PDA

View Full Version : pack weight and food

southern fossil
05-23-2011, 09:59
Hi guys my husband and I plan on hiking the Colorado trail at the end of June. He is carrying the tent and we split everything else. How heavy do you think our packs should be for 10 day no re-supply?

Also what kind of food would you suggest to take? How much? Also would pepperoni last a week that is already cut into pieces. (the bags)

He hiked the trail last year and this is new to me as far as 10 days.

Thanks!

Mags
05-23-2011, 12:26
FWIW, when I did an 11day strtetch on the PCT (solo, no shared equipment, an ice axe and 1 ltr of water) it was 41 lbs.

So, figure ~2 lbs of food per day (roughly; I was in 700 miles in so my food weight was a tad more ) or 15-20lbs to your base pack weight.

Hope that helps!

southern fossil
05-23-2011, 12:40
Thanks. It does!

Nean
05-23-2011, 14:17
Hi guys my husband and I plan on hiking the Colorado trail at the end of June. He is carrying the tent and we split everything else. How heavy do you think our packs should be for 10 day no re-supply?

Also what kind of food would you suggest to take? How much? Also would pepperoni last a week that is already cut into pieces. (the bags)

He hiked the trail last year and this is new to me as far as 10 days.

Thanks!

I wouldn't compare too much with Mags as he is a very experienced long distance backpacker. (let us know what your pack weights w/ 10 days!!;):D) I would not carry ten days of food as you can resupply sooner. Depending on several factors- 41 lbs is pretty heavy for most. Are you hiking the Colorado Trail or a section of the CT ? Late June can be a little early for higher sections. Yes- your pepperoni will keep.:)

Mags
05-23-2011, 14:24
Good point Nean. :)

Probably not wise to carry 10 days of food for the average person. :D

5 days of food may be more doable. Esp since other than the Creede/Lake city area, resupply is fairly easy on the CT.

The ~2lbs/food day is still a useful benchmark, though.

southern fossil
05-24-2011, 08:47
We are going from Breckenridge to Salida.

We are doing to stop at leadville and Princeton hot springs. We are only going to do no more then 15 miles a day.

We would like to go further maybe another week or less after Salida that but I heard it was harder to get a ride back to the airport.

Also Do you think we will have alot of snow in that park at the end of june.

As far as food was thinking about cereal with powdered milk, pepperoni and cheese and trail mix for snacks, ramen for lunch and freeze dried meals for dinner.

southern fossil
05-24-2011, 08:56
correction

Breckenridge Start
Buana Vista first stop
Princton Hot springs

Salida last stop

Mags
05-24-2011, 09:17
It's going to be a higher snow year, the end of June will still have some lingering snow. How much? All depends on the snowmelt rate in the coming month.

Have fun!