PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag help

Sterling
05-22-2011, 22:35
Hi all, goin sobo soon and a sleeping bag is last on the list.
I refuse to use a mummy because i need room to sprawl out while settling in for the night. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good thru hike bag thats not a mummy? I was looking at buying mountain hardwares down flip or flip 35/50

STICK
05-22-2011, 23:59
Have you looked at the Montbell bags. They stretch out quite a bit.

If not, how about a quilt?

Jonnycat
05-23-2011, 00:21
Ditto on the montbell bags. I have used many a mummy, but I can be a fidgety sleeper at times and need to be able to stretch out a little. I have one of the ultralight super stretch bags, which unfortunately they no longer make, but from my understanding the newer models (the super spiral) work on the same principle.

As a bonus, when you aren't sprawling out, the bag is closer to your body, form fitting gently and keeping you warmer.

If you want the benefit of a mummy without being stuck in a tube of toothpaste, you might find them to be a good compromise.

tuswm
05-23-2011, 12:12
I am a wide bodied person. If I wear a fleece to bed I can not zip up my REI mummy bag. Kelty, lufalopple, MHW and a few other are about the same and are wider that REI. however I have found that widest bags out there seam to be marmot. and you can try them at REI

I know MHW used to make a zip in section to make your bag wider. I dont know if they still do.

I do know that other companies make Wide versions

I have not tried WM montbell though

jeffmeh
05-23-2011, 15:41
I bought the Warbonnet Mamba 3-season long/wide quilt for my son to use on his thru next year, and tried it out this past weekend. I was very pleased with it.

As a broad-shouldered, barrel-chested guy, I had been unzipping my mummy bag and using it as a quilt anyway. Besides giving me enough room, this also allowed me to vent and better regulate temperature in the warmer weather.

mweinstone
05-23-2011, 15:44
when i told kids jesus was real, they broke my arms and hung me on a cross. they never healed right and they stick out perfectly at a 90 degree angle to my torso.im fine in my mummy.

mweinstone
05-23-2011, 15:46
my marmot bags have the widest shoulder girth in the buizz. i chose them for that reason. i got 64 inches yo.

Sterling
05-23-2011, 16:07
well the spanish inquistition left me pretty mangled, but ill check out some marmots.

Old Hiker
05-23-2011, 16:36
well the spanish inquistition left me pretty mangled, but ill check out some marmots.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

general
05-23-2011, 17:10
i've been using a marmot never summer for years. it's wider than most, but still a mummy. there are some lightish rectangle bags out there, but they are still heavier than comprable mummies. kelty and slumberjack would be a good place to start.

tat44too
05-23-2011, 17:21
Check out Marmot. I have a Helium MemBrain and a Couloir. Great bags...

QiWiz
05-31-2011, 20:57
JRB Sierra Sniveler is my choice.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 21:01
Check out Marmot. I have a Helium MemBrain and a Couloir. Great bags...

same here! if by membrain you mean eq coated. thats what they called it in o6. and to the op, wanna buy either of mine their yours for toilet paper and glucose.

hike500
06-01-2011, 14:03
my marmot bags have the widest shoulder girth in the buizz. i chose them for that reason. i got 64 inches yo.

Start researching, I have a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite bag with a 64" girth. There are quite a few brands that make them that big, not just Marmot. I would post the question on a couple different forums.

Hoop
06-01-2011, 22:35
Western Mountaineering has several semi-rectangular models in various temp ranges.

STICK
06-01-2011, 22:43
A quilt will let you stretch out as much as you possibly can...more so than any mummy bag...