PDA

View Full Version : Ula Packs

Bags4266
05-23-2011, 09:50
Does anyone know if they do custom work? I would like an OHM pack with a upper mesh pocket on one side. Other than me calling them cause I am not ready to pull the pin just yet I was wondering if someone had custom work done. thanks

Buffalo Skipper
05-23-2011, 10:48
I sent an email 2 months ago implying the desire for custom work, and the reply from Chris McMaster was a polite: "We don't do any custom work anymore...."

Buffalo Skipper
05-23-2011, 10:50
I should add, that I did order a ULA Circuit a month later, and I have been very satisified with the pack so far, but I have not taken it on a backpack trip, yet.

tuswm
05-23-2011, 11:29
I ordered a ULA OHM about a month ago with a few modifications, not only were they willing to do it, they had me call the seamstresses call phone number to make sure he got the details right. They had it shipped to me that day and I had it 24 hours later. They also told me that the ULA was so light that they could ship it priority or something for only $2 extra over the 10 day shipping.

tuswm
05-23-2011, 11:30
oh and they did not charge me for modifications either.

d.o.c
05-23-2011, 11:48
thats whats up ^ .... i am more than satisfied with my circuit ive had it for a few years a thru hike and more weeklong trips then i can count and the packs still goin strong.

Bags4266
05-23-2011, 11:59
Wow thats weird, two different posters ask for mods almost at the same time... One time they say no and another yes. I wonder if it depends on the type of mod!

tuswm
05-23-2011, 12:04
ULA OHM
Well mine was simple but it did require a new pack be started from scratch.

mod 1 on the bottom 2 small straps for foam sleeping pad

mod 2 I am a swimmer and often find that shoulder straps are not long enough to go over my shoulders so I asked for longer should straps. ( even my osprey atmos is maxed out)

tuswm
05-23-2011, 12:06
Dude what is the worst that could happen, they say no and you find someone else that will. It cant hurt to call and ask. also I was given advice on shipping that wasn't on the web site.

Bags4266
05-23-2011, 12:14
dude I not ready to buy just yet and don't want to waste the guys time yet

tuswm
05-23-2011, 12:22
This is a pack, I wish i would have considered. I like the idea that it has a metal hoop that can be curved to fit your back. The ULA carbon might be lighter but its not curable and you can feel the difference.

bigcranky
05-23-2011, 12:23
Call anyway, or email -- I don't think they'll consider it a waste of time. You're a potential customer with a question -- they deal with those all day long.

Buffalo Skipper
05-23-2011, 12:25
Wow thats weird, two different posters ask for mods almost at the same time... One time they say no and another yes. I wonder if it depends on the type of mod!

I think you are right. My request was for additional padding on a hip belt. I only posted part of Chris' reply. The rest was a comment that no complaints had been received on the level of padding on the hip belt.

Again, though I have not had my ULA out yet, I have had it loaded, and I am satisified that the hip belt appears to be more comfortable than my previous pack. Though this may also come from 30ish% reduction in total pack weight. I was neither dissatisified with Chris' response nor with the Circuit I have purchased. :sun

skinewmexico
05-23-2011, 16:41
dude I not ready to buy just yet and don't want to waste the guys time yet

That's the beauty of buying a product made in the USA. They like it when you call. Great guys.

Singletrack
05-23-2011, 16:50
You Circuit owners, do you use the aluminumn stay that inserts on the inside of the back pad? Does it really make a difference on how well the Circuit carries? Just wondered.

bigcranky
05-23-2011, 19:36
Yes, and yes. Very much so. Tried it both ways. The stay not only adds more support, but it curves the pack so it matches my back. My Ohm doesn't have the additional stay and it gets kind of barrel-shaped and not as comfortable.

Singletrack
05-23-2011, 20:26
Yes, and yes. Very much so. Tried it both ways. The stay not only adds more support, but it curves the pack so it matches my back. My Ohm doesn't have the additional stay and it gets kind of barrel-shaped and not as comfortable.

Thanks, I also shaped mine to my back, and felt like it added additional support. Glad to know others have also. Just confirms what I felt.

stranger
05-23-2011, 22:53
On custom work, adding foam to a existing hipbelt design means essentially building another hipbelt entirely, you cannot simply add foam...

On the other hand, asking them to skip a step like no hipbelt pockets is far more of a realistic request, as it does not require them to design something.

I don't think the average person has any concept of how much ANY custom request can derail a production line. If you make your request in line with what they already do (ie use 3/4 webbing instead of 1 inch) you are far more likely to get a yes. They built me a hipbelt without pockets about 18 months ago, no problem.

On the stay, make sure you bend it properly or have someone bend it for you, the ULA pre-bend is terrible for the average person

Buffalo Skipper
05-25-2011, 10:55
On custom work, adding foam to a existing hipbelt design means essentially building another hipbelt entirely, you cannot simply add foam...

On the other hand, asking them to skip a step like no hipbelt pockets is far more of a realistic request, as it does not require them to design something.

I don't think the average person has any concept of how much ANY custom request can derail a production line. If you make your request in line with what they already do (ie use 3/4 webbing instead of 1 inch) you are far more likely to get a yes. They built me a hipbelt without pockets about 18 months ago, no problem.

On the stay, make sure you bend it properly or have someone bend it for you, the ULA pre-bend is terrible for the average person

Chris' response was satisfactory to me. In fact, 3 weeks later, I ordered a Circuit. Though I have not yet hiked with the pack, I have 2x taken it car camping and I am very satisified with the pack. I am sure Chris was correct when he explained that I would not need additional padding.

singing wind
05-25-2011, 23:51
Singletrack - on using the aluminum stay in a Circuit:
Yes, when I finally put in in the pack, a heavier load seemed to carry better overall, but I'm still experimenting with it. I did bend the stay to better fit my body shape and load carrying preferences. Is it worth the extra 2 oz. or so? Still thinking about it, as the pack was ok without it. YMMV.

leaftye
05-26-2011, 12:59
I hope they will do some custom work as I just requested that they do a custom hipbelt for me that has at least one big quart size pocket.

Bags4266
05-26-2011, 13:03
I e-mailed them requesting the extra pocket on the side, they got back with the same responce... sorry no more custom orders. So when or if I order the OHM I will sew my own pocket on the side. Won't be as pretty but I'm sure it will work just fine.