PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming of a Thru-Hike. A Few Random Thoughts.

long island bob
05-24-2011, 10:37
I’ve dreamed of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail since I first learned of its existence as a young boy in the 1970’s. A couple times a year as we visited Grandma we’d drive across the Susquehanna River at Duncannon and from time to time we’d spot backpackers along the trail. I always felt like they were making some sort of pilgrimage and that one day I should do it too.

Now that my son is old enough to switch from camping to backpacking maybe I’ll be able to do it some year. Here are a few fandom thoughts and questions from a dreamer, feel free to comment, answer or point out where I am wrong.

Random thought #1
If/when I ever thru-hike I’ll probably flip-flop it. To me the trail begins at Duncannon PA and heads in both directions so it somehow just seems right to hike it that way. First I’ll head south then return and proceed to Katahadin

Additional reasons for choosing this route include
- The ATC recommends such options. It reduces trail crowding etc.
- The middle section is said to be the easiest. It makes sense to start off easy.
- From the reading I’ve done I’d be better off facing the Cumberland Valley and SNP in the snow than Springer Mountain and the Smokies in the snow.
- A traditional S-N route often means arriving in PA in the height of summer, when the springs dry-up.
- I look forward to meeting other thru-hikers but 40-50 people in a shelter is not the type of experience I had envisioned.
- Using this route, I’ll still be in New England when the black flies are gone, the leaves are turning.
- I still get to finish at Kathadin.

More in a moment.

long island bob
05-24-2011, 10:51
Random Thought #2
I’ve done camping, day hiking and a little backpacking but I’ve never had to re-supply enroute. This forum provides me valuable information about what to bring and what to expect. I’m grateful to its creators.

I’ve always preferred to cook with propane canisters. This forum has already taught me that re-supply will not be a problem.

Random Thought #3
How much does a wet beard weigh?

The reading I’ve done tells me that among successful thru-hikers “keeping it light” is a religion. Earl Schaffer and Grandma Gatewood went without a tent. I’ve read of a hiker who drilled seven holes in his toothbrush handle, another who cut his pants cuffs short, and a pair who refused to carry water anywhere except in their stomachs.

I wonder therefore why almost all the men who hike the trail have long hair and scruffy beards. A razor weighs only 2 oz. (I don’t use shaving cream) wouldn’t it be lighter to shave?

Random Thought #4
It seems like the vast majority of people who attempt thru-hikes quit in the first 2-3 weeks, but those who can successfully hike that long have a very high completion rate. That makes me think it would be prudent to first take several 2-3 “tune-up hikes.” I wouldn’t want to put my life on hold for 6-7 months only to fail and return after 2 weeks.

I’ll post more thoughts today or tomorrow.
Responses are appreciated.

truthisnature
05-24-2011, 11:06
I am currently dreaming about my thru hike which cannot become reality until March 2016. (Gotta wait for the kiddo to graduate)
I too am planning to start here in PA ( at Rt 625 ) and head south, then get a ride home for a day or two and then head up to Maine and hike south to home.
I don't like crowds especially on the trails and this way I can start and finish on trails I am used to already, and don't have to worry about finishing in Maine before it closes.
And I read from another that did it this way that you miss alot of the colder weather.
I will probably still have the black flies to deal with, but oh well.

One tidbit if you are starting in PA...get out on our trails for practice...we aren't called Rocksylvania for nothing. Many miles that make you cry for just one place to take a solid flat step. :)

long island bob
05-24-2011, 11:10
I am currently dreaming about my thru hike which cannot become reality until March 2016. (Gotta wait for the kiddo to graduate)
I too am planning to start here in PA ( at Rt 625 ) and head south, then get a ride home for a day or two and then head up to Maine and hike south to home.
I don't like crowds especially on the trails and this way I can start and finish on trails I am used to already, and don't have to worry about finishing in Maine before it closes.
And I read from another that did it this way that you miss alot of the colder weather.
I will probably still have the black flies to deal with, but oh well.

One tidbit if you are starting in PA...get out on our trails for practice...we aren't called Rocksylvania for nothing. Many miles that make you cry for just one place to take a solid flat step. :)

Thanks.

