PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to GA/NC border in 4 days

STICK
05-20-2011, 23:35
I am planning to take 4 days (heading home on the 5th morning, but if needed I may can squeeze leaving no later than noon on the 5th day) for my birthday in June. This will be my first solo and I am needing a little help planning.

I have hiked from Amicalola to Neels Gap and now I wanted to pick up at Neels Gap and finish GA. My wife will drop me at Neels Gap but I need to figure out the best place for her to pick me back up. That would be the easiest for her to get too...with a GPS hopefully...

I am trying to figure out if I should hike into NC and meet her, or hit the line and then backtrack a little. Here is what I am considering, but looking for input.

Day 1: Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter (10.8 miles)
Day 2: Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mtn Shelter (15 miles)
Day 3: Tray Mtn Shelter to Plumorchard Gap Shelter (15.5 miles)
Day 4: Plumorchard Gap Shelter to GA/NC Border, then back to a campsite marked in the 2009 companion guide at mile 68.6 from Springer. (12.2 miles)
Day 5: From the campsite back to US 76 to be picked back up. (0.9 miles)

So, I am looking at her picking me up at US 76 because it looks to be the easiest access for her to get to me by, but am I missing something on the other side of the border? My goal here is for here to easily find me. I don't want her to try driving down all these FS roads...

How about these shelters? Are they worth staying at? I thought about staying at Cheese Factory site the 2nd night, but would rather try to get a little farther to even out these 2 days as far as overall miles are concerned. Also, I have thought about just meeting her at US 76 on the 4th night rather than staying at the campsite. It is not much farther so the distance wouldn't be a problem. Also, then I could go into Hiawasee and stay in a hotel and get cleaned up and eat real food...any suggestions for staying in Hiawassee?

I plan to get up earl and hit the trail, and hike as late as I need too. However, with the days as long as they are, I am thinking that while it may still be rough, I should have enough daylight hours to achieve the above itinerary...anything I should know about in this section...?

For this trip, I am planning my base weight to be around 11 - 12 pounds, and will carry all of my food from the get go. However, I am still planning on starting with a 27 - 28 pound pack at most, so not really too heavy.

As far as shelters, I will most likely be carrying my tarp, or possibly a Lunar Duo (the Skyscape won't make it in time...). So, I am not limiting myself to only shelters. As for the above itinerary, it is just points I came up with by looking at the map and the companion guide.

So, that's all I can think of at this moment, but I know I am forgetting something... so, looking for some tips or suggestions for both this section of trail as well as thoughts on the above itinerary...

Oh yeah...I guess another thing is bear activity. I know that last month maybe there was a lot of activity around Neels Gap and up the trail. How about now?

Thanks

springerfever
05-21-2011, 06:58
STICK

Might want to consider getting off of trail at Deep Gap/N.C. That would set you up for a great, no shuttle, loop hike for your next section around the Standing Indian basin.

Yes, it's a long dirt FS road, but last time I was on it, it was in great shape and just off of NC64...excellent paved highway.

Blissful
05-21-2011, 08:20
Ron's motel is in Hiawasee

You've got some good climbs in there. And a rather steep descent off Blue Mtn. I'd never do 15 miles right off the bat like that unless you are hiking conditioned for a a week or two, but that's me. My knee would give me a hayday. The little "hills" out of Bly Gap if you choose to go farther will wake you up. Btw Low Gap and Blue Mtn though is an easy flat stretch of 7 miles I believe

STICK
05-21-2011, 11:23
SpringFever, I was debating just heading to Deep Gap, but I wasn't sure how the roads were getting there. If I can get it in the GPS for her I wouldn't mind doing that rather than backtracking.

Blissful, thanks for the info. I have been walking some around my home, but for the next few weeks I am going to try to get in 8-10 miles a day. I understand that it is still quite different though since this area is more so flat, and also I won't have a pack as heavy on. I will load up a day pack with about 10 pounds or so though...

I would like to have a back-up plan though jsut in case I feel like I cannot get those distances in though. Maybe if I see I cannot make it, I can have my wife just pick me up at US 76. I will program it in the GPS for sure either way. Of course though I will need to make sure I can get a cell signal to let her know which one I need her to pick me up at. Although, I feel confident I can make it to the border, and a little beyond, one way or another for her to pick me up. I plan to hike long hours. Up early, and hike into the night if I need to. But I figure with the amount of daylight, if I get going early enough I should make it by dark.

How about bears? Have they calmed down any?

