PDA

View Full Version : Bob Cats

d.o.c
05-21-2011, 20:35
So today i was hiking up on the parkway i just got back and just befor i got to my car i saw a very large bob cat just north of black horse gap so freakin cool... i was so close to this one. kinda made me jump back for a second. has anyone else ever got a real good look at a bob cat i hear they are very rare seen in the wild??? :sun

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 20:44
So today i was hiking up on the parkway i just got back and just befor i got to my car i saw a very large bob cat just north of black horse gap so freakin cool... i was so close to this one. kinda made me jump back for a second. has anyone else ever got a real good look at a bob cat i hear they are very rare seen in the wild??? :sun

I've seen a few Bob Cats in the wild....It is sorta rare to see em though because they're mostly nocturnal unless unusually hungry. Once while I was camping to Deer hunt a Bob Cat kept me awake screaming all night near my tent for 4 consecutive nights... Then around 2 pm it came by my hunting spot trailing 4 does that had passed by a few hours earlier.. Hoping it was the same one that had been keeping me awake all night I put a .30-'06 bullet between its shoulder blades. It apparently was the same cat because my sleep wasn't disturbed the rest of that week..BTW...Season was open on Bob Cats at the time in NC so I didn't break any laws..

d.o.c
05-21-2011, 20:49
i saw it like an hour ago and the sun is down now pretty much. this one was about as large as my bllue tick hound i was pretty suprised..

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 20:52
who shoots a bobcat? and why? oh yeah. you.

why didnt you let it live?

were you scared, annoyed or dangerously exausted in need of sleep?

why did you do this? fun? bravado? i cant imagine. no disrespect. what exactly happened that led to its demise?

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 20:57
seeing a bobcat is something i pray kids get to do allways. i did alone as a teen in pa. it was white and stared at me for a while from about 2 feet away. its like a wild house cat but hungryer. i feel so honored to have the memory. lets not kill too many more huh? gotta admit they aint a problem. and their cool. right?

d.o.c
05-21-2011, 21:00
i thought it was badass... id never want to kill a cat .

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 21:05
who shoots a bobcat? and why? oh yeah. you.

why didnt you let it live?

were you scared, annoyed or dangerously exausted in need of sleep?

why did you do this? fun? bravado? i cant imagine. no disrespect. what exactly happened that led to its demise?

I hadn't had a decent night's sleep in 4 nights.. I had my .30-'06 so was I scared? not hardly.... annoyed? Yes.. exhausted? yes...in need of sleep? yes..

fiddlehead
05-21-2011, 21:11
Wow! 2 out of hundreds have seen one in the wild.
So you shot it.
Wow!

I can't imagine the thrill that must have given you.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 21:16
Wow! 2 out of hundreds have seen one in the wild.
So you shot it.
Wow!

I can't imagine the thrill that must have given you.

Did I say it gave me a thrill? It gave me sleep the rest of that Deer season...You always have some smart ellic thing to say!! Get over your self...Fiddlea**!!

WingedMonkey
05-21-2011, 21:17
They aren't that rare here in Florida if you get way from the development. More likely to see one at night, they like the canal levees for hunting rodents.
Be warry of any that let you get too close, like foxes it's often a sign of rabies.
If I shot things that kept me awake in the woods, the woods would be empty.

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 21:50
are we being trolled? cause think about it. if you saw the bobcat clear enough to get a shot, then you could have shot in the air and it would have never returned. but you shot it cause your neither a hunter, nor a bobcat killer. just a story writter. i dont belive a word of your filth.to post that you killed a bobcat for fun on this site is not cool. close please.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 21:54
are we being trolled? cause think about it. if you saw the bobcat clear enough to get a shot, then you could have shot in the air and it would have never returned. but you shot it cause your neither a hunter, nor a bobcat killer. just a story writter. i dont belive a word of your filth.to post that you killed a bobcat for fun on this site is not cool. close please.

you know where you can go..don't you?... I'll make it crystal clear for you..TO HELL!! How about that?!!

d.o.c
05-21-2011, 21:59
you know where you can go..don't you?... I'll make it crystal clear for you..TO HELL!! How about that?!!
whoa dude.....

