PDA

View Full Version : Running The Appalachian Trail

wandee
05-23-2011, 01:19
Hey guys!

I have put together quite a bit of information now online-- contacting various people that have posted blogs and stories about running the Appalachian Trail and I have started quite a backing to hopefully be doing this next year. I need some advice though and because this plan is just coming together now and starting to form in my mind, I'm wondering the little details.
I won't have a team to assist me, is it possible to run the trail with a small pack (talking around to slightly bigger than hydration size pack) carrying my basic food and water with me? Can someone give me a decent itinerary to get started? At the very least, I want to do some sections of the Appalachian Trail just to enjoy running it long distance. I know some folks out there will not like the idea of me running it but I want to assure that running the trail has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to take it fast or speed run, I merely want the feeling of moving along through the mountains how I love moving best. As crazy as it sounds, I want to do this a lot more than just hiking it. At least if I have a very small pack, I can make the choice of running and walking as I feel like it. I'm in no hurry to do this, I will train quite a bit and I've been accustomed to the appalachian mountains for some time now (I lived on the east coast but have been traveling around the last two years through the west coast). I'm excited for this and I was wondering if anyone could share more information on others who have run this solo without a team behind them-- is it possible?

njordan2
05-23-2011, 06:40
As one who enjoys running and enjoys hiking on the A.T., the best advise I can give you is to take advantage of the shelter system that has been constructed and is maintained on the Appalachian Trail. A lot of people have worked hard to develop the vision and do the manual labor it takes to build and constantly maintain the shelters.

The main thing is that almost all of the shelters have a water source near by and a privy. There are a lot complaints about the privies, but they prevent a million cat holes being dug around the shelter. The shelters are also great to keep the rain off. In the few hundred miles of the A.T. I have hiked, I would not say any of them leaked very bad. It is common for there to be mice, but that is about it. One also meets a lot of good people at the shelters and can pick up some good advice from them. However, also be prepared to camp on the ground. Sometimes the shelters are full or you just want to stay somewhere there is no shelter.

Fox River socks. Wool, medium weight hikers.
Sleeping bag, food, water filter.

Bring a map and compass. So many folks say they are not necessary. I can tell you, they are. If for no other reason than planning out your next road crossing or trip into town.

Good luck, I think you will enjoy it!

njordan2
05-23-2011, 06:43
I figured I would post something that might be of value before all the usual nay sayers chime in and start being sarcastic jerks.

Lemni Skate
05-23-2011, 07:40
I'm taking our high school team's cross country team for a week of trail running this July. We'll have plenty of support however so it'll just be hydration packs when running and then bigger packs for hiking to overnight camping spots.

I'm really interested in how you do this without a support crew.

10-K
05-23-2011, 07:52
If you're not trying to set a record and just trying to go light and do quite a bit of running start at Springer Mt. and head north.

If you can consistently hike 25-35 mile days you'll have the option of going into town almost every day for quite a while.

max patch
05-23-2011, 10:25
I can run on the AT for a day when all I need to carry is some water and power bars.

I can not run on the AT if an overnight is involved and I need to carry a pack with tent, bag, etc, etc, etc. Walking at a fast pace is the best I can do. To run the AT for a multi day section I'd need support or a paid shuttle at days end.

Panzer1
05-23-2011, 10:31
I won't have a team to assist me, is it possible to run the trail with a small pack (talking around to slightly bigger than hydration size pack) carrying my basic food and water with me?short answer: no.

Panzer

Mags
05-23-2011, 11:39
A group of people did a self-supported 'run' (probably ultra style with power hiking and running mixed) as soloists on the Benton MacKaye Trail.

Maybe this link can help?
http://runthebmt.wikispaces.com/

It was for a shorter length (300 miles vs 2200!), but the basic ideas may be of use to you.

Good luck!

jbwood5
05-23-2011, 12:04
A group of people did a self-supported 'run' (probably ultra style with power hiking and running mixed) as soloists on the Benton MacKaye Trail.

Maybe this link can help?
http://runthebmt.wikispaces.com/

It was for a shorter length (300 miles vs 2200!), but the basic ideas may be of use to you.

Good luck!

I'm pretty impressed by Kirk's sub 2 day run from Deals to Davenport. That is around a 100 miles... and considering he did the rest of the BMT the 3 previous days. The guy is amazing!

