PDA

View Full Version : Taking my cat on the trail.

tolkien
05-23-2011, 08:54
Hear me out here, I'm serious. This isn't a joke. I'm contimplating taking my cat. He's healthy and friendly enough for it.

I'd put a torso harness on it because they slip out of colars.

I'd haul food for it, it eats far less than the dog even though they're the same size. The food weight wouldn't be much.

I'd keep it out of shelters (unless people wanted it to eat mice) and burry any waste.

I'd only take it on a three day hike, to test it out.

Advice?

d.o.c
05-23-2011, 08:56
go for it... sgt meowstein would like an adventure.

sbhikes
05-23-2011, 08:59
You should bring a dog and a rat, too.

Mags
05-23-2011, 09:19
Talk to Jim Adams here on WB. He brought his cat Ziggy with him on the AT back in '93 or so I believe. Seriously.

Scratch
05-23-2011, 09:23
search youtube for backpacking kitty. You'll find a couple who backpacked from Florida to South America with a cat. I think it's an awesome idea. If I thought my cats could handle it, I'd do the same.

10-K
05-23-2011, 10:06
Do it, why not. You might even stand a chance in a shelter at night.

scope
05-23-2011, 10:24
Bear bait?

Rocket Jones
05-23-2011, 11:06
Not sure, but didn't I read something about felines being highly sensitive to Premethrin? Could be an issue if kitty is near someone wearing treated clothing.

Dogwood
05-23-2011, 13:20
How much wt can an avg house cat haul? Humm! I might have an idea.

PACK CATS!

I'll dangle a live mouse in front of them to keep them moving.

Nean
05-23-2011, 14:03
Talk to Jim Adams here on WB. He brought his cat Ziggy with him on the AT back in '93 or so I believe. Seriously.

I think it was 90 or 91 but no matter- Ziggy made the trip- but didn't hike, rather rode atop Geeks pack...;):)

Sterling
05-23-2011, 16:20
Thats a sacked idea, contimplated it myself
no advice other than good luck!

Prov
05-23-2011, 16:32
Last year while tenting it at Greasy Creek Gap during a thunderstorm, I was awakened by a horrible, horrible noise. I opened up my tent to find a cat sitting on a log, looking right at me and letting out the most pitiful noise I have ever heard. This was a well-fed, non-scraggly cat. I tried to get it to come into the vestibule, so at least it could be dry, but it wouldn't budge. It continued making this loud howling all night. In the morning it was gone.

I told this story to a hiker that I met at a shelter two days later. When he had walked through the gap, he was hit with a terrible smell. There was a man burning a bag of cat food in the fire ring.

I have no idea what this has to do with hiking with a cat, it is just one of my more unusual moments on the trail. :D

Knocky
05-23-2011, 20:50
if things go wrong, you can always just eat it. :rolleyes:

Jim Adams
05-24-2011, 09:06
I would try the 3 day hike but thru hiking...that's a whole other ordeal.

I got Ziggy by accident...it wasn't a planned thing and after the river trip I was going to send him home but decided I would try the hike for a little while to see how he did....and he did great ....BUT, Ziggy grew up in the camps on the river and didn't know about having a house other than the occassional hotel room. He was neutered and wouldn't "roam" much. He knew how to handle himself in the woods, how to protect himself and the easiest way to accomplish things. I had a great trip. I miss Ziggy terribly and wish he were still around. He was one of the best friends that I ever had but I doubt if I would do it again. The stars were right for Ziggy's hike. It would be next to impossible to find another cat to be, act and live the same. I'm not trying to sound like it couldn't be done but it will be far more difficult than you think.
I carried a pound of dry cat food and an a small water bowl. I gave Ziggy a can of moist cat food every day that we were in town...he also had alot of fresh meat in mice. The biggest problem is getting used to sleeping on top of a pack all day...or the lack of sleep. Most cats sleep 18-20 hours per day. Ziggy learned to be awake 16 hours per day and sleep on the pack when ever he wanted to. If you are planning on the cat hiking (walking) forget it. They hide under stuff if it is raining. They chase bugs, snakes and birds and don't hike your speed. An external pack with a cedar shingle across the top of the frame will give the cat something to dig their claws into and you can pull a rain cover over the frame in rain to keep them dry. I also put Ziggy on a short leash so that he couldn't fall off the pack while sleeping. He could climb all over the pack but couldn't fall off making it easy to climb back to the top...he would slide off while sleeping about once every 3 days and catch himself.

