PDA

View Full Version : Loyalsack Trail In December

lazy river road
05-23-2011, 08:48
Hi all, I generally hang out over at Hammock Forums but wanted to know/learn information on the Loyalsack train in December. Who has hiked it, is it a good winter hike, is water available or is it all frozen. Any and all general information pertaining to this trail especially during winter would be very helpful. Thank all
LRR

nox
05-23-2011, 18:20
I hiked it last november and there was plenty of water, it was during a fairly warm week though..There are a few steep inclines and declines that when are snow covered can get real fun. There are also a lot of hunters in that area so make sure you wear some orange. I didn't see a single one while I was hiking but their trucks were parked at every road crossing.... Were you at the NJ hang this year?

Toolshed
05-23-2011, 20:13
Been backpacking on sections in November and March. But also for reference,, I have Snowshoed chunks of the STS, BFT and WRT in winter on overnight backpack trips...
- Expect to see no one.
- Expect that it might be a dicey drive to W/E SP
- Expect that you might need stabilizers or yaktraks in spots, if you don't have snowshoes. This is a true footpath, not a blazed over logging or tote road.
- you are on your own there as hunting camps that the trail passes will all be closed up.
Thee are plenty of running streams, so melting is not required unless you don't feel like hiking down to a bank to get water. I have never seen a stream frozen over completely in Northern PA.

lazy river road
05-23-2011, 21:24
Thanks Nox, Some good info you offered up very appreciated. And Yes I was at the NJ hang this year were you their? I'm sure we meet then.

And Toolshed thankee as well. I will be more then happy to see no one :). This is one of my two week vacations out of the year and some solitude is always nice. I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle so ill keep my fingers crossed that the roads arent impassable when I plan my vacation. I also plan on using a shuttle but I'll work that out as it gets closer. I just hope their run that time of year. I have snowshoes as well as Neo's with spikes in them. And I'm hoping their is enough snow to use the snow shoes. And from what I understand this trail is fairly well blazed. What do you mean by a "true footpath, not a blazed over logging or tote road?. Is it as blazed as the AT? Is their back country navigation, I was under the impression their was not. I also plan on hammocking so where ever I can find two trees and a water source I'm good to camp. I have the trail guide and maps coming to me in the mail very soon so once I get them I'll have a much better Idea of what the trail is like.

mweinstone
05-23-2011, 21:34
loyal sox trail rocks anytime. for the beginner. you never qite get out of earshot of cars. thats my only issue . but for the beginner, as i was on it, its real nice. water aint so great, but plausable. has alot of iron.

The Solemates
05-23-2011, 22:34
havent done loyalsock, but i hike on the MST every year thanksgiving week. 75% of the time this is in winter conditions. one year it dropped below 0. but last year it was warm the entire time. its kind of hit or miss. anyways...im always looking for a partner if you are interested. this year im hiking sat night - wed.

lazy river road
05-24-2011, 12:12
havent done loyalsock, but i hike on the MST every year thanksgiving week. 75% of the time this is in winter conditions. one year it dropped below 0. but last year it was warm the entire time. its kind of hit or miss. anyways...im always looking for a partner if you are interested. this year im hiking sat night - wed.

Thanks Solemates, I plan on hiking loyalsock between December 25 and December 31 st. I wont have the time over thanks giving to do any hiking so I wont be able to join you then but if you can do the loyalsock trail during the dates I posted I'm always looking for a trail friend. I'm hoping it's colder then warmer one of the reasons I am going to PA to get cooler temps cause I love deep winter camping. It be great if it got down to 0 Ive only been down to 14 before and would love to put that 0 notch on my belt.