PDA

View Full Version : Food for those who don't want to cook.

tolkien
05-23-2011, 18:14
I'm planning a hike in a week or so, and I've heard from many people that stoves are a pain to maintain and fuel is another thing to look after. I don't want to deal with that.

This means my main source of hiker food, pasta and rice, is no longer an option. What are some good options for food that doesn't need to be cooked?

I "developed" a granola bar that crams 5000 calories into a 9x9 slab. Some of that, and dried fruit and dried meat should get me through a 2-3 day hike in virginia.

Input?

mweinstone
05-23-2011, 18:40
no comment........

wait!

no...........no comment.

wait!

no.

Pringles
05-23-2011, 18:46
I remember some old backpacking book where the author told of some CCC workers. They'd worked hard all week, and wanted to go explore some of the park they had been working on during the weekend or some break. They gathered some stuff--blankets and jackets and the like, but they didn't have any food. Someone told them they couldn't go out into the wilds without food. They responded that they hadn't had money for food when they were at home lots of times, so it wouldn't be an issue here, either. They might have considered what you planned luxurious.

For three days, take what you've planned. If you're hungry, eat it. If not, don't. Make changes as necessary next time. Pringles

hikerboy57
05-23-2011, 19:33
get an MSR pocket rocket, and a small canister. , cook the granola bar, and add bacon. the stove is reliable, doesnt take up much space, and you'll enjoy your 3 day much more.especially bacon.

malowitz
05-23-2011, 21:53
Tolkien - I thru'd last year w/out a stove from Boiling Springs on and even before that I didn't cook much. My staples were:

Oatmeal Creme Pies
Peanut M&Ms
Nature's Valley Granola Bars
Bagels (especially the big 6-pack)
Reeses Pieces
Out of town, I'd usually carry two apples - one for each of the next days
Out of town, I'd carry some hard cheese - I liked the individual Craker Barrell ones
Peanut Butter - carried some for most of the hike
Nutella - carried for about 3 weeks - grew tired of it
Turkey Pepperoni - didn't carry after the half-way mark

And other stuff would get thrown in there from town to town like the nearly 1,000 calorie cinnamon bun that wasn't very good.

tolkien
05-23-2011, 22:01
Tolkien - I thru'd last year w/out a stove from Boiling Springs on and even before that I didn't cook much. My staples were:

Oatmeal Creme Pies
Peanut M&Ms
Nature's Valley Granola Bars
Bagels (especially the big 6-pack)
Reeses Pieces
Out of town, I'd usually carry two apples - one for each of the next days
Out of town, I'd carry some hard cheese - I liked the individual Craker Barrell ones
Peanut Butter - carried some for most of the hike
Nutella - carried for about 3 weeks - grew tired of it
Turkey Pepperoni - didn't carry after the half-way mark

And other stuff would get thrown in there from town to town like the nearly 1,000 calorie cinnamon bun that wasn't very good.
Store-bought granola bars are expensive and very packaging-dense, aren't they? Are health food stores better?

garlic08
05-23-2011, 22:01
Cereal made with rolled or quick oats, nuts, dried fruit, and/or powdered milk
Tortillas or bagels
Cheese and/or peanut butter
Crackers
Dried hummus mix
Ramen, noodles only
Fig Newtons
Instant potatoes in cold water
Instant refried beans in cold water with corn chips
Carrots, celery, peppers, apples
Pop tarts, Little Debbie brownies, Honey Buns, etc
Deli sandwiches or leftover pizza the first day

brian039
05-23-2011, 22:02
I've never heard of anyone having to do any maintenance on a stove and fuel is at every resupply.

garlic08
05-23-2011, 22:03
I forgot to list cashews and raisins.

Rain Man
05-23-2011, 22:08
What are some good options for food that doesn't need to be cooked?

Bread and cheese. Bread and peanut butter, etc.

Old El Paso Totilla Stuffers.

Jerky.

Gorp.

Carnation Instant Breakfast with Nido.

Cereal with Nido.