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 22:02
closing,.....now.

Lemni Skate
05-21-2011, 22:06
Bobcats live near my house.

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 22:08
im here in hell and theres alot of bobcats.

d.o.c
05-21-2011, 22:09
ive heard them here and seen one run across the road, but never as close as 30 feet .

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 22:09
mweinstone keep posting your nonsense and
"your know it all" crap...You're on my ignore list anyway and all I have to see is "This message is hidden because mweinstone is on your ignore list (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist)." In fact..I'm now putting this entire site on "ignore" Too many arrogant "know it alls" posting on here..I have better things to do..

d.o.c
05-21-2011, 22:11
see ya in a week just go hike dude

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 22:21
strange... i allways liked him just fine.???? whatever. low blood sugar?

Phreak
05-21-2011, 22:24
mweinstone keep posting your nonsense and
"your know it all" crap...You're on my ignore list anyway and all I have to see is "This message is hidden because mweinstone is on your ignore list (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist)." In fact..I'm now putting this entire site on "ignore" Too many arrogant "know it alls" posting on here..I have better things to do..
The bobcat was in its natural environment. You were simply camping. If you can't handle being around woodland critters, find another activity arse-clown.

RWBlue
05-21-2011, 22:31
I have seen two in my lifetime.

One was in Ohio it was a good 1000+ yards away.

The other one was in AZ. It was maybe 10 feet away, but we were separated vertically. It knew I couldn't get any closer. It gave me a look and then continued on. I was able to get the camera up, but didn't get a good shot.

Both experiences were great.

And to the anti-hunters, yes if I was in the right place at the right time.....I would shoot one with something besides a camera. The cats are one of the few animals I get stuffed.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 22:37

The other one was in AZ. It was maybe 10 feet away, but we were separated vertically. It knew I couldn't get any closer. It gave me a look and then continued on. I was able to get the camera up, but didn't get a good shot.

And to the anti-hunters, yes if I was in the right place at the right time.....I would shoot one with something besides a camera. The cats are one of the few animals I get stuffed.

OMG!! Prepare to be crucified here RW....Bunch of people on here who think every one is supposed to be just like they are and live by their rules..No one but them has any rights...

WingedMonkey
05-21-2011, 22:49

Not anti-hunting at all....my my own personal rule is not to shoot what I ain't gonna eat. Crows are legal but I don't eat them either. Or mount them.

Jim Adams
05-21-2011, 23:01
Bobcats are cool...seen maybe 7-8 in the wild and also 5 kittens playing on a fire road back in '85. I called the local game warden to report the kittens in case they needed a study and he just laughed and said "if people knew how many bobcats were out there, they would make us put a bounty back on them".

geek

skooch
05-21-2011, 23:03
I'm very sad now. LRR you give gun owners a bad name.

Jim Adams
05-21-2011, 23:05
I was stopped on a dirt shuttle road in Canada standing beside my van taking a piss when a lynx walked out of the bush in front of the van and down the drivers side ( I was on the passenger side at the edge of the road) and then it walked behind my van to the edge of the road and just stopped and stared at me for about 10 seconds and then just walked back into the bush....I WAS TERRIFIED!

geek

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 23:05
I'm very sad now. LRR you give gun owners a bad name.

Another "dictator" for the ignore list...

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 23:09
Bobcats are cool...seen maybe 7-8 in the wild and also 5 kittens playing on a fire road back in '85. I called the local game warden to report the kittens in case they needed a study and he just laughed and said "if people knew how many bobcats were out there, they would make us put a bounty back on them".

geek

yep...many more than folks realize...There's NO limit on em where I live..but I've only shot one..and gettin crucified here..but ask me if I care...

skooch
05-21-2011, 23:23
yep...many more than folks realize...There's NO limit on em where I live..but I've only shot one..and gettin crucified here..but ask me if I care...