The second biggest problem is keeping them from over heating in exposed areas...sunny and cool was not a problem (Whites) but sunny and hot was a major problem (open fields)...and he "told" me everytime it was a problem. He also had a different meow when he had to urinate or have a bowel movement...you need to learn how to talk to your cat and what it is saying.

Foxes and coyotes LOVE cat...Ziggy didn't take any $hit from dogs, in fact most times he acted more like a dog than a cat but he knew what was dangerous and what wasn't. There were plenty of nights that he sat around the fire watching "things" out in the dark that I could never see.
He loved to swim. He obeyed commands. I learned about 15 different meows so that I knew what he wanted and HE CAME EVERYTIME I CALLED HIM!
Try the 3 day thing and have alot of fun with your cat but be advised...it ain't like hiking with a dog!
Good luck and let me know how it went.

geek

Chubbs4U
05-24-2011, 15:02
I would try the 3 day hike but thru hiking...that's a whole other ordeal.

I got Ziggy by accident...it wasn't a planned thing and after the river trip I was going to send him home but decided I would try the hike for a little while to see how he did....and he did great ....BUT, Ziggy grew up in the camps on the river and didn't know about having a house other than the occassional hotel room. He was neutered and wouldn't "roam" much. He knew how to handle himself in the woods, how to protect himself and the easiest way to accomplish things. I had a great trip. I miss Ziggy terribly and wish he were still around. He was one of the best friends that I ever had but I doubt if I would do it again. The stars were right for Ziggy's hike. It would be next to impossible to find another cat to be, act and live the same. I'm not trying to sound like it couldn't be done but it will be far more difficult than you think.
I carried a pound of dry cat food and an a small water bowl. I gave Ziggy a can of moist cat food every day that we were in town...he also had alot of fresh meat in mice. The biggest problem is getting used to sleeping on top of a pack all day...or the lack of sleep. Most cats sleep 18-20 hours per day. Ziggy learned to be awake 16 hours per day and sleep on the pack when ever he wanted to. If you are planning on the cat hiking (walking) forget it. They hide under stuff if it is raining. They chase bugs, snakes and birds and don't hike your speed. An external pack with a cedar shingle across the top of the frame will give the cat something to dig their claws into and you can pull a rain cover over the frame in rain to keep them dry. I also put Ziggy on a short leash so that he couldn't fall off the pack while sleeping. He could climb all over the pack but couldn't fall off making it easy to climb back to the top...he would slide off while sleeping about once every 3 days and catch himself.

The second biggest problem is keeping them from over heating in exposed areas...sunny and cool was not a problem (Whites) but sunny and hot was a major problem (open fields)...and he "told" me everytime it was a problem. He also had a different meow when he had to urinate or have a bowel movement...you need to learn how to talk to your cat and what it is saying.

Foxes and coyotes LOVE cat...Ziggy didn't take any $hit from dogs, in fact most times he acted more like a dog than a cat but he knew what was dangerous and what wasn't. There were plenty of nights that he sat around the fire watching "things" out in the dark that I could never see.
He loved to swim. He obeyed commands. I learned about 15 different meows so that I knew what he wanted and HE CAME EVERYTIME I CALLED HIM!
Try the 3 day thing and have alot of fun with your cat but be advised...it ain't like hiking with a dog!
Good luck and let me know how it went.

geek

Awesome...

WILLIAM HAYES
05-24-2011, 15:16
leave it at home dont want a cat peeing on my backpack

tolkien
05-24-2011, 17:04
Yea, my cat is a bit of a suburbanite-yuppie cat. I don't think he would make it. I'll leave it at home.