Stops at stores and restaurants. :)

Rain:sunMan

tolkien
05-23-2011, 22:09
On my thruhike next year I plan on taking, mainly:
Granola Bars
Assorted Nuts
Bread with Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter if I can find it) and Nuttella
Chocolate
Dried Fruit
Dried Meat
Fresh Fruit/Veggies and Cheese, eaten quickly of course.

Walkintom
05-23-2011, 23:17
Another thing that I like to carry is tuna in the foil packs(with water, not oil). Eaten straight from the pack or mixed in with Fritos it is pretty tasty out on the trail.

ChinMusic
05-24-2011, 00:07
Spam, beef sticks, and lots of string cheese.

skooch
05-24-2011, 09:47
Another thing that I like to carry is tuna in the foil packs(with water, not oil). Eaten straight from the pack or mixed in with Fritos it is pretty tasty out on the trail.

mmm fritos. good idea for peanut butter too. good scoopers that don't crush easily. :)

skooch
05-24-2011, 09:51
I added Cracklin Oat Bran cereal to my gorp. they are mini granola bars. check out any cereal that is large pieces.

skooch
05-24-2011, 09:51
I forgot to list cashews and raisins.

listen to this guy. thanks again garlic

naturejunkie
05-24-2011, 10:23
Fritos also double as an emergency fire starter. They burn like a wick.

the goat
05-24-2011, 10:28
bagels, peanut butter, cheese, pepperoni, tuna

max patch
05-24-2011, 10:57
You won't need to do any "maintenance" on a stove on a 3 day hike or buy any additional fuel on a 3 day hike.

You don't even need to do any "maintenance" on a stove on a 6 month thru.

malowitz
05-24-2011, 12:36
Store-bought granola bars are expensive and very packaging-dense, aren't they? Are health food stores better?

I have no idea on price. Simplicity rules.

Two things I forgot to list:

Tuna - the foil packet that people have mentioned. By the 2nd half of my hike, was probably eating 5 of these a week. Very tasty.

Kellog's Mile and Cereal Bars/nutrigrain/etc. This was my usual breakfast. The Milk and Cereal bars were my preference, but not always available.

Tenderheart
05-24-2011, 13:56
Peanut butter and nutella on a bagel or tortilla. It's like a Resse's. Totally agree with no stove. You also need less water since you're not cooking and cleaning.

Raul Perez
05-24-2011, 16:32
Contact tuts9999 either on youtube or here. He did the AT without cooking.

Hooch
05-24-2011, 16:43
. . . . I've heard from many people that stoves are a pain to maintain and fuel is another thing to look after. . . . I heard the world was gonna come to an end last Saturday, but it didn't. This is my point: don't believe everything you hear. Experience is the best teacher. Try it for yourself and see how a stove works for you. Experiement with a few different types and models (white gas, propane, alcohol, etc) and develop your own, well informed opinion instead of relying on "what you heard".

tolkien
05-24-2011, 17:11
Alright, let me rephrase. I don't feel like hauling around a stove, fuel, dishes, water and soap to clean them, etc. And I don't feel like spending more money on fuel. From my own experiences with camping stoves and from what I've read, from preparation to boiling to cleaning and packing way, a cooked meal takes about twenty minutes, although I've heard half an hour, too.
Plus, stoves are for boiling water for pasta and coffee. I don't think caffine is healthy, especially when you're subjecting your body to the various stresses of hiking 10-15 miles a day, and relying on pasta for nutrition is a bad idea. Not brining a stove would make eating better foods like nuts and dried fruits/meats a requirement, and you'd get a more varied diet. Now, that's a theory, but I think stoves are unnessecary.

Hooch
05-24-2011, 17:30
. . . .From my own experiences with camping stoves. . . . Camping stoves or backpacking stoves? There's a big difference, ya know.

For the record, beginning of stove set-up to eating, I can have a meal prepared in less than 10 minutes with zero dishes to do afterward. So that argument holds about as much water as a spaghetti strainer. :rolleyes:

skooch
05-24-2011, 17:38
People like to cook while camping. To them it's part of the fun. I don't. I look forward to a restaurant meal when I resupply. I know I eat better stoveless. To each his own.

