PDA

View Full Version : Any Thru-Hikers still use external frame backpacks?

Silverstone
05-24-2011, 12:52
I know there is a gear review section, so I apologize if this is in the wrong area (rookie mistake if so), but I wanted thru-hiker opinions, especially those with more recent experience.

I'm leaning heavily towards an external frame pack--I like the old-skool vibe, to be sure--but honestly, I'm not digging internal frame packs. I tried to put on my brother's pack a few weeks ago, and hated it. It's one of those $300 monsters from REI, and it felt like it would make my back sweat after about 30 seconds on the trail. And I looked like the old guy on the cover of the Led Zeppelin album.

I'm actually leaning toward a less-expensive Jansport Carson model. It has good reviews on Amazon, but I'm more concerned with the utility of it on the AT from folks who have done long-distance hiking with an external frame pack.

Thanks,

Silverstone

mweinstone
05-24-2011, 12:55
you mean like for the brunt of jokes? kidding. all pack typs are still relevent and allways will be. even alice. though shes a ho.

max patch
05-24-2011, 13:17
I used an external on my thru and still use one today. The only time I don't use an external is on day hikes.

External users are in the 1% minority.

Pedaling Fool
05-24-2011, 14:10
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/UbiquitousMaine-bogbridge.JPG (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=18163&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6936)

long island bob
05-24-2011, 14:14
I am not a thru-hiker but I have personally experienced that
1. External frame backpacks keep you much cooler in the summer
2. Are a real burden (upset your balance) in rough terrain.

Hey John Galt tell me about those boots.

max patch
05-24-2011, 14:22
I am not a thru-hiker but I have personally experienced that External frame backpacks are a real burden (upset your balance) in rough terrain.

That true, but the AT is a groomed trail so that comment does not apply.

CrumbSnatcher
05-24-2011, 14:34
nothing better:cool:

long island bob
05-24-2011, 14:51

I'll have to take your word for it (that's part of why I come on this forum.)

My reading tells me the Northern and Southern most sections of the AT are somewhat rugged (so rugged that most thru-hikers dispense with their backpacks altogether and use only a day bag when making the final climb of Katahdin.)

Then again Grandma Gatewood did it in a skirt and with no backpack, (only a laundry bag) so what do I know?

Thanks for the input.

Deadeye
05-24-2011, 14:55
Externals are much cooler IMO, and I still use mine in the hot months. Never found balance to be an issue, but I got in the habit of loosening the hip belt in tough terrain to lower the center of gravity. Also need to be aware of the metal frame sticking out your backside, that can sometimes catch on things, such as when buttsliding.

solobip
05-24-2011, 15:27
I have used a Kelty Super Tiago for about 20 years, it is the toughest, most convenient pack. Lots of space, straps, and super adjustable. I have never lost my balance with it. I admire the internal pack for their compactness but when I get to camp andwatch the internal packers unload everything in their pack to set camp, or cook dinner, i am amazed I can also pack and leave camp before they do because of the repacking they have to do. Mabe the external pockets are the key, one for 1st aid 1 for fire/sanitation one for water one for food/coook one for shelter/bag & gear My pack weight is right under 5 lbs. and most of the non UL are that or more, so I figure why switch. Go External.

booney_1
05-24-2011, 15:30
Groomed trail??? I must have made a wrong turn somewhere. I seem to remember many hills up/down that looked like stream beds filled with boulders. Maybe it's not an issue for younger hikers, but the balance difference is real and makes me much more comfortable hopping from rock to rock. That said...you tend to get used to things, I hiked for a long time with an old external frame back that was very comfortable. In the summer internals are awful hot....(and end up very wet...)

Jim Adams
05-24-2011, 15:35
I thru hiked with an external in 1990, an internal in 2002 and an internal on the PCT in '07...after 21 years I have gone back to externals. They are far more comfortable, far cooler and I have never had a balance issue. Would I rock climb with one? No, But I also don't take chalks, nuts and friends backpacking.
Use an external if that is what you feel comfortable with. The distance is rough enough...use what will make your trip easier for you.

geek

Lone Wolf
05-24-2011, 16:00
I'll have to take your word for it (that's part of why I come on this forum.)

My reading tells me the Northern and Southern most sections of the AT are somewhat rugged (so rugged that most thru-hikers dispense with their backpacks altogether and use only a day bag when making the final climb of Katahdin.)

Then again Grandma Gatewood did it in a skirt and with no backpack, (only a laundry bag) so what do I know?

Thanks for the input.
i've climbed katahdin 4 times with a full frame pack. i've never had to take off my pack in any terrain on the AT

long island bob
05-24-2011, 16:09
I'm glad the the experienced thru-hikers etc. are still chiming in on this.

I add my 2 cents not because "my advice is supreme," but becasue i legitmately want to know what the more experienced hikers think of my ideas.

