PDA

View Full Version : Pack Help

hookshot
01-28-2005, 20:49
O.K., heading out to REI tomorrow to take a first look at thru-hike packs, need some help. I know this has been covered extensively on other threads, but I can't seem to find the information I need. I'm 6'1" 165# trying to pack weight <3# with a total weight <30#.

First, what minimum total volume should I look for. I know this measurement
is far from exact.

Second, I'm a little worried about the durability and lack of external pockets on
some ultralight packs like the Vapor Trail.

Third, I'd like to find something <$150 preferrably <$100.

Any hints would be appreciated.

chris
01-28-2005, 21:24
Unless you are planning to use lightweight or ultralight gear, don't buy an ultralight pack. Look for something in the 4000 ci range, which is plenty big for the AT. If you don't have much gear yet, do consider trying to lighten your load as much as possible. Many people here will be glad to help you do this. If you decide to try to go light, I don't know of any better pack than the ULA P1. For $125, you get 4200 ci of total storage space. Mine thrived during a traverse of the Canadian Rockies and I am not worried about durability. I have a review of it on this site, called something like ULA P1-x.

hookshot
01-28-2005, 21:43
I am looking to go as light as possible 30# total weight is just a conservative estimate. I want to go ahead and get a pack that will hold at least that. I am leaving mid-May and will hike until late August or early September, have to get back for grad. school. The other items I am considering but have not purchased are...

Shelter: Tarptent Squall w/ footprint 2lb. 1 oz. ($230)
Bag: Kelty Lightyear Long 30* 2lb. 5oz. ($74.95)
Pad: Pack-Lite Closed Celll Foam Pad ($8.99)

If I can get a sub 3lb. pack that would put my base weight <7lb. 14oz.

chris
01-30-2005, 17:01
I am looking to go as light as possible 30# total weight is just a conservative estimate. I want to go ahead and get a pack that will hold at least that. I am leaving mid-May and will hike until late August or early September, have to get back for grad. school. The other items I am considering but have not purchased are...

Shelter: Tarptent Squall w/ footprint 2lb. 1 oz. ($230)
Bag: Kelty Lightyear Long 30* 2lb. 5oz. ($74.95)
Pad: Pack-Lite Closed Celll Foam Pad ($8.99)

If I can get a sub 3lb. pack that would put my base weight <7lb. 14oz.

I would seriously consider, then, the ULA P1 or P2. Note that base weight usually refers to the weight of everything on your back, minus food, water, and fuel. If your baseweight really is under 8 lbs, then any pack will be fine. The P1 can handle 30 lbs of total weight without issue, and the P2 would provide a little more insurance.

Peaks
01-30-2005, 17:28
The way to buy a back pack is to buy all your other gear first. Then, take it all to an outfitter, along with water and fuel, and food. Then, load up and try on different packs.

Kerosene
02-01-2005, 14:47
I'd check out the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.shtml), which comes in at 3,600 cubic inches, is supposed to accommodate 30 pounds, weighs in at 2 pounds, and costs $150. If you want to be able to carry a little more weight, then consider the Nimbus Ozone (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.shtml) (3,800 cubes; 35-40 lbs; 3 lbs; $200).