PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Mapsource Topo vs Roads and Recreation

gpaddle
01-29-2005, 01:45
Anyone have experience with eithther Mapsource product?

I was wondering which is better for AT reference.

Happy Feet
01-30-2005, 20:58
I have the Garmin eTrex Vista and use Mapsource Topo. Personally I think the Topo is pretty lame. The Delorme Topo USA software looks pretty cool and is compatible with my unit. If I were to spend money on softward over again, I wouldn't waste it on Mapsource.You certainly don't NEED a GPS unit for the AT. If you just want to take it to play with, I bet you'll be sending it home.

gpaddle
01-30-2005, 21:04
HF, does Topo show the AT and shelter locations?

The Old Fhart
01-30-2005, 21:37
gpaddle, To get the coordinates (waypoints) for all the shelters on the trail click here. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/gis/GPSdata.html) The ATC web site has this data in several formats that can used on your PC mapping software or downloaded to your handheld GPS receiver.

As much of a techno-geek as I am, I don't think that thru-hiking the A.T. with a GPS is worth the effort. I have absolutely nothing against GPS on the trail and use one on shorter trips and for geocaching. I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum with their topo software and it is pretty good but none of the GPS maping software will replace paper maps for detail.