My reading tells me that the trail is rugged enough in the N-most and S-most stretches that anyone who can afford an internal frame backpack should consider one.

My experience tells me that external frame backpacks are MUCH less hot that external frames and would be a real plus in the summer months . . . while traversing VA and PA.

tolkien
05-24-2011, 20:26
There's a gear review section? I've been looking for something like that forever. Where is it? It's not on the main page.
Also, take a look at the Kelty Yukon 4800. It's external frame and cheaper and lighter than most Jansport's I've looked at. If you want something not quite as big, Kelty Trekker 3900 is solid, too. Yes externals are still used.

tolkien
05-24-2011, 20:30
[QUOTE=long island bob;1164019]
My experience tells me that external frame backpacks are MUCH less hot that external frames and would be a real plus in the summer months . . . while traversing VA and PA.[
/QUOTE]
Umm... I think one of those should be "internal"

sbhikes
05-24-2011, 21:04
Every time I've hiked the PCT I've met thru hikers using external frame packs. If you like them, go for it.

TheCheek
05-24-2011, 23:14
I did a thru with my big ole Jansport external in 2005 and loved it. Extra weight but much more comfortable, cool, and easier access/storage. I say this having also spent a couple months of the hike using a golite internal, so I got used to both. No doubt I was able to go lighter with the internal but I was eager to get the external back simply for comfort.

To the earlier points made about throwing you off balance etc.: after a few weeks of your thru, your backpack becomes an extension of you and you become totally accustomed to any center of balance changes and how it affects your footing and momentum, so I see that factor as irrelevant outside of the first few weeks. And yes the AT is a groomed trail but that doesn't mean it has easy footing the whole way. More challenging parts in terms of footing and maneuvering are eastern PA and anywhere north of Glencliff NH.

BrianLe
05-25-2011, 12:17
max patch said:

"That true, but the AT is a groomed trail so that comment does not apply"

I'm with booney_1 here, on reading that I immediately wondered if max patch has either not done the Whites, but clearly s/he has, so perhaps has since blocked out the memory ... :-)
Certainly it is true for most of the trail, at least when not in a lot of snow. Or slick rock in the rain, when balance can also be at a premium.

My own experience on two long trails now was of seeing almost no external frame packs, particularly among thru-hikers. The one case I can recall was motivated I believe by economics --- he had inherited an old Jansport pack and saved money by using it. Overall this guy was carrying a heavy load but making good time; strong as a bull, however. I don't recommend this approach to ordinary mortals.

jburgasser
05-25-2011, 12:27
My father-in-law uses a Kelty Trekker external and loves it. I plan on buying one before our next long-term excursion. Internals are great for scrambling around on really rough terrain where you are using your hands a lot. But the A.T. does not fall into that category (mostly). The high center of gravity you get from the external makes for great weight transfer of your shoulders and onto your hips. The externals let you stand up straight, and cost less than the more fashionable internals. And the externals seem to have more pockets/separations so organizing your gear is a lot easier. Really, I think the external is the way to go for the A. T.

JB

Pony
05-25-2011, 15:01
Around 3,000 miles on my Kelty and it's still in great shape. I wouldn't trade it for the most expensive fancy pack in the world.

Blissful
05-25-2011, 16:10
357 Magnum used one in '07

One Half
05-25-2011, 21:20
very interesting. just on REI yesterday and didnt even see an external. just bought my first internal though and it's half the weight of my old Jansport.

CrumbSnatcher
05-25-2011, 21:23
its not the weight of the pack, its what the pack does with the weight :-)
external til i die!

tolkien
06-02-2011, 20:41
Some basics:
Internal
- Typically lighter, although YMMV
- Typically more expensive, although, again, YMMV
- Easier to move about in (good for rough trails)
External
- Easier to pack, as the pack distributes the weight better, in theory, where you put your stuff doesn't matter quite as much
- More comfortable, as the weight is held closer to your center of gravity, although, as always, YMMV
- Better ventilation; no sweaty back

Here's how I see it: Internals are for mountain climbing, kayaking, skiing, etc. where you need to be mobile and agile. Externals are for walking, where the biggest problem is simple fatiuge: step after step after step after step after step.

For a long (AT) hike, I'd use an external frame. Personal recomendation, Kelty Yukkon 4800 or Kelty Trekker 3900. If I had to use an internal, I'd be an Osprey Atmos 5800: it avoids a lot of the problems associated with internals.

k2basecamp
06-02-2011, 21:32
Is the best pack ever made ! Easy to pack/unpack, easy to carry. If you can find a vintage one try it - you'll never go back to an internal on long trips. The aircraft aluminum frame is different than all other externals.

You know it's an Alpenlite because it will stand up by itself when you take it off.

stranger
06-05-2011, 22:59
Other than some of the obvious pros and cons already listed, you will need to think about clearance and noise.

