PDA

View Full Version : Winter Conditions on the Southern Sections

jerseydave
05-23-2011, 05:50
Just out of curiosity.

If a person wanted to do a section from say Springer to Fontana, and because of work could only get time off in the winter for an extended hike......

On average, what type of weather/trail/water conditions would someone face on a typical January/February trek through this area.

I know weather is hard to predict and changes from year to year, but just looking for an idea of what could be expected.

Thanks,
jd

Tipi Walter
05-23-2011, 06:27
The last two Januarys in the southern apps have been rough with deep snow and low temps above 4,000 feet.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/3/3/12851/trip-90-129.jpg

This fotog was taken in January 2010 on a ridge close to the AT.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/7/a/4/47012/TRIP-118-370.jpg

And this was taken in January 2011 not far from Stecoah Gap on the AT.

January and February above 4,000 feet in the Southeast usually has a lot more snow than you'd think.

Bati
05-23-2011, 06:58
The water sources should be fine, though you might have to break through some ice at times to reach running water. Be sure to bring a real stove so that you can melt snow if you have to do so. Expect your water bottles to freeze at night.
The trail is well marked, but sometimes it's marked on rocks, not trees. Bring a map and compass and know how to use them, though the odds are you'll be able to stay on the trail most of the time. Even if you hit a lot of snow, the trail goes up and down pretty much every mountain, so it's fairly easy to navigate when the snow obliterates the blazes, assuming you have the skills to do so. There's a large chance that you won't see more than a few inches of snow and navigation won't be an issue at all. There are no fords in this area.
Bad storms can occur but they are rare. Have someone with good judgement and contact them when you arrive in a town or have a signal. Make sure that they won't panic if there's a storm and they don't hear from you, but that they can determine an appropriate number of days to wait before getting the word out. A storm that's bad enough to keep you from hiking is unlikely, but if you're marching through knee-deep snow, you won't make the miles you were expecting.
Many years March is as bad or worse than January so enjoy!

bigcranky
05-23-2011, 10:07
It really varies a lot from year to year. Several years ago we had temps in the 70s in January at the SORUCK in the Nantahalas. But yeah, be prepared for lows well below freezing, sometimes into the single digits in December and January, and highs anywhere from mid-20s to mid-50s. Snow levels vary so much it's hard to predict right now. You could get what TW shows in the photos above, or you could have dry trail.

All that said, if you are well-prepared for winter hiking conditions, hiking in the Southern Appalachians in winter is just wonderful.

moldy
05-23-2011, 10:22
This trip is about 160 or so miles and in Summer can take 10 to 14 days for your average hiker. So if you closely monitor the long range weather for this area you may find a time where you can make a mad dash for Springer and do a almost snowless hike that is quite doable. If the weatherman is wrong you might be on a death march. Climbing mountains in deep snow will slow you down to 2 or 3 miles per day and wear you out. If you just schedule a start date well in advance you will have to be lucky to even finish your hike and you will need all that heavy equipment. The good thing for this area is that you have alot of outs with many roads that will allow you to deviate to town somewhere if the blizzard of 2012 hits.

Snowleopard
05-23-2011, 10:36
On average, what type of weather/trail/water conditions would someone face on a typical January/February trek through this area. ...

You have to prepare for the typical extremes, not the average.

For a Jan/Feb hike, you'll have Dec to learn some winter camping. Start out in your backyard and try out a weekend or two; if it's not cold enough in NJ go a few hours north.

Read some of TipiWalter's trip reports and check out last years trailjournals for early starters.

general
05-23-2011, 17:35
you could have t-shirt weather or you could get hammered. prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

jerseydave
05-24-2011, 05:53
Thanks for all the great input.....

Walter, surely you must have at least one set of snow shoes in the massive pack :D

Snowshoes, yaktrax, etc.

Pocket rocket and extra fuel

Isulation sufficient for sleeping into single digits

Research ALL possible early outs in case of poor weather, poor mileage due to slow treking, or the need to resupply more often mileage wise due to slower progress

Make a true effort to meet/find someone with better judgement than my own.

Who wants to go with me???

