PDA

View Full Version : Nobo start location for June 1?

gardenhead
05-21-2011, 14:05
Heading to NM in about a week to start hiking nobo. I'm not dead set on a thru, so I'm not gonna be starting at the border. With this years conditions, where would be the ideal place to be about now for a nobo hiker?
Thanks in advance

BrianLe
05-21-2011, 21:05
Have a look at the CDT-L archives (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/), there was a post today about snow in northern NM. You'll also want to update yourself on the status of the fire (no idea, I'm planning on a SOBO so haven't paid much attention).

If I were starting NOBO a week from now, I'd just start from the Mexican border and start walking north, but also look through the CDT-L archives for clues about water availability.

It's just looking like a tough year, Lots of snow on most of the trail still.

You might also want to post on CDT-L to get a wider range of responses.

Spirit Walker
05-21-2011, 22:10
Given the lack of water and the fire problems, I wouldn't start south of Grants. Grants is pretty easy to access (not far from ABQ) and the country north of there is interesting. Lots of volcanic plugs. It's easy walking. North of Cuba you briefly climb into high mountains that are quite nice then drop to the beautiful Ghost Ranch area. Starting at either Grants or Cuba you would have a couple of weeks before you would be likely to hit snow.

bearcreek
05-22-2011, 10:36
I would consider temperatures more than anything else. The Bootheel is probably getting really hot right now but starting around Silver City or even Lordsburg would probably be tolerable. The entire official CDT in NM is open right now. The Miller fire is headed NW and not towards the trail. Several have hiked the Black Mountains this year and found water. Charlie Thorpe put a really good list of where he found water this year on CDT-L. http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/2011-May/004776.html

It's about 250 miles from the Mt. Taylor Trailhead to Cumbres and that would leave about 500 miles in NM for you to do later. That would put you in the San Juans in about two weeks if you left right away. There will probably still be a lot of snow in there at that time and I'd definitely suggest a lightweight iceaxe and crampons if you make that choice. Or maybe wait a week or two then start at Mt. Taylor to hit things just right.