PDA

View Full Version : Droid map app

randyg45
05-22-2011, 19:33
What's the best GPS and/or map apps for a droid phone?
I'm a Luddite wanting to join the cool kids on the tech crew....:):)

Someone posted (last fall?) about an app that had great zoom capability, could mark your place on the trail within a few centimeters (!!), cook breakfast... The one I'm thinking about came in four or five downloads for different sections of the trail and was dirt cheap if I remember correctly. But I can't find it :confused:

Anyway, what's out there?

TIA

Jersey Tim
05-22-2011, 20:04
Google Maps came stock on my Android-running phone, and the topo combined with GPS positioning is great. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to overlay a KML of the trail onto it.

FarmRookie 2015
05-22-2011, 22:34
Can you mark locations with that?

JaxHiker
05-22-2011, 23:10
Google Maps came stock on my Android-running phone, and the topo combined with GPS positioning is great. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to overlay a KML of the trail onto it.

I was hoping Google Earth would let you do this but it doesn't.

BrianLe
05-23-2011, 10:34
Search this (and other) forums for threads about this; I think BPL had one a while back. I have Gaia GPS (http://www.gaiagps.com/) on mine; it's good for shorter distances, but it's not designed to make it at all easy to put an entire trail on at a time, i.e., a thru-hiker might find it a bit of a pain to be continually having to download another chunk of map.

Graywolf
05-23-2011, 14:19
I have several apps. Right now I have been testing "My Tracks" which came with my phone. Once you get pass the learning curve, which isnt much, its pretty cool..

There is also a tutorial video on their website.. Check it out..

www.mytracks.com (http://www.mytracks.com)

Graywolf

Graywolf
05-23-2011, 14:21
I have several apps. Right now I have been testing "My Tracks" which came with my phone. Once you get pass the learning curve, which isnt much, its pretty cool..

There is also a tutorial video on their website.. Check it out..

www.mytracks.com (http://www.mytracks.com)

Graywolf

Bad link. Sorry guys.. Here you go,

www.mytracks.appspot (http://www.mytracks.appspot)

Graywolf

Toolshed
05-23-2011, 20:17
Backcountry Navigator (Droid version)
Try the free demo first, I like it.
Backpacker GPS trails Lite. Also seems to be OK. I have demo versions of both that I have used on dayhikes.

Jonnycat
05-23-2011, 21:24
I wonder how I ever got along these last few decades without having the latest app for my whatsitphone.

YohonPetro
05-25-2011, 10:09
I use Gaia GPS. I haven't tested it extensively, as I am typically a Luddite in the woods!
But it does have good topo maps pulled from the 1 of several sites that you choose a certain amount of tiles and download for off-line use (battery will last longer, will work w/o signal, etc). It has a free test version that is fully featured but you can only download a small area at a time.

JaxHiker
05-25-2011, 19:42
Backcountry Navigator (Droid version)
Try the free demo first, I like it.
Backpacker GPS trails Lite. Also seems to be OK. I have demo versions of both that I have used on dayhikes.

I'm trying the demo now but having a heck of a time trying to get the AT centerline KML file loaded. I got the GPX with my shelters to import but that's about it. :-?

TrailBehind
05-28-2011, 15:25
My wife Anna and I develop Gaia GPS.

If anyone would like a free copy of the full version of the app, drop me an email at [email protected] (mailto:[email protected]), and I will send it to you.

Currently, our paid version is way ahead of our free version, but we are about to ship a new free version that brings them to the same point in our development.

Andrew

Toolshed
05-28-2011, 18:41

If anyone would like a free copy of the full version of the app, drop me an email at [email protected], and I will send it to you.

Currently, our paid version is way ahead of our free version, but we are about to ship a new free version that brings them to the same point in our development.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew - I will send something soon!!!

moytoy
05-29-2011, 07:00

If anyone would like a free copy of the full version of the app, drop me an email at [email protected], and I will send it to you.

Andrew
:welcome I'm going to try your free version for Android and if I like it I'll buy. I don't like adds. BTW congrats on the marriage.

moytoy
05-29-2011, 07:01

Andrew
:welcome I'm going to try your free version for Android and if I like it I'll buy. I don't like adds. BTW congrats on your marriage.

moytoy
05-29-2011, 07:03
wups..sorry bout that double post

bflorac
06-01-2011, 00:11
So far, I good luck with AlpineQuest (http://alpinequest.psyberia.net/english/index)