Thanks,

jd

Egads
05-24-2011, 06:37
snow was deep two winters ago. I did 13 miles thru fresh snow over knee deep & drifts deeper than my waist in GSMNP. And this was across Newton bald, not the AT. One week later this area was fast hiking as I was walking on a hard icy crust.

bigcranky
05-24-2011, 09:57
Great list, except:

The Pocket Rocket will not work in serious winter conditions*. The fuel will not vaporize at colder temps (the exact temp depends on the fuel mixture, but certainly by the mid-teens the stove will be next to useless.) The only canister fuel stoves that will work have an inverted canister system to provide liquid fuel to the stove, and a vaporization tube for the fuel. Otherwise bring a liquid fuel stove like a Whisperlite or similar.

(*Except at very high altitudes.)

general
05-24-2011, 15:01
i've never had a problem with my canister stove (msr superfly). i've used it in temperatures in the low teens. burns slower, but works.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-24-2011, 15:09
look at my gallery photos from a hike in march several years back it may give you an idea of what weather lurks out there in jan-march just be prepared

10-K
05-24-2011, 15:17
With a foot of snow on the trail there will be a lot of places where you will spend a fair amount of time wondering where the trail is, especially if there is snow on the trees making the blazes very hard to find.

I hike the same sections all the time and even as familiar with them as I am they look completely different covered in snow and I still get turned around.

Take you a roll of flagging tape to use to mark a known location so if you get off the trail looking for the trail you can get back to where you were.

Even better is a gps with a track on it.

jerseydave
05-24-2011, 16:56
Great list, except:

The Pocket Rocket will not work in serious winter conditions*. The fuel will not vaporize at colder temps (the exact temp depends on the fuel mixture, but certainly by the mid-teens the stove will be next to useless.) The only canister fuel stoves that will work have an inverted canister system to provide liquid fuel to the stove, and a vaporization tube for the fuel. Otherwise bring a liquid fuel stove like a Whisperlite or similar.

(*Except at very high altitudes.)

I was under the impression that I'd be ok as long as I kept the canisters warmed a bit...... ie: sleeping bag, toss in a pocket for a bit..... no?

jerseydave
05-24-2011, 17:04
With a foot of snow on the trail there will be a lot of places where you will spend a fair amount of time wondering where the trail is, especially if there is snow on the trees making the blazes very hard to find.

I hike the same sections all the time and even as familiar with them as I am they look completely different covered in snow and I still get turned around.

Take you a roll of flagging tape to use to mark a known location so if you get off the trail looking for the trail you can get back to where you were.

Even better is a gps with a track on it.

Wouldn't consider it without my GPS, surveyors tape had crossed my mind as well...... I always carry a small strip with me now.

jerseydave
05-24-2011, 17:07
look at my gallery photos from a hike in march several years back it may give you an idea of what weather lurks out there in jan-march just be prepared

Great pics..... looks like fun, I've done that up here in NJ...... much more than that and it'd get exhausting fast.

How many miles did you average?

jd

jerseydave
05-24-2011, 17:09
snow was deep two winters ago. I did 13 miles thru fresh snow over knee deep & drifts deeper than my waist in GSMNP.

How long did that adventure take you?

Bati
05-24-2011, 17:15
Take the stove warning seriously. I carried a second lighter next to my skin because the one in my cookset froze easily. As mentioned above, a stove that can burn white gas works well. Your stove is not just something to give you a nice hot meal; it may become your source for melting water or part of first-aid kit when treating hypothermia. You'll want to make sure it works if you hit a cold spell.

And be careful of depending on battery-powered items such as a GPS; take a map and compass as a backup in case the batteries wear out in cold weather.

bigcranky
05-24-2011, 17:15
I was under the impression that I'd be ok as long as I kept the canisters warmed a bit...... ie: sleeping bag, toss in a pocket for a bit..... no?

Yeah, that helps. But I've had canister stoves fail completely in very cold temperatures. They just sit there and sputter. Test it first.

Nothing worse than no hot food when the temps get down to the single digits. Been there. Not fun.

10-K
05-24-2011, 18:38

Suggestion: Check out esbit. It's light, it's not temperature sensitive, it'll burn if you get it wet, it won't spill or leak, and if push comes to shove you can make a stove out of a few rocks or by digging a shallow impression in the ground.

Put a few strike anywhere matches in a baggie and you're guaranteed to be able to start a fire.

Suggestion 2: Take a few esbit tabs anyway as an emergency backup.