10-K
05-23-2011, 12:45
I'm pretty impressed by Kirk's sub 2 day run from Deals to Davenport. That is around a 100 miles... and considering he did the rest of the BMT the 3 previous days. The guy is amazing!

5 days to hike the BMT? That's amazing - better than 55 miles a day.

WingedMonkey
05-23-2011, 13:10
I smell a one post wonder.

wandee
05-23-2011, 15:17
Thanks for the link, Mags! That is very helpful. I figure if I break the trail up into smaller sections and start mapping out where I can stop for food, refueling, etc. it will go a long way. I figure that daily I'll need to know where I can stop and when for food/water. It gives me a bit more confidence knowing that the shelters usually have water nearby and that I will have the possibility of privies.

With that said, I have a few things to figure out for gear: my pack and the size that it will be. Does anybody know any good running backpacks that might work for me? I'm looking for something light but with enough room to keep my basic food, could be a hydration pack unless I use a water bottle with a hand strap, a sleeping bag and I'll probably wind up just attaching my sleeping pad to the outside on the back in some way. Enough room there for a light rain jacket, a possible change of clothes and the other spare items I'll need like toilet paper, my tooth brush, etc.

I checked out some stores today to see what was out there-- a few packs looked promising: Camelbak Havoc looked to be the size I need-- the Camelbak fourteener looked like more of a hiking-style hydration pack, so I have to wonder if that would be too large for running-- the other I was looking at was the MULE ENV by Camelbak. Those three look the most promising at the moment.

This won't be a one-post wonder-- I'm going to keep this pretty updated. Maybe I'll try a bit of section running this summer just to start fine-tuning things more.

Snowleopard
05-23-2011, 15:39
... I figure if I break the trail up into smaller sections and start mapping out where I can stop for food, refueling, etc. it will go a long way. I figure that daily I'll need to know where I can stop and when for food/water.
With that said, I have a few things to figure out for gear: my pack and the size that it will be.

Everybody has to break the trail into smaller sections and figure out where and when to resupply. Check out the articles section of WB; there's a resupply article. It's easier for you because you'll be travelling faster.

You need to figure out the rest of your gear before you get a pack. You won't know what volume or weight carrying capacity you need till then. I don't do trail running, but I think you'll find it a real pain if you have much hanging on outside of your pack. The fellow who speed hiked the BMT was aiming at keeping his pack weight under 20 lb including food and water. Because you're moving fast, most of the time you won't need much warm clothes for hiking. BUT, on parts of the trail (White Mts and Maine) and early or late season, you need to carry enough gear that you won't become hypothermic if you get injured and can't keep up your speed.

Have fun!

RockDoc
05-23-2011, 17:16
I'm an ultrarunner so I understand your attraction and encourage you to give it a try. I just finished 27 days to do the Virginia AT with a sub 20 lb SMD Swift pack. At times I tried to run a bit with it, but found it unwieldy.

One concern would be staying dry (and warm). Depending on the weather I know I would quickly be soaking wet if I was running on the AT. As soon as you stop you have to deal with the problem of cooling off and possible hypothermia. We didn't have much luck trying to dry wet clothes during our hike--until we reached a laundry in town.
And I wouldn't count on staying in shelters; there are hundreds of people on any given section of the AT. We went southbound and one day we counted 87 northbounders! You may have to camp, unless you stop very early in the day, like 3 pm, and reserve your shelter spot.

JJJ
05-24-2011, 08:01
Thanks for the link, Mags! That is very helpful. I figure if I break the trail up into smaller sections and start mapping out where I can stop for food, refueling, etc. it will go a long way. I figure that daily I'll need to know where I can stop and when for food/water. It gives me a bit more confidence knowing that the shelters usually have water nearby and that I will have the possibility of privies.

With that said, I have a few things to figure out for gear: my pack and the size that it will be. Does anybody know any good running backpacks that might work for me? I'm looking for something light but with enough room to keep my basic food, could be a hydration pack unless I use a water bottle with a hand strap, a sleeping bag and I'll probably wind up just attaching my sleeping pad to the outside on the back in some way. Enough room there for a light rain jacket, a possible change of clothes and the other spare items I'll need like toilet paper, my tooth brush, etc.