Country Roads
05-22-2011, 15:57
Hey Stick, If I had it to do over again, I would Probably hike past Low-gap shelter (not that the shelter is that bad, but that the terrain ahead lends itself to good hiking). There are several places to camp over the next couple of miles past it and the trail from Low-gap shelter to Blue Mtn shelter is pretty easy by AT standards. That way you could do fewer miles over the longer climbs ahead (namely Rocky mtn, kelly knob and outta bly gap if you go on to Deep Gap, NC).
The trail from Muskrat Creek shelter to Deep Gap, NC is pretty easy too and it looks like the FS road is decent. I saw several cars there on a Saturday in late April as folks were doing short hikes and digging ramps.

Either way you go, have a great hike and be sure to share your adventure

Rcarver
05-22-2011, 17:08
I hiked Springer to Dick's Creek Gap the first of November last year. I didn't think the whole hike was too bad. The toughest parts were Unicoi Gap, Tray Mountain and Kelly Knob. All the shelters were in good shape. The only problem with any of the water sources. Was the one right at Blue Mountain shelter. It was pretty much dried up. There was a very good spring about .5 mile south of the shelter.

Half a good hike and enjoy.

JaxHiker
05-22-2011, 18:19
The road to Deep Gap isn't bad at all. There were several cars from day hikers the last time we were there. We're picking up there next week actually.

max patch
05-22-2011, 19:04
Maybe if I see I cannot make it, I can have my wife just pick me up at US 76. I will program it in the GPS for sure either way. Of course though I will need to make sure I can get a cell signal to let her know which one I need her to pick me up at.

No cell service at 76. Make your call before you begin your descent.

STICK
05-22-2011, 19:25
Thanks everyone.

Has anyone been through there and can tell about bear situations. Also, are the water sources marked in the guide books fairly accurate?

bigcranky
05-22-2011, 21:35
June is a good time to be on the trail -- we did our first long section in Georgia in June. It's warm, but cooler than back home. The trail is generally in pretty good shape, just watch out for poison ivy starting to crop up.

From Deep Gap you can take the Kimsey Creek Trail 4 miles down to Standing Indian campground. This is *very* easy for your wife to find, and a great place to end your hike.

Shelters: Low Gap is kinda sorta crappy, with not too many good camp sites, but the water is good and you can tent up near the trail. We had swarms of bees there in '03, got stung several times. Tray Mountain is cool with some great tent sites out in front of the shelter. (Check out the privy design :) ) Plum Orchard Gap is also fine, again with some okay tenting.

Agree with Blissful on the climbs. You'll have some good ones. I could handle 15 mpd after 4-5 days on the trail in Georgia, but not right out of the gate. YMMV, of course.

Have fun.

STICK
05-22-2011, 22:02
Thanks for the info big cranky!

scope
05-23-2011, 10:21
Just got back from doing that first section, and yes, saw a bear.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=46594&c=

But you'll be hiking well past that area the first day, though Low Gap is known for bear activity, too. I agree that you should try to hike past that shelter the first day - real good site 1.5m from there. Then rest of your itenerary looks good... just a decision to make on where you want to end. From Plumorchard shelter, its 15m total down to the Standing Indian Backcountry area via the Kimsey Creek trail (well marked at Deep Gap). It would be a hard early push up to Muskrat Creek shelter, but real easy the rest of the way. Its a paved road at SIB with the turnoff at Wallace Gap which has a fairly prominent sign for the turnoff from Hwy64. If you wanted to get that extra AT mileage in, I think you're wife could definitely follow instructions to get there, and won't freak out from driving a FS rd, which even the best ones can be a little unnerving to some the first time they drive it.

Personally, I think that's the way to go since it gives you an easier starting point the next time out if you follow your pattern. However, staying in Hiawassee might look real good to you about the time you get to Bly Gap! And you could always use Dicks Creek as your end point next time, too.

Have fun!! Remember, pics or it didn't happen!

flemdawg1
05-23-2011, 13:18
June is a good time to be on the trail -- we did our first long section in Georgia in June. It's warm, but cooler than back home. The trail is generally in pretty good shape, just watch out for poison ivy starting to crop up.

From Deep Gap you can take the Kimsey Creek Trail 4 miles down to Standing Indian campground. This is *very* easy for your wife to find, and a great place to end your hike.

Shelters: Low Gap is kinda sorta crappy, with not too many good camp sites, but the water is good and you can tent up near the trail. We had swarms of bees there in '03, got stung several times. Tray Mountain is cool with some great tent sites out in front of the shelter. (Check out the privy design :) ) Plum Orchard Gap is also fine, again with some okay tenting.

Agree with Blissful on the climbs. You'll have some good ones. I could handle 15 mpd after 4-5 days on the trail in Georgia, but not right out of the gate. YMMV, of course.

Have fun.