Lilred
05-24-2011, 17:50
I doubt you'd have to bury it's poop. They do that all on their own.

blackbird04217
05-24-2011, 19:15
Geek - I am typically more a dog person, but find your experience with Ziggy quite amazing. I know my cat, although she acts like a puppy, would not handle outside / camping very well. Like you said, the kitten would have to be conditioned that way from the start. That said, inspiring.

Dogwood
05-24-2011, 19:26
That was a great story Jim. It also brings up issues that many who want to hike with their pets/animals fail to think about.

I also enjoyed many of the well written and hopefully enlightening posts by Baltimore Jack, and others, about some of the things to consider when desiring to hike with a dog.

stranger
05-25-2011, 01:34
Sharp cat claws on a tent floor sounds interesting, I do think a cat would be more welcome than a dog these days, and although I would be happy to see either animal, I wouldn't bring one on a hike, but that's just me.

Jim Adams
05-25-2011, 07:08
I never had claw problems with Ziggy in the tent. I would leave the corner unzipped about 6" so that he could come and go as needed.

geek

Handschin
05-25-2011, 09:53
Geek your story is truly awesome. I would love to take my cat except she is large and well I will just be blunt fat.:eek:

ShelterLeopard
05-25-2011, 10:02
Hear me out here, I'm serious. This isn't a joke. I'm contimplating taking my cat. He's healthy and friendly enough for it.

I'd put a torso harness on it because they slip out of colars.

I'd haul food for it, it eats far less than the dog even though they're the same size. The food weight wouldn't be much.

I'd keep it out of shelters (unless people wanted it to eat mice) and burry any waste.

I'd only take it on a three day hike, to test it out.

Advice?

I really wanted to do this myself. But, it is insanely hard to know how a cat will take the change of lifestyle. They are creatures of comfort, after all... Just be careful- I know of a hiker who adopted a cat on trail, and the cat ended up riding on top of his pack! (Which sounds awesome...)

Amanita
05-25-2011, 11:48
I met a couple in New York a couple weeks ago with a cat. Said they were taking the AT down to georgia and then hiking on to florida. To be honest it seemed like a horrible idea. They said the cat would hike on a leash a few miles a day, but after that had to be carried. When I got to the shelter they had their tent set up in the shelter, the cat slept in the tent with them.

World-Wide
05-25-2011, 12:57
[QUOTE=tolkien;1163294]Hear me out here, I'm serious. This isn't a joke. I'm contimplating taking my cat. He's healthy and friendly enough for it.

Thought you were brining your goldfish!! :-? W-W

Jack Tarlin
05-25-2011, 13:28
Most folks who know me well know that I'm a kitty cat person. I just spent a week at Kincora getting to know Bob's nine (yeah, NINE) kitties and it was a ball.

I know Geek's story well, and it's a great one. I also know three other people in recent years who have done large sections of the Trail with a kitty.

It is my considered opinion that hiking with a cat is a really lousy idea, mainly because of the threat from hiker dogs (universally poorly Trail-trained or badly supervised) never mind the threat from wild animals, i.e coyotes, owls, etc.

People that truly love their cats would do well to leave them at home.

TIDE-HSV
05-25-2011, 19:45
I never had claw problems with Ziggy in the tent. I would leave the corner unzipped about 6" so that he could come and go as needed.

geek

We lost a cat two years ago, at the age of around 18.5 years, that had adopted us from the state park nearby. She was rough and ready and was fascinated with any fire - camp fire, wood stove, you name it. She was also very good at providing for herself. I'm pretty sure she considered us as hopelessly stupid and she, herself, was the smartest cat I've been around. She had an extensive vocabulary, some of the sounds mimicking human (ee-ow, for "out"). If any cat could have made it, she could have...

hikerboy57
05-26-2011, 07:25
In NY, a man was sentenced to 6 yrs in prison for setting his cat on fire. he said he did it because he was bored. Please bring a deck of cards with you as well.or dominoes or something.

veteran
05-26-2011, 07:44
Ziggy and Jim Adams

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/9/0/7/Geek.jpg

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 11:36
you should make a vidieo if you do it