So I thought we were all on your ignore list. Please settle down. Did you actually think before you posted that you killed a magnificent animal because you were tired? rhetorical please don't answer me.

LDog
05-21-2011, 23:27
Another "dictator" for the ignore list...

Ignore me too please?

LoneRidgeRunner
05-21-2011, 23:34
Ignore me too please?

Done ..and with pleasure

RWBlue
05-22-2011, 00:31
Not anti-hunting at all....my my own personal rule is not to shoot what I ain't gonna eat. Crows are legal but I don't eat them either. Or mount them.

Generally I am with you. I have not been able to make a good soup out of antlers, so I don't hunt antlers.

Ground hogs and other varmints have been an issue in some areas, so they get thinned out as needed.

Song dogs have been a n issue in some areas so they get thinned out as needed.

The whole modern shoot it, mount the antlers and not use the meat thing just seems like a waste. At least find someone or an organization to give the meat to.

trailangelbronco
05-22-2011, 01:16
I just got my Idaho Wolf hunt permit. Hoping to get one..

fiddlehead
05-22-2011, 01:22
Hunting as a sport is one thing.
Killing an animal for pleasure or with the excuse of helping you sleep is just plain sad.

Great White
05-22-2011, 03:37
I have seen a few bobcats. The early morning or late afternoon is when they are observable. I got a really good picture of one a year or so ago from fifty feet away. To make a long story short, it could not identify me as a person and just stood there staring at me while I photographed it. It was a great encounter.

I did stumble upon one during the day around noon. It was bedding down and I got to close to it. I have done that before to deer, boar and a bear and cub. From reading this forum, I am lucky to see the wildlife.

Since hunting has been mentioned on this thread, I was at the Seminole State Forest during a special deer hunt last year. The parking lot was full of vehicles. Walking along the Florida Trail I encountred at least five deer. I only heard 4 shoots the entire day. I may have seen more wildlife then the hunters.

mweinstone
05-22-2011, 07:45
dear bobcats, please make all the noise you like around me. i am honored by your sounds and would gladly trade sleep to hear you.

dear bigfoot, you know what to do here......

Painted Turtle
05-22-2011, 08:08
North West CT is getting their share. Saw two in one week and the second one was right in my back yard. The first one (a very big one) I almost got a picture of but once it saw me it was gone. LOVED IT!!! Coyotes are also making a big come back. Unless one is hunting for food One should remembe it is THEIR house and they belong there. Shot with a camera and respect them as you would want of someone in your house.

Chomp09
05-22-2011, 09:30

For someone who doesn't care about all the negative opinions of your words and actions, you sure are checking in, and responding a whole lot to them on this thread. Go troll somewhere else... troll.

Snowleopard
05-22-2011, 10:51
North West CT is getting their share. Saw two in one week and the second one was right in my back yard. The first one (a very big one) I almost got a picture of but once it saw me it was gone. LOVED IT!!! Coyotes are also making a big come back. ...
I'm glad to hear that. I grew up near you (Thomaston), and they were there, but very rare; I never saw one.

History in Connecticut: The status of bobcats has changed dramatically in Connecticut. Historically, they were not protected and were viewed as a threat to agriculture and more desirable game species. In addition, the dramatic deforestation that peaked in the 1800s greatly reduced the habitat available to bobcats and many other wildlife species. Bobcats do not prefer mature forest but do flourish in areas with thick understory. In the 1970s, a large increase in the value of bobcat pelts raised concerns that they could be overharvested. At that time, the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection reclassified the bobcat as a protected furbearer, with no hunting or trapping seasons. Conversely, housing and commercial development have decreased the amount of suitable habitat. Bobcats are less adaptable to humans than other wildlife species, such as the coyote. http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2723&Q=325974
Apparently, protecting bobcats in CT in the 1970s has resulted in a comeback.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-22-2011, 11:12
For someone who doesn't care about all the negative opinions of your words and actions, you sure are checking in, and responding a whole lot to them on this thread. Go troll somewhere else... troll.

wow.. adolescent name calling... how mature at 33 ..