Yeah I read somewhere that in PA the trail volunteers came out and sharpen the rocks every year. ;) Sounds like a terrible place to slip on the ice.

BrianLe
05-24-2011, 11:47
"It seems like the vast majority of people who attempt thru-hikes quit in the first 2-3 weeks, but those who can successfully hike that long have a very high completion rate. That makes me think it would be prudent to first take several 2-3 “tune-up hikes.”"

This is wisdom. I would also suggest that you do at least one reasonably long hike solo (by your self). And if you actually do end up doing more than one reasonably long shake-down hike, try to do the last one with as close as you can to the same gear mix that you plan to thru-hike with.

Shaving hair/beard: Personally, I think it's more practical to just stop in a town with a barbershop once or twice along the way. The clear reason folks let it grow is to have one less thing to mess with; I know that some folks do shave on the trail (including shaving their head), but I'd never want to mess with it.
Another solution that worked for me was to recognize a couple of town locations where I would be mailing things both directions. Those boxes included an electric beard trimmer, comb, and scissors that I could use in a motel or hostel and then mail back home.

long island bob
05-24-2011, 14:12
This is wisdom. I would also suggest that you do at least one reasonably long hike solo (by your self). And if you actually do end up doing more than one reasonably long shake-down hike, try to do the last one with as close as you can to the same gear mix that you plan to thru-hike with.

Shaving hair/beard: Personally, I think it's more practical to just stop in a town with a barbershop once or twice along the way. The clear reason folks let it grow is to have one less thing to mess with; I know that some folks do shave on the trail (including shaving their head), but I'd never want to mess with it.
Another solution that worked for me was to recognize a couple of town locations where I would be mailing things both directions. Those boxes included an electric beard trimmer, comb, and scissors that I could use in a motel or hostel and then mail back home.

I guess that makes sense.

My Dad couldn't shave without shaving foam and lots of hot water. I suppose for folks like that they reduce weight and time by not shaving. I spent my 20's hosteling instead of hiking.

The hosteling culture teaches one:
- to shave using cold water and brown soap
- use the same soap to wash your hair clothes and dishes.

What backpacking I've done (decades ago) has never invovled resupplying while underway (weekends or extended weekends only) so I have a lot to learn.

Monkeywrench
05-25-2011, 08:29
Thanks.

Yeah I read somewhere that in PA the trail volunteers came out and sharpen the rocks every year. ;) Sounds like a terrible place to slip on the ice.

Trail maintenance supplies in PA: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ln9ZLj2QsiQzVGB018SfLg?feat=directlink

long island bob
05-25-2011, 17:22
Random thought #5
Bill Bryson’s book about the AT is the worst I’ve ever read. He describes it as an attempt to “rediscover America” (after living many years overseas), but apparently the only things he discovered are
- He was right about everything, there is nothing to rediscover. Southern white folk really are a bunch of inbred murdering rapists.
- He was right about everything, there is nothing to rediscover. Christians really are stupid.
- He was right about everything, there is nothing to rediscover.

Winton Porter’s book is probably the best book I’ve ever read about the Appalachian trail.

Random thought #6
The AT was intended to be accessible to the population, as such in PA and NJ etc. etc. traverses the very edge of the Appalachians. Heck from the Bear Mountain summit you can even see New York City. That’s not a problem really, but it does mean that in NJ if you walk a few feet to the east (and several hundred feet down) you will have left the Appalachians.

Anyway, it was never intended to be a “deep wilderness trail.”

Random thought #7
They should allow dogs along the entire trail.
Grizzly bears are more dangerous than Black bears.
Polar Bears are more dangerous than Grizzlies.

Moose are more dangerous still.

WingedMonkey
05-25-2011, 18:28
Random thought:
Stop reading online forums and others books for a while and go hiking.

:)

long island bob
05-25-2011, 19:51
Random thought:
Stop reading online forums and others books for a while and go hiking.

:)

LOL,
best advice ever!

