PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Recommendation - GSNP

kcnal
05-21-2011, 13:03
Hi all...I've went through a number of threads but wanted to post to get some recommendations:

I'm planning some trips surrounding the Smokies (GA-TN-NC in general) encompassing the months of late March - Mid October). I was looking for some opinions on bags (i.e. temp rating, etc). Will be packing so somewhat light is better and I'm a moderate to cold sleeper.

Thanks for any personal experience/recommendations..

BradMT
05-21-2011, 13:26
Height and Weight in order to give specific recommendations?

In general, a 20*F will be more than enough.

kcnal
05-21-2011, 13:34
thanks for the quick reply...

H=5-8" W=170

BradMT
05-21-2011, 13:49
Probably a pretty good chest size?

For down, I'd go with a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite 6' model. Has a 64" shoulder girth which makes for a comfortable mummy experience.

STICK
05-22-2011, 11:00
I have been using my Marmot Helium (http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/sleeping-bags/marmot-helium/) in the Smokies and I love it. It has a fairly wide shoulder/chest girth at 62" which would probably work for you. (I am 5'10" and 200 pounds). If you are an REI member you can pick one up off of REI with 20% off (http://www.rei.com/product/762528/marmot-helium-15-sleeping-bag) ($389 to $311). It is definitely worth it! Plus you can always feel comfort in knowing that since you bought it at REI you can always return it if something is wrong with it.

Saying that, you can't go wrong with a WM bag wither. I don't have one (but I think I am getting the WM Kodiak MF for Christmas! sshhh... :) ) However, it is usually harder to find them on sale, and they are not available at REI so essentially, no lifetime warranty. (However I don't think anyone has really needed it for those bags...)

If you want to go with WM bags, check out Hermits Hut (http://www.hermitshut.com/sleepingbags.html). They offer free overfill (for the bags that are allowed overfill) and even a free (synthetic) pillow, or a down pillow for something like $5 extra. Can't remember for sure. I do believe that they provide a code for free s&h for WM products too.

I will say that from June-August, a 20 F bag will probably be overkill though. Once late May rolls around I put my helium away and pull out my 40 F quilt. Right now I am using a GoLite quilt, but am waiting on a custom quilt to arrive... But that all depends on how you sleep I guess. If you only go with the one bag, be sure you get one with a full zip (the ones discussed so far are full zip) so that you can unzip them all the way and then drape them over you like a quilt.

bigcranky
05-22-2011, 21:54
A good down bag in the 20-30F range with a full zipper will work for those months. I like my Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a wide-cut 30-F bag. In colder weather I wear clothing to bed, and there is plenty of room inside for that. In warm weather it makes a nice quilt.

Jersey Tim
05-22-2011, 22:37
It's worth it to mention that the above mentioned bags (the Marmot Helium and anything by WM) are both high-end, very high-quality and quite lightweight; be aware that you do pay for what you get. If you're more budget-minded, there are a lot of good mid-range bags from the reputable major manufacturers out there; just keep in mind that cheaper bags will be heavier, and may be rated more... wishfully.

BradMT
05-23-2011, 09:15
A good down bag in the 20-30F range with a full zipper will work for those months. I like my Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a wide-cut 30-F bag. In colder weather I wear clothing to bed, and there is plenty of room inside for that. In warm weather it makes a nice quilt.

I agree whole-heartedly with that recommendation!

The Megalite is ideal. In fact, were I planning an AT thru-hike that's the bag I'd take. I got the Alpinlite stuck in my head and recommended that, but meant to recommend the Megalite.

Regardless, I've used WM bags for twenty years... my wife and I currently both use Versalite's. They're excellent bags and are made in the USA... not something that can be said much anymore.

tuswm
05-23-2011, 12:00
I am a swimmer with big shoulders. I have found that Marmot bags give me the most upper body room. They also have a more affordable version of every bag mentioned filled with 650 fill instead of 850. slightly heavier but way less expensive. but if you can pay....