Lord Helment
05-22-2011, 11:19
so the moderator takes down a post from someone who wants to ride a mountain bike on the trail......trail crews and the authorities ignore atv's on the trail...and now we have some jackass shooting bobcats so he can sleep.....really nice weekend on whiteblaze

Lord Helment
05-22-2011, 11:22
lrr please add me to your ignore list

tnwolf51
05-22-2011, 11:47
i really hope ya ate that bobcat its natures law dont shoot what you wont eat.

randyg45
05-22-2011, 12:32
Had one at a deer camp in Georgia that did us that way for three or four years running. I tried and tried to trap the thing. He would scavenge/eat gut piles unless I had set out traps... of course. I finally left the traps in camp one year, buried lightly and unset, so they could not have scent on them. Set them wearing washed latex gloves freshly covered in deer blood and offal...
I suppose he had died or moved on. We never heard him again.

I wanted to mount him.... as in taxidermy.... :banana

RWBlue
05-22-2011, 13:53
i really hope ya ate that bobcat its natures law dont shoot what you wont eat.

That is not really true. Many animals in nature kill for sport or fun.

I have seen a tom cat do it to a mouse. He played with it for a long time and then after it was dead, waled away.

A guy on another forum showed a video of a leopard doing the same thing to a antelope.

Then there were the deer that have been known to break other deer's necks in rut.

Then there are the times when the plan eaters attacking other plant eaters or humans or ....

Doc Mike
05-22-2011, 14:49
Ok I'm ready to be crucified. i usually see 8-10 bobcats per year and kill 4-5. I don't eat them but i do sell the hides so in a way they put food on the table. You can double that number for coyotes and about the same number on foxes. Also deer, rabbits, squirrels, raccoon, and the occaisional ground hog. When I lived in montana the gophers were a lot of fun killing a couple hundred a day. btw didn't eat the gophers either but fed them to the chickens.

I like being at the top of the food chain.
btw i don't have anyone on my ignore list.

~Luna~
05-22-2011, 15:09
I'm a solitary hiker. I've walked up on one on a trail (maybe 30 feet). It was walking in the same direction and I observed it as we walked along for maybe a minute till it heard me and bounded off. It was the size of a small border collie. Beautiful animals!

WILLIAM HAYES
05-22-2011, 15:13
had one snarling close to my tent near chattahoochie gap sevreal years ago-have seen a couple on the trail always been a pretty cool thing to see one

d.o.c
05-22-2011, 15:36
That is not really true. Many animals in nature kill for sport or fun.

I have seen a tom cat do it to a mouse. He played with it for a long time and then after it was dead, waled away.

A guy on another forum showed a video of a leopard doing the same thing to a antelope.

Then there were the deer that have been known to break other deer's necks in rut.

Then there are the times when the plan eaters attacking other plant eaters or humans or ....
my cat does that with mice if i give hi the chance he will eat it they do play with it befor its eatn... they wouldnt waste the energy..

Feral Bill
05-22-2011, 16:44
[QUOTE=

I like being at the top of the food chain.
[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the mosquitoes

Doc Mike
05-22-2011, 20:24
Tell that to the mosquitoes
I guess you got me there. lol

general
05-23-2011, 17:54
people shoot all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. i'm no trophy hunter, don't wanna eat no stinky buck anyway. i will shoot coyotes around the house, after they've kept me up for a few nights, if the opportunity presents itself. it's not about power, or the desire to kill things or anything other than simple population management. see, if they are brave enough to be around humans, then their population has exceeded the boundaries of nature and has entered the boundaries of civilization. survey says: only a number that is at or under the carrying capacity of a particular environment is acceptable when considering over population and outbreak of disease. moral of the story: some populations should be managed, or, nature will manage it itself in a much more drastic manner.

Beachcomber
05-23-2011, 18:07
This all reminds me of what Oscar Wilde said about fox hunting by the English upper crust: "The unspeakable in hot pursuit of the inedible."