I'll be back after a 20 mile day-hike.

long island bob
05-25-2011, 19:52
Wink (gonna keep reading until then though)

tolkien
05-25-2011, 20:37
Random Thought #2
I’ve done camping, day hiking and a little backpacking but I’ve never had to re-supply enroute. This forum provides me valuable information about what to bring and what to expect. I’m grateful to its creators.

I’ve always preferred to cook with propane canisters. This forum has already taught me that re-supply will not be a problem.

Random Thought #3

The reading I’ve done tells me that among successful thru-hikers “keeping it light” is a religion. Earl Schaffer and Grandma Gatewood went without a tent. I’ve read of a hiker who drilled seven holes in his toothbrush handle, another who cut his pants cuffs short, and a pair who refused to carry water anywhere except in their stomachs.

I wonder therefore why almost all the men who hike the trail have long hair and scruffy beards. A razor weighs only 2 oz. (I don’t use shaving cream) wouldn’t it be lighter to shave?

Random Thought #4
It seems like the vast majority of people who attempt thru-hikes quit in the first 2-3 weeks, but those who can successfully hike that long have a very high completion rate. That makes me think it would be prudent to first take several 2-3 “tune-up hikes.” I wouldn’t want to put my life on hold for 6-7 months only to fail and return after 2 weeks.

The only way to train for lugging a pack up a hill is to lug a pack up a hill, so that "tune up" hike is a good idea. Another good idea is to go on a 2-3 day hike once you've got your gear so you can test it, because if something works well in your living room it may not work well in the woods.
If lightweight is a religion, Beards are a turban. Most hikers are proud of looking like vagabonds, and there are several posts complaining about how they are having trouble growing a beard.
Maildrops are falling out of favor, it would seem, due to the complications of managing them. Bounces boxes are a happy medium between resuplying when needed and having a mail drop, but I prefer to not deal with that at all.

And as far as dogs go, you are legally allowd to bring a dog on the trail. But it's your responsiblity to make sure the dog is a good trail dog, and in most places it is either a legal requirement or strongly recomended that you leash the dog.

long island bob
05-25-2011, 21:11
The only way to train for lugging a pack up a hill is to lug a pack up a hill, so that "tune up" hike is a good idea. Another good idea is to go on a 2-3 day hike once you've got your gear so you can test it, because if something works well in your living room it may not work well in the woods.
If lightweight is a religion, Beards are a turban. Most hikers are proud of looking like vagabonds, and there are several posts complaining about how they are having trouble growing a beard.
Maildrops are falling out of favor, it would seem, due to the complications of managing them. Bounces boxes are a happy medium between resuplying when needed and having a mail drop, but I prefer to not deal with that at all.

And as far as dogs go, you are legally allowd to bring a dog on the trail. But it's your responsiblity to make sure the dog is a good trail dog, and in most places it is either a legal requirement or strongly recomended that you leash the dog.

Please keep posting.

I'm gonna shut up now untl I've taken a hike that is long enough to require re-supply along the way.

(Closes mouth with both hands)

mrrglegurph . . . still reading just ain't posting 'til I can do it." . . . mrrglegurph . . . swallow uuuurph

LIhikers
05-25-2011, 21:22
Bob,
If you're willing to go off island for some hiking and backpacking let me suggest you check out Harriman State Park. Get the maps produced by the NY/NJ Trail Conferrence and have some fun. There are AT style shelters in the park and you can do a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip by using all of the various trails in different combinations. It's a great place to enjoy the outdoors,sharpen your skills, and test gear for that thru hike.

As for Random thought #1...I would want to go north first so that I didn't have a time constraint as to when I had to get to Katahdin.
"If/when I ever thru-hike I’ll probably flip-flop it. To me the trail begins at Duncannon PA and heads in both directions so it somehow just seems right to hike it that way. First I’ll head south then return and proceed to Katahadin"

Cookerhiker
05-25-2011, 21:23
...Random thought #1
If/when I ever thru-hike I’ll probably flip-flop it. To me the trail begins at Duncannon PA and heads in both directions so it somehow just seems right to hike it that way. First I’ll head south then return and proceed to Katahadin

Additional reasons for choosing this route include
- The ATC recommends such options. It reduces trail crowding etc.
- The middle section is said to be the easiest. It makes sense to start off easy.
- From the reading I’ve done I’d be better off facing the Cumberland Valley and SNP in the snow than Springer Mountain and the Smokies in the snow.
- A traditional S-N route often means arriving in PA in the height of summer, when the springs dry-up.
- I look forward to meeting other thru-hikers but 40-50 people in a shelter is not the type of experience I had envisioned.
- Using this route, I’ll still be in New England when the black flies are gone, the leaves are turning.
- I still get to finish at Kathadin.....