Raul Perez
05-24-2011, 18:01
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tuts999

BAM!... give him a shout he's very helpful.

MuddyWaters
05-24-2011, 19:25
Even on a 2-3 day hike hot coffee is nice in the morning and at night, even without hot food. Hot food is psychological, its like fires. It is deeply ingrained in the human psyche, we feel better with a fire, and with hot food. I wouldnt doubt that there are measureable physiological effects too from it.

But for 2-3 days there are plenty of cold food choice.

Dont understand the hassle you afraid of. Use an alcohols stove, boil water. Rehydrate in freezer bag in cozy. Lick spoon clean, zip bag closed and put in garbage ziplock. Done. Cleanup??

Yes it will take 20 min though. What else do you plan to do with that time?

stranger
05-24-2011, 19:54
Agreed, cooking annoys me as well, last thing I want to do after walking all day is cook some lame noodle dish, I just want to eat some dry food and go to sleep.

Most people who cook anyway eat those crappy dried noodle sides from Lipton/Korrs, not exactly exciting. Some people get into cooking and eat well, I don't spend enough time in camp to entertain such thoughts, nor do I get much satisfaction from cooking in general, so that doesn't work for me.

Cooking also means carry a stove, cook pots, pot holder, windscreen, lighter, pot stand, fuel, fuel bottle, etc...

Cooking means water, for both cooking and cleaning, and I don't know about you guys but cookpots are frustrating to pack as well.

Or just eat dry food, makes sense to me!

tolkien
05-24-2011, 20:17
Agreed, cooking annoys me as well, last thing I want to do after walking all day is cook some lame noodle dish, I just want to eat some dry food and go to sleep.

Most people who cook anyway eat those crappy dried noodle sides from Lipton/Korrs, not exactly exciting. Some people get into cooking and eat well, I don't spend enough time in camp to entertain such thoughts, nor do I get much satisfaction from cooking in general, so that doesn't work for me.

Cooking also means carry a stove, cook pots, pot holder, windscreen, lighter, pot stand, fuel, fuel bottle, etc...

Cooking means water, for both cooking and cleaning, and I don't know about you guys but cookpots are frustrating to pack as well.

Or just eat dry food, makes sense to me!
Exactly. If you don't carry a stove, you can't rely on borring, crappy, nutrient-poor pasta dishes. That's my main concern. Also, I don't want to carry a bunch of crap for the stove and water to boil the pasta in. Not worth it.

WingedMonkey
05-24-2011, 20:48
Exactly. If you don't carry a stove, you can't rely on borring, crappy, nutrient-poor pasta dishes. That's my main concern. Also, I don't want to carry a bunch of crap for the stove and water to boil the pasta in. Not worth it.

Repetition of food causes boredom, rather you cook it or not.

kolokolo
05-24-2011, 21:17
I did a 2 day hike last month with a dozen Snickers bars and a package of beef jerky. Bought a sandwich as I hiked through Boiling Springs, PA.

You'll be fine.

StubbleJumper
05-24-2011, 21:54
Carry and eat what you want. However, I find that I need a fair amount of salty snacks for my noon meal. Fritos have been mentioned already...I like the mixed snacks with pretzels, cheerios, shreddies, etc. And I also like cajun mix for a combination of flavour and salt. Peanut M&Ms are great when I don't crave salt, as are Reeses. Cheese is great because it's both fat and salty. I don't much care for granola bars, but that's just me.

As others have suggested, you can't beat a bagel slathered with peanut butter as a morning snack. They taste great and it's about 400 calories.

