PDA

View Full Version : lightweight shelter?

quantum
01-29-2005, 10:24
I am considering a lightweight alternative to traditional backpack tent and have heard some good stuff about Tarptent squall 2. Has anyone had any experience with this system good or bad?? Thanks.

hungryhowie
01-29-2005, 12:16
I am considering a lightweight alternative to traditional backpack tent and have heard some good stuff about Tarptent squall 2. Has anyone had any experience with this system good or bad?? Thanks.

The Squall 2 is a newly revised version of Henry's Squall Tarptent. While I don't think many (if any) user reports exist on the Sqaull 2 because of its newness (it was just announced a couple of weeks ago), reports abound on the Squall. The vast majority of information out there is very positive about all of Henry's products. If you're needing shelter for two, I would think that the Squall 2 would be a great alternative to a traditional tent. For one person, however, the Virga or Virga2 would be a better choice. Either Virga should have plenty of room for you plus gear.

-howie

elfsmith
01-29-2005, 13:18
Just bought a Squall for my 2005 thru-hike. Sets up in 2 minutes, and that's the first time I'd pitched it. Silnylon is slippery, so I took their advice and "painted" x's on the floor with diluted seam sealer, which works great. I like my pack in my tent at night, so the Squall was a good size for that. Weighs just a few ounces more than the 1-person Virga, and I thought it was worth it. Nice neutral grey, and I stuff it into a sack that's about 6"x8". Using a hiking pole for the front pole, which saves a little bit of weight. Ordered it with the sewn-in floor, and extended vestibule and got it in under 2 weeks from Henry Shires. Hope this helps.

Stuart
01-29-2005, 13:24
I'll put in a third vote for the Shire's TarpTents. I have the Squall and I could not imagine an easier tent to pitch. You almost have to smile each time you set it up... it is that easy.

quantum
01-29-2005, 14:06
thanks for the feedback....I found a bunch more info in the "gear" forum too....after I posted here. After years of killing my knees I think that I am going the lightweight route

Stuart
01-29-2005, 15:15
thanks for the feedback....I found a bunch more info in the "gear" forum too....after I posted here. After years of killing my knees I think that I am going the lightweight route

I truly don't feel that I have lost anything by going lightweight. I won't go back. For me, I may not be able to anyway.... old age has given me a few obstacle to work around and precludes me from hauling 40+ pounds even if I wanted to.

Mother Nature
01-29-2005, 18:26
:sun
"painted" x's on the floor with diluted seam sealerI have a silnylon tarptent and I was going to put "bathtub" nonskid strips on the floor but that was adding weight to the shelter. I like the idea of the diluted seam sealer. What did you use to dilute the silicon sealer?

Thanks.

Mother Nature

neo
01-30-2005, 03:28
i have a really nice brawny tarptent,22oz,42 inches at highest point
9ft long and 54 inches wide,made of silnylon,with no-seeum bugnet and silnylon floor:sun neo

Stuart
01-30-2005, 10:50
:sun I have a silnylon tarptent and I was going to put "bathtub" nonskid strips on the floor but that was adding weight to the shelter. I like the idea of the diluted seam sealer. What did you use to dilute the silicon sealer?

Thanks.

Mother Nature

From the Henry Shire's website....

Seam-sealing
Stress-point seams must be sealed with a silicone-based sealer. An inexpensive product that works well is GE Silicone II clear sealer, available at most hardware stores in a $3 squeeze tube. In a well-ventilated location, squirt about tablespoon into a tuna can and mix it about two tablespoons mineral spirits (paint thinner) or Coleman fuel/white gas. The silicone will dissolve and a semi-viscous solution. Paint the solution on with a small foam brush smooth application. Add more mineral spirits and stir if the solution gets
thick. Set up the tent and seal the seams at the pullouts and along the to protect the stitching (especially at the sleeve entrance seams). For Tarptents with sewn-in flooring, it's a good idea to paint lines of silicone on the floor - slightly thicker mixture than for the roof — to form an anti-skid mat.