....I too am planning to start here in PA ( at Rt 625 ) and head south, then get a ride home for a day or two and then head up to Maine and hike south to home.
I will probably still have the black flies to deal with, but oh well...

Finishing at Katahdin is nice but since Duncannon is very meaningful for you, you may want to consider TruthisNature's approach. If you start a April 1 SOBO to Springer taking you 3 months, then resuming NOBO at Duncannon means you're still hiking PA and the rest of the mid-Atlantic in the hot summer when the springs are getting dry. Starting March 1 mitigates this somewhat as long as you don't mind some cold weather.

If I were to thruhike (I've section-hiked the whole Trail), I'd start May 1 at Harpers Ferry NOBO to Katahdin, then flip to Springer and hike to Harpers Ferry.

Random thought #5
Moose are more dangerous still.

I spent 2 months in Alaska last summer and the NPS rangers confirm your statement. More people die from moose encounters than grizzlies, and that's not just from road accidents.

sbhikes
05-25-2011, 22:53
The resupply thing is totally no big deal. You resupply your groceries at home, right? It's like that.

I dreamed of hiking the PCT since 1975. I finally did it in 2008 and 2009. Greatest time in my life!

long island bob
05-26-2011, 09:14
Please keep posting.

I'm gonna shut up now untl I've taken a hike that is long enough to require re-supply along the way.

(Closes mouth with both hands)

mrrglegurph . . . still reading just ain't posting 'til I can do it." . . . mrrglegurph . . . swallow uuuurph

Just kidding

Yeah, I've got a couple of day hikes planned and depending on budget (we just moved and encountered some unforeseen moving expenses) I might hike the adirondacks this summer with the family.

stranger
05-26-2011, 09:24
Random Thought #2

Random Thought #3

Random Thought #4

That's a good point, but also keep in mind that there are some hikers who have no problem hiking 3, 4, 5, 600 miles, but tend to lose interest after that. I'm one of them, I can hike 500 miles in my sleep, but then something happens and I want to do something else haha!

But yeah, if you can make it to the two week mark, you have what it takes to finish, the question may simply becomes do you want to finish?

stranger
05-26-2011, 09:27
Seeing that you are in NY, you might want to try something like the Northville-Placid Trail in the Dacks, 122 trail miles, or for something easier both physically and logistically, the Susquehannock Trail out in Western PA, 84 mile loop trail, with a town with PO, deli, bar and motel just past halfway point.

Both are great trails and good warm ups to something like a thru or long distance section.

long island bob
05-26-2011, 14:49
Finishing at Katahdin is nice but since Duncannon is very meaningful for you, you may want to consider TruthisNature's approach. If you start a April 1 SOBO to Springer taking you 3 months, then resuming NOBO at Duncannon means you're still hiking PA and the rest of the mid-Atlantic in the hot summer when the springs are getting dry. Starting March 1 mitigates this somewhat as long as you don't mind some cold weather.

If I were to thruhike (I've section-hiked the whole Trail), I'd start May 1 at Harpers Ferry NOBO to Katahdin, then flip to Springer and hike to Harpers Ferry.

I spent 2 months in Alaska last summer and the NPS rangers confirm your statement. More people die from moose encounters than grizzlies, and that's not just from road accidents.

Hmm, yeah I guess my plan DOES mean I'll hike half of PA in the height of summer (when the springs are running dry.)