For supper, I like a hot meal because the bulk fills my stomach. Idahoan potatoes, mac and cheese, Stovetop Stuffing, couscous, whatever. Add in some tuna/salmon/chicken/bacon and you have a satisfying, bulky meal that will allow you to sleep through the night without waking up hungry. You don't actually get that many calories from the cooked meals, but a full stomach is very pleasant after a long day of walking.

blackbird04217
05-24-2011, 22:53
I'm not saying a stove is your thing or not, reading some of your concerns; price and multiple dishes/accessories I have a slightly different experience. I spent less than $25 my entire trip on alcohol for my stove, (this is an estimation but I didn't need to refill much at all). I had a single dish and single spoon, (once I did a pack shake down and mailed unnecessary things home from Neels Gap. I made my own stove from two soda cans- I didn't even get it properly lit from home before I hit the trial with it. I figured I'd learn quickly how to use it, and I did. I still have the stove, but if I was required to get another one, I would have just bought two sodas in town, had a good drink and simply made another - maintenance solved.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you into using alcohol or even a stove for that matter, I just want you aware that some of your points might not be as negative as they seem. If you don't have anything you want to cook- then by all means go cookless, but there is nothing like a cup of hot chocolate (I don't drink coffee) on a cold, wet spring morning, or a warm bowl of oatmeal for that matter.

Chop
05-24-2011, 23:52
I'm planning a hike in a week or so, and I've heard from many people that stoves are a pain to maintain and fuel is another thing to look after. I don't want to deal with that.

This means my main source of hiker food, pasta and rice, is no longer an option. What are some good options for food that doesn't need to be cooked?

I "developed" a granola bar that crams 5000 calories into a 9x9 slab. Some of that, and dried fruit and dried meat should get me through a 2-3 day hike in virginia.

Input?

Care to list the recipe/ingredients for the SuperSlab-5K? Would love to give that one a try.

LDog
05-24-2011, 23:54

No you could, instead, rely on nutrient-poor food that requires no cooking.

Making sure you get a variety of foods that provide all the nutrients you need is a choice that has nothing to do with whether or not you cook. Now, I'm not saying that going stoveless does not have it's merits, I'm just sayin' that to suggest that those who carry stoves eat only pasta dishes is like suggesting that those who go stoveless rely on Snickers bars.

Panzer1
05-25-2011, 00:17
Alright, let me rephrase. I don't feel like hauling around a stove, fuel, dishes, water and soap to clean them, etc. And I don't feel like spending more money on fuel.

If you have a problem hauling a stove, just wait until you have to haul a full backpack uphill. Hiking IS hauling.

Panzer

stranger
05-25-2011, 01:18
The point is...it's easier to hike without a stove than with one, it means you can hike later into the night, spend less time messing around camp, cooking and cleaning up, don't have to worry about fuel, eating in the rain is not an issue, etc

Let's not get overconsumed with minor details

garlic08
05-25-2011, 09:29
No you could, instead, rely on nutrient-poor food that requires no cooking.

Making sure you get a variety of foods that provide all the nutrients you need is a choice that has nothing to do with whether or not you cook. Now, I'm not saying that going stoveless does not have it's merits, I'm just sayin' that to suggest that those who carry stoves eat only pasta dishes is like suggesting that those who go stoveless rely on Snickers bars.

Ditto this! There are hikers who figure out nutrition and those who don't and it has nothing to do with what's in their packs.

I'm a confirmed stoveless thru hiker. I've hiked the CDT, the AT, the AZT, and the PNT without a stove and hiking stoveless has definitely improved my hiking. I'd have to reconsider my whole hiking and resupply style if someone ever made me carry a stove again. I look back on the days of fussing with a stove hunched over in the wind and rain or fighting a cloud of mosquitoes, eating warm, salty glop, cleaning up pot messes, and trying to find small amounts of fuel in small towns with nothing but displeasure. I learned about stoveless hiking from an impressive hiker I met on the PCT, and I wish I had heard about it earlier. Going stoveless great simplified my hikes, reduced my pack base weight and size, and almost completely eliminated the need for maildrops. If you can forgo the coffee, it's a great way to go.

DavidNH
05-25-2011, 09:43

Input?

Tolkein,

If you insist on not cooking at all.. you will be missing out on one of backpackings finest pleasures, hot foot at the end of the day. I urge you to reconsider.

Blissful
05-25-2011, 09:57
Poor crappy noodles I agree. That's why I do maildrops to add dehydrated veggies and meats to my meals. And also have sent to myself "turkey dinner", "beef stroganoff", pesto and tortollini, etc (and NOT $$$ Mountain House either)

But I'd say if you want to go no cook, then the best thing to do is try it on a short hike.