LDog
05-23-2011, 20:08
This all reminds me of what Oscar Wilde said about fox hunting by the English upper crust: "The unspeakable in hot pursuit of the inedible."

Indubitably!

Skidsteer
05-23-2011, 20:10

Well played.

RWBlue
05-23-2011, 20:59

Are you sure you want Oscar Wilde as your spokes person?

A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.
Oscar Wilde (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/oscarwilde382695.html)

:D

Doc Mike
05-24-2011, 08:23
ok an original thought.
I like the way RWBlue thinks.

rambunny
05-24-2011, 10:37
Saw a Catamount in Vt.Beautiful!

YohonPetro
05-25-2011, 10:46
My favorite animal, never seen outside of a zoo. It's a shame. I need to start walking more quietly or going with less smelly friends...

gunner76
05-25-2011, 20:55
When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton (USMC) California in the '80's I rode a bicycle to work and saw Bobcats along the side of the roads on a regular basis (along with Deer and Foxes).

Ran into a few people in the barracks whose snoring would keep me awake at night that I wanted to shoot but never did.

Egads
06-11-2011, 16:32
I hadn't had a decent night's sleep in 4 nights.. I had my .30-'06 so was I scared? not hardly.... annoyed? Yes.. exhausted? yes...in need of sleep? yes..

Did ya consider moving camp?

moytoy
06-13-2011, 06:13
When I was about 17 and hunting deer in Tellico with my Dad and Uncle I had a Bob Cat walk up the downed tree I was perched on. It was just light enough for me to see it when it got within about 10 or 12 ft of me. I believe if I hadn't moved a little it would have walked over me. My uncle gave me a hard time because I didn't try to shoot it but I never even thought about doing that. My Dad never really said much but I think he was prouder of me for not killing it. It was so fast I couldn't have hit it anyway.

virgil
06-13-2011, 08:23
I've seen quite a few probably one every few years. It's unusal to see them because they're very stealthy, but they are really are not particularly rare. They mostly lay low during the day and hunt at night. Early evening is a good time to see them. I've personally seen them in NY, PA, NC and SC, but I think they're native to every state east of the Mississippi, possibly every state in the USA period. They are not dangerous or a threat to humans. They're mainly a threat to rabbits, mice, fawns and other small mammels (watch out! house cats). As far as size, there are many sub-species, they run 15-20 lbs. possibly up to 25 lbs., that's about it. Pretty cool animals.

d.o.c
06-13-2011, 09:10
25 pounds huh i was sure this one was as big as my hound dog whos not very small deff heavier than 25 pounds.. and we think a bob cat got out purr monster one night for lil kitty never came home.

hikerinnc
06-15-2011, 06:37
I'm hoping to see one someday. Theres one less I have a a chance to see now. :(

RWBlue
06-15-2011, 20:23
I'm hoping to see one someday. Theres one less I have a a chance to see now. :(

Don't worry, they are not endangered. I am sure there will be more young ones next spring.

StreamWalker
06-18-2011, 18:28
I've seen a few Bob Cats in the wild....It is sorta rare to see em though because they're mostly nocturnal unless unusually hungry. Once while I was camping to Deer hunt a Bob Cat kept me awake screaming all night near my tent for 4 consecutive nights... Then around 2 pm it came by my hunting spot trailing 4 does that had passed by a few hours earlier.. Hoping it was the same one that had been keeping me awake all night I put a .30-'06 bullet between its shoulder blades. It apparently was the same cat because my sleep wasn't disturbed the rest of that week..BTW...Season was open on Bob Cats at the time in NC so I didn't break any laws..

So you killed this cat because it was keeping you awake ? You must of been the pride of the hunting camp. Tell me, if it was within the law to kill people because they kept you awake, would you shoot them between the shoulder blades ?

Glad I don't hunt with you.

RWBlue
06-18-2011, 19:06
So you killed this cat because it was keeping you awake ? You must of been the pride of the hunting camp. Tell me, if it was within the law to kill people because they kept you awake, would you shoot them between the shoulder blades ?