For me, these are two very big drawbacks to externals. I don't want to think about how much I need to bend down to clear a branch, having to accomodate another 6 inches or so can be frustrating. I like to know that if I can get by, the pack can...sometimes with externals, the pack can get caught even though you made it through!

External packs make alot of noise, especially on warm, dry days, squeak, squeak, squeak...do not underestimate this!

External packs are definately easier to hike with, internals are definately easier to live out of. So while hiking, sure an external is great on moderate well defined trail, but hitching into town, jumping into the back of pickup trucks, storing your pack in a tent or vestibule, or in a tight shelter, hostel, using your pack for insulation against the ground, mobility, control, internals are better generally speaking.

But for me, the reason I moved from external frames was the bulk factor, the lack of control and the noise. Plus I never thought internals were overly hot and I never valued pockets or having gear outside my pack, those are common external 'benefits' for many people.

Externals are fine, Kelty has been making solid ones for years.

oruacat2
06-12-2011, 01:59
Interesting thread. I've been thinking about selling my old Dana Designs Longbed, but you guys have just about convinced me to hold onto her.

brian039
06-13-2011, 01:48
Internals are meant for carrying light loads so it just depends on how much weight you're carrying whether it would be comfortable or not. You don't see many thru-hikers with externals because it's so easy to keep your pack-weight down and go with a lighter internal frame pack. I personally prefer externals whenever I'm carrying 35 lbs+ but I was never anywhere near that on my thru. The only draw-back to internals is back sweat but I think they're overall more comfortable as long as you keep your weight down.

ScottP
06-14-2011, 19:06
I've ran into several very experienced hikers using externals.

If you're carrying enough stuff that you would consider an external frame, then the difference between an external and an internal frame is probably not a very big deal.

Just be aware that there are hundreds of 'right' ways to hike--try to look into as many different methods as you can before you gear up. As long as you're not carrying so much crap that you wreck your knees or not carrying the things you need to be safe, you're doing it right.

Just be aware that it is possible to thru-hike comfortably and safely with 5 pounds (or even less) of total gear (not counting food/water), and it's also possible to carry a tuba the entire length of the trail.

patjune19
06-25-2011, 00:10
Ive hiked steep parts of the AT with an external frame and I noticed the lack of balance with the external frame pack

skinewmexico
06-25-2011, 00:46
Alpenlite made such great packs; we still have a couple of small ones we use for loaners in our Scout troop. And if I'm having to carry a lot of water, or a chainsaw, or elk parts, I still grab my Jansport D5. The hip belt wings were genius. And I have Kelty 50th anniversary, that weighs a little under 4#. I don't think internals are that big a deal, even though I use one most of the time. Hot for sure. Use the right tool for the job.

k2basecamp
06-25-2011, 06:47
The mighty Alpenlite in the Whites yesterday. I have 3 Alpenlites now and counting
No sweaty back for me ! My medium-sized Alpenlite also does not stick up over my head so no
problem with branches. Also doesn't make any noise ! Newer is not better.

k2basecamp
06-25-2011, 06:58
Also note in the picture the hydration hose. The lower compartment fits my solo tent and a 2 liter hydration bladder from my trail running pack (Innov-8) This is the same exact pack that I used on my thru hike 30 years ago and will be the same pack I use next month when I start South from Katahdin for 400 miles. The only thing that I've replacedis one lost cap on the top of the frame all the rest is original - shoulder straps, hip belt, zippers. . .

Simply one of the best American-made products ever.

Milo Garcia and the Parapackers

http://www.unclerust.com

Nutbrown
06-25-2011, 12:20
My husband still uses his old boyscout external canvas pack. He's just stubborn though and will never spend money on something that he already has to save a pound or 2. That thing will fall apart sooner.

yaduck9
06-25-2011, 12:59
Reading this thread makes me wonder why I let my CAMPTRAILS ADJUSTABLE II go.

The only issue I had with it was that I would tend to carry too much stuff

Sly
06-25-2011, 13:55
Warraghy and VonFick both use Camp Trails. external frame packs.

will1972
06-25-2011, 15:10
I used externals in the past and internals the last few years. I'm at a point where I would like to try a smaller external. IMO externals are way more comfortable over longer distances. My daughter thinks I'm crazy for even considering it. She is such a hiker snob. :)

zeus307
06-25-2011, 16:38
I am old school when it comes to packs. I just like an external frame. I prefer the external for its ease of setting down and getting put back on. And just the way they feel. Call me old school.

lemon b
07-01-2011, 08:54
Just switched from a Kelty Super Tiago after years to an Osprey Altmos 65. Jury is still out. The decrease in pounds helps alot. The lack of pockets is taking some adjustment. Which is somewhat of a good thing because with all those pockets I did have a tendencey to carry some unnecessary gear. So far the balance of the Osprey seems to be better although I just haven't had the time to put in enough miles to definitivity say. Like wiser people then I say hike your own hike.