But I used my MSr pocket rocket for 3,200 miles maintenance free

Amanita
05-25-2011, 11:37
What stove to use or going stoveless is an entirely personal choice. Some people love stoveless, others can't imagine life without a hot meal.

I've found that going stoveless works well for me. It's less fuss at the end of the day. I will probably use a stove again for colder trips or trips with fewer resupplies, but carry and alcohol stove and plan on cooking maybe 1 meal every 2 days.

Stoveless foods I enjoy:

Kit Kats and Peanut butter - fat and salt, sugar and carbs. easy to eat when you've lost your appetite (the first 3 days for me). I bring haloween size kit kats and a 12 oz jar of peanut butter.

Peperoni - eat with rolls, bread, cheese, and crackers.

Cheese - harder cheese keeps better

GORP - add different fruits like craisins, dried apples, whatever you like. nut variety is good too.

Dried Fruit - apricots are my favorites. can be bought in packages or in the bulk section of a grocery store.

Pastries - whatever's on sale or strikes my fancy. Danish, strudel, doughnuts, croissants. Tasty even if they get a little smushed.

Bread products - bagels, rolls, bread ect. good with peanut butter, butter or peperoni and cheese.

Tip: I make sure the average of my food bag is 100+ calories per oz after fresh foods are removed. This helps keep my overall food weight down, because I can plan in calories (oz) per day.

Fresh Foods: on day 1-2 after ressuply I may bring heavier foods that will not keep as well.

Chicken sausage/ precooked meat- vaccum sealed meats will keep for up to 2 days without refrigeration if it's not too hot.

Yogurt - horribly heavy, if I hit town in the morning this may be lunch, if town was afternoon next morning's breakfast. Would not carry more than 1/2 a day.

Blueberries/fresh fruit - see yogurt

Sandwiches - from home or a deli

Leftovers - chinese take out plastic boxes are perfect for taking leftovers onto the trail. nothing like cold pizza, lasangna, or general tso's chicken at the top of a mountain after the long climb out of town.

MuddyWaters
05-25-2011, 19:48
meal replacement mixes come in handy, the kind weighlifters use to boost their calorie intake. (ie myoplex) Right at 100 cal/oz. 2.7oz packet with 40+ g high quality whey protein and complex carbohydrate, vitamins, etc. However the protein will make the bottle you mix in stink rapidly, even after rinsing out,unless washed with soap. (Just like milk).

An old adage from my weightlifting days is that "its easier to drink calories, than to eat them."

tolkien
05-25-2011, 19:58
Recipie for the Two-Day Granola Bar
4/3 Cup Rolled Oats (not chopped/quick oats)
2/3 Cup Sesamee Seeds husked, Sunflower Seeds unhusked, Sliced Almonds, Flax Meal, Chocolate Chips, Melted Butter
1/3 Cup Honey, Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, Oat Bran, Pecan Peices
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1 Tsp Allspice
325 for 25 min

Freaking awesome. Two days of calories, a day and a half of sodium, protien, and fats. I can fit it in a 9x9x1 slab. Only solid butter has a better calorie/weight ratio.

harryfred
05-25-2011, 21:01
I go stoveless in the warmer months as a hot meal at the end of the day does not mean as much and sometimes is not even wanted.

Flat bread, Flat bagels or bagles, tortillas or wraps.
Summer sausage, pepperoni, single serving lunch meat Buddig or Hebrew National (OK till it is open than eat all of it) Foil pouch tuna ( I can't stand regular but like all the season varieties) Foil pouch chicken, Single serving Spam, Beef sticks and jerky. Cold hot dogs Oscar Meyer has only four to a pack.
CHEESE and a lot of it what ever you like. If it is warm it just gets a little soft and oily but much more flavorful.
Peanut butter.
Jelly.
Honey.
Candy, Snickers are a favorite but you know what lives in the heat and what doesn't
Cookies What do you like oatmeal and peanut butter varieties are great for breakfast.
Cold cereal, I went three days in the Mojave on nothing but Cheerios. Add instant milk or Nido.
Fresh fruits and veggies apples peaches pears grapes plums all good for three days or better. I love cucumbers and baby carrots celery gets a little limp but is still good Broccoli and cauliflower last a couple of days. take along some of those dressing packs. Plum or the little tomatoes travel well keep them in the top of your pack.
Lemons, limes, oranges.
Dried fruit and that covers raisins.
Instant rice add water at lunch and it is good to eat at supper let your imagination season it. instant mashed potatoes add water and wait a few min. same.
NUTS, mixed nuts peanuts cashews.
Pretzels, corn chips corn nuts ect,
I could go on but so could you.