Glad I don't hunt with you.

If it were legal to kill people, there would be a lot less people.

StreamWalker
06-18-2011, 19:21
If it were legal to kill people, there would be a lot less people.

Oh but it is legal to kill people. It happens all the time, but it takes a special individual to end the life of a living creature because it or you kept someone up with a gun.

Kinda smacks of John Wesley Hardin or perhaps Caligula. Hey it was this fellow's choice to say he killed a Bobcat for the same reason. Perhaps such a decision will come back at him in his next life or the spirit world. One thing is certain if someone who would do that can be a member here, there should be no problem for someone like me, a day hiker, angler and night reveling camper hanging around this place ?

oruacat2
06-18-2011, 22:55
OMG!! Prepare to be crucified here RW....Bunch of people on here who think every one is supposed to be just like they are and live by their rules..No one but them has any rights...

Irrelevent since you admitted shooting it because it kept you awake at night. Your rights....lol Why, you're a modern day Patrick Henry. :rolleyes:

oruacat2
06-18-2011, 23:01
BTW - I'm certainly not "anti-hunting" - but there's a difference between killing and hunting. By your own admission, you were hunting deer - an intentional, deliberate activity (how'd that work out, anyway? Are deer in your area attracted to indiscriminate gunfire?). You shot and killed a wild cat for dubious reasons, at best. Congrats.

ATBuddy
06-19-2011, 00:51
So at the last minute I decided to take a drive on Skyline Drive at night for once hoping to see more wildlife. It was about 9:30PM and way off in the distance in front of my headlights I noticed this animal that was on a rock wall ledge jump off the ledge. I couldn't tell what it was, so then I parked and got out of the vehicle and shined a flashlight into the woods where I saw the animal run off. Again I didn't see anything. So I decided to park farther away and walk up. So I parked pretty far away, then started walking up with my flashlight on, and in the distance there it was again, and almost immediately ran off again. I then get up to where it was and shined the flashlight again, and didn't see anything. I then decided to turn the flashlight off and wait. So the flashlight was off for about 30 seconds, then I hear this weird noise. It sounded like some kind of baby making some kind of call. I then turn my flashlight on and notice a bobcat about 30 feet down the hill walking across a fallen tree and then dissapear. I then imitated the call I heard, and shortly there after the bobcat pops out at the edge of the grass about 4 feet from where I'm standing and looks at me. Then a car drives by and it runs off. Then I imitate the sound again and shortly after I do that It pops up again about 4 feet away and starts growling at me. It surprised me so much that I fell backwards off of the ledge I was standing on. I had a camera in my hand but it was dead, so I couldn't even get a picture. Maybe that was a good thing though, because I don't know what the flash would have caused it to do. I then walked back to my vehicle as calmly as I could with it still growling at me. I didn't want to run, because I didn't know if it would start chasing me. So I went back to my vehicle and pulled it up near where the bobcat was and just watched from my vehicle for about 30 mins. It climbed into a tree and was pulling branches up the tree and was in there for a while. That was last I saw of it. I think there was only one bobcat but it was a little weird because it popped up in front of me so fast after seeing it from a distance then disappear into the woods.