Lemme see
Mar 1 start at Duncannon at a slow beginner's pace of 10 miles a day then
- 420 miles means On April 12 I'd be in Roanoke VA
- 25 days later roughly May 10, (still at 10 miles per day) I'd be entering TN

I could pick up the pace a little, but the terrain gets rougher.
- At 13 miles per day I'd reach Springer Mountain 35 days later in Mid June.

Then It's back to Duncannon and easy terrain (20 miles a day) means
- 7 days to Delware Water Gap
- 11 more days to the MASS line where the terrain starts to toughen

End of June I'd be entering Mass and down to 15 miles per day (lack of water in the Mid Atlantic states would no longer be an issue)
- six days to the Vt state line

Terrain is tougher, so . . . back to 13 miles per day
- 45 more days at 13 miles per day puts me On Katahdin in late August.

Of course the above assumes no zeros and no neros (not likely) Add in 30 of those and it looks like I'd be on top of Katahdin in late September.

I'd probably STILL run into a few PA-NJ water problems, but I guess that's part of the experience.

stranger
05-26-2011, 19:23
While planning is always useful for logistical purposes, planning is only relevant if the person planning has an accurate understanding of their own tendencies once on the trail.

You might find 10 miles can take you 6 hours, you might also find it will take you 3 hours.

How will you react to blisters burning the back of your heels on a rainy day on your second day out of town? Will you keep pushing or will you head into town again to rest them?

Finances determine so much on a hike, will need to think about that. A 4 month hike is cheaper than a 6 month hike, etc...

Often planning goes out the window with the first step, or rain drop, or blister...and while it's fun to do, I love planning, I also have a very good understanding of what will happen once out there.

As others have said...take a hike, things get very clear, very quickly, especially in the rain.

Cookerhiker
05-26-2011, 19:46
Hmm, yeah I guess my plan DOES mean I'll hike half of PA in the height of summer (when the springs are running dry.)

Lemme see
Mar 1 start at Duncannon at a slow beginner's pace of 10 miles a day then
- 420 miles means On April 12 I'd be in Roanoke VA
- 25 days later roughly May 10, (still at 10 miles per day) I'd be entering TN

I could pick up the pace a little, but the terrain gets rougher.
- At 13 miles per day I'd reach Springer Mountain 35 days later in Mid June.

Then It's back to Duncannon and easy terrain (20 miles a day) means
- 7 days to Delware Water Gap
- 11 more days to the MASS line where the terrain starts to toughen

End of June I'd be entering Mass and down to 15 miles per day (lack of water in the Mid Atlantic states would no longer be an issue)
- six days to the Vt state line

Terrain is tougher, so . . . back to 13 miles per day
- 45 more days at 13 miles per day puts me On Katahdin in late August.

Of course the above assumes no zeros and no neros (not likely) Add in 30 of those and it looks like I'd be on top of Katahdin in late September.

I'd probably STILL run into a few PA-NJ water problems, but I guess that's part of the experience.

Bottom line first: with your March 1 start date, you'll make it to Katahdin OK barring injury or too many zero days.

On the one hand, you'll probably average more than 10 mpd at the outset. For example, consider the first 2 days: Leaving Duncannon, it's 11.3 miles to Darlington shelter and then comes the Cumberland Valley walk with 14,3 miles to Boiling Springs on your second day, all of which is initially downhill, then easy level valley walk. It would not be a stretch to hike 12.2 miles your 3rd day to Frye Shelter. So right away, you've averaged over 12 mpd. There are some rocky areas and a few ups & downs to slow you but as you pointed out, it's not as challenging as starting at either end of the AT.

On the other hand, figuring on an average of 20 mpd from Duncannon all the way to MA is a tad ambitious IMO. PA east of the Susquehanna has little elevation change but the rocks can slow you down. It would be very difficult to hike 20 mile days between Greenwood Lake and Bear Mountain, NY with all the steep ups & downs.

One other point depending how heat-tolerant you are: I find the mid-summer heat & humidity of the mid-Atlantic most unpleasant. My worst AT section hike was 4 days in NJ in mid-June when the nights were so oppressive, I lay on the sleeping bag sweating all night. Just sayin'

But again, go for it. You'll make it to Katahdin. Have a fabulous hike!