Low Gap shelter was fine back in May, there were plenty of tent spots around (most folks tented up the hill near the AT) they just weren't as obvious or flat as other spots. No bees.

max patch
05-23-2011, 13:28
. There was a very good spring about .5 mile south of the shelter.

Thats because thats where the shelter "used" to be before they built the new one at the "better" site.

phobos
05-23-2011, 17:11

Have fun.

I did this exact thing, i agree on it being sorta crappy. nice stream by the shelter though. The tent sites up from from the shelter are good for hammocking too ;]

stranger
05-23-2011, 23:05
That section is 46 miles, over 4 days...no worries.

I hiked from Springer to Bly Gap in 2008 in 4.5 days, was smoking at the time but in decent trail shape...was also 33, pack in the upper 20's, it wasn't anything too strenous.

Comes down to experience, only you will know how mileage affects you, nothing in Georgia is all that tough, but it's all relative to what you know.

Fears of Blood Mountain and Kelly Knob need not be entertained, everything on the AT is exaggeratted in my experience.

I really like the campsite just north of Dicks Creek Gap, off to right at the peak of the first climb, good bear branches too. Grassy, spring nearby. There is another one a few miles up off to the left but no great tent sites, mostly slanted ground and muddy in rain. And Bly Gap sucks for camping in my opinion.

scope
05-24-2011, 09:27
Ha! The only fear to have of Blood Mt is going down it! Besides, its not in this section. Kelly is a beach, but yes, its all relative to what you're used to. I find that the bigger hills aren't all that bad themselves, but they make all the smaller hills a lot worse. And there's plenty of both in this section.

STICK
06-01-2011, 19:56
Ok, so I am going to go ahead and hike into NC rather than turn back and backtrack.

From what I can tell, at Deep Gap the trail crosses US 71. Correct?
If so, does anyone have a coordinate I can program into my GPS so that it will be set for my wife?

Also, at Deep Gap, the Kimsey Creek Trail will lead to the Standing Indian Campgrounds? How is this trail? And is the Campgrounds easy to find, as far as my wife driving there? Again, anyone have an address or coordinates?

I am thinking if it is easy enough for her to get too, I will just let her pick me up at the trail on US 71. Then when I go back and pick back up, we can camp at the camping grounds and I can begin my hike from there the next morning...

bigcranky
06-01-2011, 20:14
Standing Indian is much easier to find and drive to than Deep Gap. Kimsey Creek is a nice trail, easy to follow. Seriously, do your wife a favor and have her meet you at Standing Indian.

STICK
06-01-2011, 20:36
From what I understood,to get to Deep Gap was as simple as turning off of US 64 and onto the FS 71 road, drive a little ways and then the trail crossed over it.

Also, if she picks me up at Deep Gap that would give us a little more time to drive to a town, get a room so I can get cleaned up and eat.

hikingshoes
06-01-2011, 21:24
From what I understood,to get to Deep Gap was as simple as turning off of US 64 and onto the FS 71 road, drive a little ways and then the trail crossed over it.

Also, if she picks me up at Deep Gap that would give us a little more time to drive to a town, get a room so I can get cleaned up and eat.

Stick,
Just got a call from my brother. The job isnt ready for 4-6weeks. Give me a call or shoot me the dates and I'll see if i can make it. HS

STICK
06-01-2011, 22:39
Stick,
Just got a call from my brother. The job isnt ready for 4-6weeks. Give me a call or shoot me the dates and I'll see if i can make it. HS

PM sent. Let me know if you can make it.

hikingshoes
06-01-2011, 22:46
Ok, so I am going to go ahead and hike into NC rather than turn back and backtrack.

From what I can tell, at Deep Gap the trail crosses US 71. Correct?
If so, does anyone have a coordinate I can program into my GPS so that it will be set for my wife?

Also, at Deep Gap, the Kimsey Creek Trail will lead to the Standing Indian Campgrounds? How is this trail? And is the Campgrounds easy to find, as far as my wife driving there? Again, anyone have an address or coordinates?

I am thinking if it is easy enough for her to get too, I will just let her pick me up at the trail on US 71. Then when I go back and pick back up, we can camp at the camping grounds and I can begin my hike from there the next morning...

N35 2.3756 W83 33.1812 (Deep Gap,USFS 71) There is water there per Appalachian Pages 2009 NoBo. Hope this helps.HS

buzzamania
06-02-2011, 00:57
[QUOTE=Blissful;1162603]Ron's motel is in Hiawasee

You've got some good climbs in there. And a rather steep descent off Blue Mtn.

