up or rip anything? I don't really like the case it came in as it's a bit heavy.

I bought the plastic container for my Caldera Cone. It holds the cone, the stove, my spoon, matches and lighter. The lid holds 2 cups so makes a perfect measuring cup for cooking the ubiquitous Lipton sides for dinner. I also use the lid for cold cereal or oatmeal in the morning, as well as the occasional Instant Breakfast I force myself to choke down now and again.

I've been using the same stove and Caldera Cone for three years now, including my 6-month thru-hike, with no appreciable damage.

QiWiz
05-21-2011, 11:30
I cut the top off a 20 oz coke bottle and roll it up and put it in there and keep it on the outside of my pack.

Caldera Cone stays safe and if I stop to drink some water I just take the CC out of the coke bottle and there's my cup.

I have done the same, with the addition of a homemade caddy lid (made out of duct tape) that velcros onto the plastic bottle, so I can keep my spoon, lighter, and either an alcohol bottle or up to six Esbit cubes inside the cone without worrying about losing them.