RWBlue
06-19-2011, 01:06
So at the last minute I decided to take a drive on Skyline Drive at night for once hoping to see more wildlife. It was about 9:30PM and way off in the distance in front of my headlights I noticed this animal that was on a rock wall ledge jump off the ledge. I couldn't tell what it was, so then I parked and got out of the vehicle and shined a flashlight into the woods where I saw the animal run off. Again I didn't see anything. So I decided to park farther away and walk up. So I parked pretty far away, then started walking up with my flashlight on, and in the distance there it was again, and almost immediately ran off again. I then get up to where it was and shined the flashlight again, and didn't see anything. I then decided to turn the flashlight off and wait. So the flashlight was off for about 30 seconds, then I hear this weird noise. It sounded like some kind of baby making some kind of call. I then turn my flashlight on and notice a bobcat about 30 feet down the hill walking across a fallen tree and then dissapear. I then imitated the call I heard, and shortly there after the bobcat pops out at the edge of the grass about 4 feet from where I'm standing and looks at me. Then a car drives by and it runs off. Then I imitate the sound again and shortly after I do that It pops up again about 4 feet away and starts growling at me. It surprised me so much that I fell backwards off of the ledge I was standing on. I had a camera in my hand but it was dead, so I couldn't even get a picture. Maybe that was a good thing though, because I don't know what the flash would have caused it to do. I then walked back to my vehicle as calmly as I could with it still growling at me. I didn't want to run, because I didn't know if it would start chasing me. So I went back to my vehicle and pulled it up near where the bobcat was and just watched from my vehicle for about 30 mins. It climbed into a tree and was pulling branches up the tree and was in there for a while. That was last I saw of it. I think there was only one bobcat but it was a little weird because it popped up in front of me so fast after seeing it from a distance then disappear into the woods.

That is weird.

You making sounds the animal coming close, I can buy that.
Then running away. (Up to this point, somewhat normal.)
Staying around and growling at you....odd.

RWBlue
06-19-2011, 01:16
BTW - I'm certainly not "anti-hunting" - but there's a difference between killing and hunting. By your own admission, you were hunting deer - an intentional, deliberate activity (how'd that work out, anyway? Are deer in your area attracted to indiscriminate gunfire?). You shot and killed a wild cat for dubious reasons, at best. Congrats.

You bring up an interesting point.

Since I am not a trophy hunter, I hunt for food. I always looked at different animals as targets of opportunity.

If I am hunting deer and a rabbit shows up and it is legal to shoot it.
Is there anything wrong with changing what is for dinner?

If I am hunting rabbits with dogs, is it alright to bag a fox? I don't plan on eating the fox. I have never shot a fox. If I did, I would save the hide and do something with it.

StreamWalker
06-19-2011, 07:25

Since I am not a trophy hunter, I hunt for food. I always looked at different animals as targets of opportunity.

If I am hunting rabbits with dogs, is it alright to bag a fox? I don't plan on eating the fox. I have never shot a fox. If I did, I would save the hide and do something with it.

"I hunt for food"

Same here, but unlike some of the hunters in my area, I do not use an ATV, 2way radios or dogs. Although there are modern rifles and shotguns in my cabinet, I hunt with a bow or black powder rifle. Non-game animals such as Bobcat, Fox, Hawks, or Coyote, I see no need to kill them.

Unfortunately there are those who kill for the joy of killing even if they have to swerve their trucks in order to kill a Box Turtle or Groundhog on the road's shoulder. I saw this happen the other morning on my way to work, a Box Turtle on the shoulder and the jerkwad in front of me swerved just to kill it. Oh what a special individual, perhaps he'll get creamed by a tractor trailer while changing a flat on the shoulder.

Aesop
06-19-2011, 08:51
Oh, how different the world would be if kindness and compassion ruled.

WingedMonkey
06-19-2011, 11:19
Oh, how different the world would be if kindness and compassion ruled.

Tell that to that dolphin trapped in that pen so that tourists can get their rocks off.

:sun

oruacat2
06-19-2011, 13:48

Just my two cents, but IMO that would be a senseless killing, and frankly I just don't understand that mentality, nor do I ever hope to understand that mentality. Basically "alright" is in the eye of the beholder.

Aesop
06-19-2011, 14:01
Tell that to that dolphin trapped in that pen so that tourists can get their rocks off.

:sun
yes I knew someone would say that; I can't do anything about what they are doing with captive dolphins in Mexico, or anywhere else for that matter. Except give money and my spare time to try to make things better for animals everywhere. And that is what I do in my spare time; I do try to make things better when ever I can.

This particular dophin was pregnant which will not happen for many captive animals. Since dolphins have two brains, two hearts, basically two bodies within their one body, they can sleep while the other side is awake. I have to say she was an ambassador of sorts. Trapped here in this pool for the purpose of someone making money off those of us who love animals, but still willing to allow me to hold her, knowing she will eat if she performs, these things are what WE do to them.