I checked out some stores today to see what was out there-- a few packs looked promising: Camelbak Havoc looked to be the size I need-- the Camelbak fourteener looked like more of a hiking-style hydration pack, so I have to wonder if that would be too large for running-- the other I was looking at was the MULE ENV by Camelbak. Those three look the most promising at the moment.

This won't be a one-post wonder-- I'm going to keep this pretty updated. Maybe I'll try a bit of section running this summer just to start fine-tuning things more.

Look at the TerraNova 10L pack fitted with a 3L MSR bladder. I like a hand-held too for quick access for an electrolyte compliment. I use a hammock. Toilet paper is overrated. It's difficult to achieve badass status and be dependent on TP -jus' my opinion maybe. A bag liner may serve in hot weather. I'd love a Marmot pounder though I think.
Have fun,
JJJ

jbwood5
05-24-2011, 09:13
Keep in mind that certain parts of the BMT are not marked well and it is easy to get off on the wrong trail unless you are familiar with the trail and these particular tricky areas. That could be your biggest time consumer if you make a wrong turn. I remember 2 or places in GA and a couple in NC/TN where I got messed up. I think this is more likely to happen when you are running because of the tendency to focus on the trail surface rather than maps. Good luck with your run.

jbwood5
05-24-2011, 09:16
Keep in mind that certain parts of the BMT are not marked well and it is easy to get off on the wrong trail unless you are familiar with the trail and these particular tricky areas. That could be your biggest time consumer if you make a wrong turn. I remember 2 or places in GA and a couple in NC/TN where I got messed up. I think this is more likely to happen when you are running because of the tendency to focus on the trail surface rather than maps. Good luck with your run.

Sorry... I see we got off topic... and I was thinking BMT not AT. You should be fine on the AT; i.e. very little chance of getting off the trail.

sbhikes
05-24-2011, 09:27
Haven't some people day hiked the AT? If dayhiking the AT can be done, no reason you can't run it. I wouldn't bring a change of clothes. It's not necessary for hiking so even less so for running, I'd think. If you are planning to sleep on the trail, I'd just bring a large bandana or a small towel and dry off before getting in my sleeping bag.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-24-2011, 15:14
never met a runner on the AT its not like running a marathon on flat land or typical cross country you can bust you butt real fast on the AT just hiking at a normal pace-

jbwood5
05-24-2011, 15:34
never met a runner on the AT its not like running a marathon on flat land or typical cross country you can bust you butt real fast on the AT just hiking at a normal pace-

I think there is quite a bit a difference between road running (marathons) and trail running, and that is not always apparent to most people who think of traditional running.

On the AT and similar trails, there are good long sections that you can run on and more rocky mountainous sections that you pick your way through, kind of like a "fast pack", but all the time focusing on the trail surface and concentrating on your foot placement. After a while it becomes automatic and you just do it unconsciously. That is not to say you can't fall and injure yourself. It happens but far less frequently than you think. After a few years of doing this, your ankle supporting muscles, tendons and ligiments become extremely tough and it is very tough to twist or sprain an ankle.

I still jog the good sections at age 61 with a light weight back, but my preference is to hike all trails that I hit for the first time. If my desire is to hike, I hike...... If I want to do a trail run, I speed walk/jog (still referred to trail running, but hardly).

JJJ
05-26-2011, 08:29
Yes, you do bust your butt on the AT more than running the roads. I run the AT once or twice pretty much most weeks. You just take your time and hike the tough sections and hills. It doesn't take long to figure out where to make adjustments. Still, booboos happen.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2wrg9xd.jpg

Hoop Time
06-08-2011, 11:17
Just met Gobbler the other day on his AT run. He is suffering from some tendonitis in his shins that has really slowed him down. Similar problems dashed Karl Meltzer's 2008 record attempt.

I'd suggest staying injury free will be the biggest challenge, not what gear to carry.

Those guys both were/are supported. They were not carrying much beyond water and maybe some protein bars.

Remember, any extra weight you carry will mean additional impact forces on your feet/legs when you run.

Unless you are planning a record attempt, I'd suggest you make sure to schedule enough zero/rest days in your itinerary. I'd also carry a big bottle of Vitamin I.