PDA

View Full Version : Cookware Upgrade

Jersey Tim
05-21-2011, 22:55
I've been shopping around for a higher-grade pot than my current one, and was getting close to pulling the trigger on an REI/Evernew titanium pot, when I saw someone mention their kettle in a recent thread. It got me thinking: since my cooking style's most complicated operation is adding boiling water, is a kettle a more efficient boiler than a pot, thus stretching my fuel ounce/dollar? Now I'm eyeing up the GSI Ketalist set, figuring I could leave home (or even resell) the extraneous mug, boil with the kettle and make my meals in the polypro bowl; this would also mean I wouldn't have to scrub food gunk off anything metal. Am I onto something here, or should I keep it simple and just get the Ti pot?

http://www.rei.com/product/798276/gsi-outdoors-halulite-ketalist-cookset

LIhikers
05-21-2011, 23:29
Leeet me suggest you check out the grease pot at a K-Mart. It's lighter and cheaper than that kettle and heats easily. It comes with a lid, is easy to clean, and you can eat out of it. I think I paid $6 and change a year or so ago.

LIhikers
05-21-2011, 23:30
Oh, the grease pot I mentioned above is aluminum.

STICK
05-21-2011, 23:49
I have used the GSI Kettle with my WBS and it has been a great pair. Highly suggest them both. However, I did recently pick up a .9L Evernew Ti pot to carry on my future thru just in case I decided I wanted to cook something rather than just heat water. At the moment, I plan to use the WBS with the Evernew pot, although I went with the Evernew because I want to try out the Sidewinder (Caldera Cone) and this pot fits the Sidewinder. So, it is all up in the air, kinda, but regardless, I know that either pot or kettle and the WBS will work. Just trying to figure out which one I "like" better...

I also have one of the IMUSA (KMart) grease pots. I have never used it though...just because I have so many other pots...but I see no reason why it would not work.

dla
05-22-2011, 00:18
I've been shopping around for a higher-grade pot than my current one, and was getting close to pulling the trigger on an REI/Evernew titanium pot, when I saw someone mention their kettle in a recent thread. It got me thinking: since my cooking style's most complicated operation is adding boiling water, is a kettle a more efficient boiler than a pot, thus stretching my fuel ounce/dollar? Now I'm eyeing up the GSI Ketalist set, figuring I could leave home (or even resell) the extraneous mug, boil with the kettle and make my meals in the polypro bowl; this would also mean I wouldn't have to scrub food gunk off anything metal. Am I onto something here, or should I keep it simple and just get the Ti pot?

http://www.rei.com/product/798276/gsi-outdoors-halulite-ketalist-cookset

I can tell you it is a good kettle - more info here (https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/cozies-kettles-stoves-etc#TOC-Kettles). I can't comment on the bowl. Personally, I would ditch the bowl, buy a long-handled spoon, and get into freezer bag cooking.

Rocket Jones
05-22-2011, 09:00
I can tell you it is a good kettle - more info here (https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/cozies-kettles-stoves-etc#TOC-Kettles). I can't comment on the bowl. Personally, I would ditch the bowl, buy a long-handled spoon, and get into freezer bag cooking.

+1

I started with the grease pot and it works fine. I switched to the kettle and it works fine too, and it is more efficient at heating water.

I do FBC and don't carry a bowl, except recently I added the cut-down bottom of a lunch meat container (http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Hillshire-Farm-Deli-Select/Roast-Beef/8-oz/044500976526/) to make it easier to hold the freezer bag o' food. It's only about an inch deep and weighs practically nothing.

tuswm
05-23-2011, 12:38
I have the GSI dualist, it has the same mug and bowl. They are great as they are much larger then they look, durable, easy to clean, and the top goes on either to keep contence warm. The mug with the top on keeps things warm for a long time. They are also short and wide and all most never spill even on a good slope. Also the stuff sacks that come with the GSI series carry water.

The folding spork is crap, it WILL fail.

If you are considering a cookware upgrade the GSI pots have 2 coatings. 1 is a ceramic coating for heat distribution. it works well enough for me to evenly cook trail pizza. makes a noticeable difference. The non stick is by far the best non stick I have ever seen on any pot. best backpacking or kitchen. I have burned pasta black and turned the pot over and it just fell out.

I also like how fuel and stove fit inside.

also when considering weight think about what you take now that you could leave behind. like a cup and bowl and somehting to carry extra water to camp.

hikingshoes
05-23-2011, 18:32
I use a GSI Halulite Minimalist and love it for solo hiking, but for two hikers you'll need a bigger pot. I havent cooked in it just FB cooking is all.HS

tuswm
05-24-2011, 00:52
ok what does FB cooking mean. I know freezer bag. but would some one care to explain?

dla
05-24-2011, 01:16
ok what does FB cooking mean. I know freezer bag. but would some one care to explain?

It is a method of cooking that relies on heat-soaking foods via boiling water. It is very effective and gives a low-cost menu with great variety. Requires a cozy, water boiler, quart-size Ziplock bags and a long-handled spoon. I converted to FB cooking a couple years ago and I've never looked back.