Whether we use them for money, food, entertainment, or are just plain mean to them like the earlier post referred to in the box turtle story, people could change the world by changing themselves and responding to cruelty with kindness and compassion.

I showed "Molly" as much compassion as I could in the short hour that I was there. If I could have freed her, I certainly would have. That is if she can even live on her own in an accepting pod in the wild. Do people show compassion in their posts on White Blaze? I don't hear compassion in your language, and I'm sorry for that.

StreamWalker
06-19-2011, 21:48
Irrelevent since you admitted shooting it because it kept you awake at night. Your rights....lol Why, you're a modern day Patrick Henry. :rolleyes:

One has to wonder if the will of some to kill in such a manner is engrained behavior passed down from an earlier time when a good many European colonists lived an rural agricultural lifestyle. Farmers, livestock owners and no doubt hunters, supplementing their diets with fresh game. Predators such as Panthers, Wolves, Foxes, Fishers and Bobcat were looked upon as both a threat to livestock and as competition by colonial hunters. Having pushed the original inhabitants ever westward or else killed them off, these European settlers then declared war upon the land and all wild living things. Old forest gave way to cultivated fields and pastures and wildlife such as Elk, Eastern Bison, Passenger Pigeon, Wolf and other species were hunted/trapped out. Be it for meat, sport, animosity, incovenience bounty, or value of fur these once plentiful creatures roamed the hills and valleys no more. Even now 'Peshewa' is still persecuted or hunted for trophy and their numbers have dwindled over the years. The very act of surviving until now bespeaks of an intelligent and adaptable creature. In my opinion the ‘Peshewa’ is a noble creature.

Perhaps such bravado concerning the killing of a Bobcat because it’s free and wild manner of living became an inconvenience -
would be better suited and more appreciated at an outdoor site where guns and hunting are the mainstay of most discussions.

chief
06-19-2011, 22:41
Even now 'Peshewa' is still persecuted or hunted for trophy and their numbers have dwindled over the years. The very act of surviving until now bespeaks of an intelligent and adaptable creature.Kinda like rats and cock roaches, huh?

StreamWalker
06-19-2011, 23:59
Kinda like rats and cock roaches, huh?

Only if you're alright with putting cockroaches and Bobcats in the same category. True they're both living creatures that have survived man's efforts to wipe them out, but roaches are something that most would want to take a snapshot of in the wild or speak of in a kindly way. I'd rather see a Bobcat in my backyard than to see roaches pour out of a cereal box with my cornflakes.

RWBlue
06-20-2011, 00:44
The very act of surviving until now bespeaks of an intelligent and adaptable creature. In my opinion the ‘Peshewa’ is a noble creature.

You should add deer to the list. As we have more deer in North American than when the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth.

They (along with other animals) will be around forever as long as they are properly managed.

If they are not properly managed, geese bring down airplanes, cars hit deer, animals disappear (or start eating people's pets), ....

Man is getting better at managing animals.

StreamWalker
06-20-2011, 04:09
You should add deer to the list. As we have more deer in North American than when the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth.

They (along with other animals) will be around forever as long as they are properly managed.

If they are not properly managed, geese bring down airplanes, cars hit deer, animals disappear (or start eating people's pets), ....

Man is getting better at managing animals.

And who was counting North American Deer before 1620 ?

Man was put over all North American animals as managers ?

RWBlue
06-20-2011, 12:15
And who was counting North American Deer before 1620 ?

Man was put over all North American animals as managers ?

Well, the old DNR guy looked old enough to have done the count back in 1620, but I didn't ask. It is logical, that we would have more deer now than then based on how the land is being used. If this is really important, I can try to bring the DNR into this conversation.

As far as man managing animals, it depends on your religious view.

StreamWalker
06-20-2011, 20:35
As far as man managing animals, it depends on your religious view.[/QUOTE]

Well that view does not make me a steward of the earth, that view puts me as being part of nature.

Part of Nature not over her