PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pull out in Elk Park

jbsbestfan
05-23-2011, 13:17
I am going to be taking some scouts for a 3 night trip starting at Roan High Bluff next week, and the way our schedule looks, we want to pull off somewhere past HWY 19E without backtracking. I looked for one of the backroad crossings past the Mountaineer shelter but couldnt find them over the weekend. I also went to Elk (River) Falls and tried to find a cut through for the trail and couldn't find one. Does anyone know where the trail might intersect with the forest service road near Elk River Falls? Also, does anyone know what the name of the road that crosses the AT above Bitter End? I am afraid that this might be private property. Thanks for your help.

peakbagger
05-23-2011, 15:08
The area just north of US 19 E has a history of bad relationships with the AT. There was a major relocation to get the trail away from the area in question. Bob Peoples of Kincora has worked for many years to get things calmed down with many of the folks in the area but there is still bad blood. I expect he may be the best person to talk to on your plan.

Tennessee Viking
05-23-2011, 16:06
There is an maintainers access. I will PM you. But I would not recommend parking at Elk River Falls overnight.