Panzer1
05-25-2011, 21:17
The point is...it's easier to hike without a stove than with one, it means you can hike later into the night, spend less time messing around camp, cooking and cleaning up, don't have to worry about fuel, eating in the rain is not an issue, etc

You can argue that with every piece of gear. Its really an ultralight-er argument.

Panzer

stranger
05-26-2011, 01:44
You can argue that with every piece of gear. Its really an ultralight-er argument.

Panzer

Really, how so?

Seen any threads about hiking without a backpack?

How about hiking without footwear?

Shelter?

Sleeping Bag?

I don't think you can can have that argument with everything with due respect.

Uncle Walkie
05-29-2011, 21:59
I say to each it's own, or as I've learned from this community HYOH

However...if you refuse to carry any type of stove, don't mooch a hot drink/bite from me on a cold and rainy day....well I'll probably offer anyway..but grudgingly so :rolleyes:

Chop
05-29-2011, 22:06
Recipie for the Two-Day Granola Bar
4/3 Cup Rolled Oats (not chopped/quick oats)
2/3 Cup Sesamee Seeds husked, Sunflower Seeds unhusked, Sliced Almonds, Flax Meal, Chocolate Chips, Melted Butter
1/3 Cup Honey, Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, Oat Bran, Pecan Peices
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1 Tsp Allspice
325 for 25 min

Freaking awesome. Two days of calories, a day and a half of sodium, protien, and fats. I can fit it in a 9x9x1 slab. Only solid butter has a better calorie/weight ratio.

Thanks! Will have to give it a try!

paradoxb3
05-31-2011, 13:15
i thru-hiked last year. i carried a coke-can alcohol stove i made at home before i left. there is no such thing as maintenance to a coke can. fuel was never not accessible in town, and in a pinch you can always burn some sticks to boil water. people overthink this topic way too much. its a non-issue to me.

HOWEVER if you're dead set on not carrying a stove, i met 2 guys that went stoveless. one the whole AT, the other that i hiked most of the trail with did it about halfway after he met the other guy and was inspired. he actually loved going stoveless. he would pick up uncle bens pre-cooked rice packets, throw in some packaged chicken, tuna, etc and top it off with some sauces/spices of his preference wrapped up in one of those fancy green or red tortillas. many of his dinners made me envious, but sometimes with crappy resupplies i felt sorry for him.

one thing to remember is theres always a trade-off. he got rid of the weight of the stove but balanced it out with having to carry heavier foods (pre-cooked rice as opposed to dry) and the cost of fuel was balanced out with the cost of more expensive foods. and if you're worrying about always being able to find fuel, well the opposite to that is being able to find decent no-cook food. sometimes your resupply is nothing more than a convenience market.

i suppose the only real advantage is that he could just sit down and eat with little to no preperation. if you dont mind never having a warm breakfast or dinner when its bitter cold, or having to eat lots of honey buns, beef jerky, or ramen in a gatorade bottle then thats fine. to each their own. i personally dont mind the extra few ounces of a stove.

sarman
06-01-2011, 19:12
I was virtually stoveless this spring. alcohol stove for coffee in the am. Hard salami, pepperoni, gorp, tuna, hard cheese, bagels, bananas out of town, deli meats out of town, etc.

I do bring a whisperlite stove for winter backpacking meals.

ncmtns
06-17-2011, 13:42
FRUIT CAKE...very dense and packed with calories