PDA

View Full Version : loops in the Smoky Mountains

evanandpeaches
05-23-2011, 00:30
I am going to the Smokies this weekend and am looking for a loop my brother and I can hike in 2.5 days so I am thinking 5-8 miles the first day then 15ish miles on the 2nd and 3rd day. I have found a few loops that look good but some first hand knowledge would be great.
Thanks,
Evan

ken209
05-23-2011, 08:41
I am going to the Smokies this weekend and am looking for a loop my brother and I can hike in 2.5 days so I am thinking 5-8 miles the first day then 15ish miles on the 2nd and 3rd day. I have found a few loops that look good but some first hand knowledge would be great.
Thanks,
Evan
What loops do you have in mind? Will be tough getting in a shelter or a reserved camp this late.

HooKooDooKu
05-23-2011, 14:30
Also keep in mind that many of the trails around the Abram's Creek area are currently closed because of a recent tornado, as well as Backcountry Campsites 35, 36, 37, 83, 84 due to bear activity.

If you have to avoid camp sites that require reservations (which elliminates all shelters), I can find the following loops:

Start at the end of The-Road-to-Nowhere and hike to #70 for the 1st night 5-6 miles), then #82 for the 2nd night (12ish miles), and back (13ish miles). I've never hiked this area before (but planning a trip in a few weeks that will include 64 and 71).

Something that can be a lot fewer miles with alternate routes that make them longer is Smokemont to 48 and 49. The smallest loop is about 5-8-5 miles for the three days, while the longest (that includes the AT crossing Laurel Top, with a potential side trip to Charlies Bunion, and the Smkemont Loop) makes for about 5-17-9 miles.

The only places on these two loops that I've ever been to is campsite 49. It includes crossing an old tressle bridge in the middle of no where, and I recall 49 being a nice spot by the creek.
and makes a loop out of #48 and 49. The trip to 49 includes crossing an old tressle bridge in the middle of no-where. The trip between 48 and 49 can be a direct route that's about 8 miles, or you can take the long way around via the AT crossing Laurel Tops for about 15 miles (add another 1/2 mile and you can include a trip to Charlies Bunion). The trip from 49 back to the car can be as short as 5 miles, but can be extended to about 10 if you take the Smokemont Loop.

evanandpeaches
05-24-2011, 16:29
Thankyou guys I will look at those two loops on the map tonight. I forgot about reserved sites so I will try to avoid those.