PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for new backpack

DavidNH
01-28-2005, 22:04
Hello,

I do currently have a backpack (Lowes Alpine Controu IV large size) which has 5500 + inches of capacity and weighs in at 6 lbs 14 oz. It has served me well but from what I have learned in my reading and discussions with others..I would be better off with a smaller and lighter pack on a long distance hike like the AT. And I must admit the pack I have now does get heavier as the day progresses!

I find it real hard to keep pack weight down when the pack will hold almost anything one can put in it. Holds everything but the kitchen sink...(for that one would need the Gregory Pro which I understand weighs in at 8 pounds empty for 7000 plus cubic inches. Hmm..do you suppose there are any AT hikers that actually use such a pack:-? ?

I am looking for feed back on a good pack to get for long distance backpacking like an AT thru hike. Specifically I have recently been looking at the Gregory Forester. I would very much appreciate pos neg feed back on this pack.

I hope to get my weight down...but don't see going much under 40 fully loaded. I am just not one of those ultra light types (Not gonna cut handle off my tooth brush!). However, I do want to reduce my pack weight to the extent without sacrificing too much comfort.

ON step I have just taken..I got myself a 10 lb digital scale so I know what everything weighs..and most of my stuff wieghs more than I thought it did!!!

While cost matters for sure.. put that aside for the purposes of this thread. In my book on the trail..good gear is far better than cheap (ie inexpensive) gear!

David

Peaks
01-29-2005, 10:32
Well,

Your really have two issues here that you need to work out. First, is to take a good look at what gear you already have and figure out what you really don't need to take along with you. If it doesn't come out of your pack at night, then you probably don't need it.

As posted on other threads, the way to buy a backpack is to take all your gear, water, and food, to you local outfitter any load up a few packs and try them on. See what works for you.

That being said, the Gregory Forester pack you mentioned is a fine pack that is used by many. If that's the size you need, and it fits you, then you should be happy with it. Like wise for the Osprey Aether pack which is the same price and about the same size and weight.

A-Train
01-29-2005, 18:01
NH hiker

The Forester is a great pack and I used it for about 1000 miles on the AT. Gregory makes excellent packs, maybe the best. They are virtually indestructable and I never remember seeing one break on anyone (besides the G pack, which was kind of an experiment).

I've carried 40+ pounds in it and the weight seems to disseapear becuase of the great suspension and comfortable backpad and hipbelt. If you do decide you want to shed a bit of weight and space you can always detach the top lid and save close to a pound.

I kind of stray away from recommending packs like these (5 lbs or more) to future thru-hikers since so many people seem to want to lighten up and downsize after they become comfortable on the trail and I figure, why not try to get them to adopt lightweight practices before the AT. BUT if you are truly commited to the gear you have (or money isn't an issue) then I recommend this pack highly. You want regret it. Gregory has excellent waranty and customer service and their packs are sold and fixed all over.

BlackCloud
01-29-2005, 21:44
If you have the room, you will fill it. So get a pack w/ less room. Also get a pack that weighs less. External packs are lighter, smaller, & less expensive - by a long shot on all three.......

neo
01-30-2005, 03:31
i love my equinox katahdin 1 lb 10 oz excellent hip belt and suspension system,
on sale 80 bucks.great pack:sun neo

stickman
01-30-2005, 11:52
I like my Dana Terraplane for when I take monster loads (like winter or going with my young daughter and wanting lots of comforts) but I really LOVE my Osprey Aether 60. Its the most comfortable pack I've used for loads up to maybe 35 pounds. Its hard to get that much in it because the volume is 3700 ci. Its my pack of choice if/when I ever thru.

Stickman