Blue decent did seem like a beast to me as well on the des:eek:cent.

daddytwosticks
06-02-2011, 07:24
The Kimsey Creek Trail is a beautiful trail. Nice gentle decent into the campgrounds. Be aware, it can be wet! There are footbridges over the crossings, but in some spots, water flows freely on the trail itself. Hiked up this trail last Friday, the day after heavy rain and hail in the Standing Indian basin area. Wet, wet, wet! :)

Day Glow
06-02-2011, 19:19
I'm doing Springer to Davenport Gap in July... I'm being picked up where the trail crosses I-40 at Waterville, NC.

Skidsteer
06-02-2011, 19:50

FS 71 ends at Deep Gap @ 5-6 miles off US 64. There is parking, trash cans, white blazes and blue blazes.

STICK
06-11-2011, 23:36
Time is getting closer! I can't wait. I have gotten Deep Gap programmed into the GPS for her and I have checked it out and it looks good. I will also print the directions off for here too just in case.

This looks like it will also be my first solo. I have a buddy that thought he may be able to go but it doesn't look too good at this point. He may pull through at the last minute...

I will definitely look into going past Low Gap shelter the first day. Maybe I can stop for dinner at the shelter and then push on farther the 1.5 miles to that campground.

Got my gear all squared away but I have hit some snags. My new pack that I thought was going to be smaller ended up being bigger than I thought, however it is still lighter than my Circuit. It should do ok though, I just still have to find a smaller pack... (I am thinking Blast 26...) Also, I was hoping that my summer quilt I ordered a while back would be here in time, however, it will not make it in time so I will have to use my GoLite quilt...I was kinda wanting my base weight to be around 9 pounds for this trip, however, with this quilt and some gear I am testing it pushed it up to 11. But don't get me wrong, I am still quite happy with that weight!

Can't wait...

ChinMusic
06-11-2011, 23:41
The road to Deep Gap isn't bad at all. There were several cars from day hikers the last time we were there. We're picking up there next week actually.
I got my Prius there last November and it was snowing.

STICK
06-12-2011, 20:54
Good to know. She shouldn't have any problems then in her Xterra!

So, I need some info on a hotel close to Neels Gap. We will be leaving out from our home about 430 or so in the afternoon. If we were to drive straight to Neels Gap, with the time change, we would arrive around 12 at night. So, I would like to get a hotel on the drive in, but I want to be as close to Neels Gap as possible. This way I can get up early, eat a good breakfast somewhere, and finish driving to Neels Gap that morning, and hopefully be on the trail no later than 9 am. I will be driving east towards Neels Gap. Thanks for any info.

ChinMusic
06-12-2011, 20:56
I thought the Prius mention would put it in perspective.....;)

STICK
06-12-2011, 21:03
I thought the Prius mention would put it in perspective.....;)

To be honest, at first I thought you were being funny and saying that you got your car from there last November... :)

Skidsteer
06-12-2011, 21:21

So, I need some info on a hotel close to Neels Gap. We will be leaving out from our home about 430 or so in the afternoon. If we were to drive straight to Neels Gap, with the time change, we would arrive around 12 at night. So, I would like to get a hotel on the drive in, but I want to be as close to Neels Gap as possible. This way I can get up early, eat a good breakfast somewhere, and finish driving to Neels Gap that morning, and hopefully be on the trail no later than 9 am. I will be driving east towards Neels Gap. Thanks for any info.

Cleveland, Blairsville, or Helen.

STICK
06-12-2011, 21:52
Thanks, I will look at those and compare them to my route. Are they all good sources for hotel and breakfast? How far from Neels Gap?

ChinMusic
06-12-2011, 22:04
Blairsville is like 17 miles if I remember right.....nice town.

Skidsteer
06-12-2011, 22:07
Thanks, I will look at those and compare them to my route. Are they all good sources for hotel and breakfast? How far from Neels Gap?

18 miles from Cleveland, 25 miles from Helen, 13 miles from Blairsville. Coming from MS you'll hit Cleveland first.

All have hotels and breakfast places.

max patch
06-12-2011, 22:14
Blairsville is where you want to stay.

STICK
06-12-2011, 22:49
Sounds like Blairsville is where I want to be then...

virgil
06-12-2011, 23:11
It's very doable. I actually took one additional day. Consider hiking out to Deep Gap NC or Standing Indian Campground and getting a shuttle from there. The Budget Inn shuttle picked me up at Deep Gap $40 to Franklin NC. A shuttle from Standing Indian Campground is probably a little less. The stretch continuing North from the GA/NC line is moderate terrain and very pretty. Muskrat Creek shelter is not particularly nice but there were nice smaller camp sites a little further along the trail. Pick-up water at Muskrat Creek.